Rumor: Joe Thornton wants to stay with the Sharks, will take paycut

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Jumbo Joe is literally the last remnant of the 90's superstars with Jagr and Iginla done. It'll be a Sad day when he hangs it up.

That said he is one of the best playmakers to ever play that I can see him putting up 40+ assists a season playing on one leg in his mid 40s. His game is so much more then physical skills.

He's the reason the Sharks have been solid since 2004. Also, Marleau and others, of course, but none like Thornton.

Reactions: 405Exit

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Yeah but, no championship. I always assumed statues were reserved for champions.
giphy.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How much is a paycut really ? Does he means a paycut from the 8M he is making? So around 5M ? The thing is right now 5M is about what he is worth therefore 5M isn't really a paycut lol

A pay cut is pretty self-explanatory. I don't know why you're needlessly complicating it. All it is is a cut in what he gets paid. 1 dollar less than the 8 mil he got is a pay cut. So saying 5 mil isn't a pay cut is simply false. It is. Just because they may have overcompensated him this past year based on many years of being undercompensated doesn't change what a pay cut is. Thornton is worth roughly 6 million right now based on his previous season's production prorated. An NMC likely decreases that number as does the injuries of the last couple seasons. Regardless of that, they should put a good chunk of it in performance bonuses and allow themselves the flexibility of going over the salary cap.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dont really see why SJ doesnt do it,finding a better center in F/A wont happen at the speculated salary he is willing to sign for ...

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Thorton may not push them over the top to win a cup,but making the playoffs should be a achievable goal for SJ ...

It's been heavily rumoured that the Sharks are going to go hard for Tavares, they have the cap space to do it. IF they do end up signing Tavares, having Thornton centre a third line behind Tavares and Hertl would be huge for there offensive depth and would definitely make them a contender.

Reactions: topshelf15

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Jumbo Joe is literally the last remnant of the 90's superstars with Jagr and Iginla done. It'll be a Sad day when he hangs it up.

That said he is one of the best playmakers to ever play that I can see him putting up 40+ assists a season playing on one leg in his mid 40s. His game is so much more then physical skills.

Thornton didn't become a superstar until the 2000s. I'd still call him the last of his era though.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
This would be a pretty sick forward group:

Evander Kane - Joe Thornton - Joe Pavelski
Logan Couture - John Tavares - Kevin Labanc
Timo Meier - Tomas Hertl - Joonas Donskoi
Mikkel Boedker - Chris Tierney - Melker Karlsson
Could they afford Tavares, Thorton and Kane? 60 mill tied up without those 3 signed already

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Could they afford Tavares, Thorton and Kane? 60 mill tied up without those 3 signed already

Read what I replied to. Someone posted the cap and signings in a image. And yes it can work with 250+ k remaining.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
If San Jose signs Kane, Tavares, Thornton. They are by far the favorites to win the west and arguably the Cup.

That team would be scary good.

Betting Kane would be close to a 40 goal scorer with Tavares as his center.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

They could because Thornton can sign for a cheap salary and take bonuses. The problem is that the Sharks' blue line that needs some tinkering likely gets no better since someone like DeMelo would still be playing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They could because Thornton can sign for a cheap salary and take bonuses. The problem is that the Sharks' blue line that needs some tinkering likely gets no better since someone like DeMelo would still be playing.
And that is the one question that I would be asking if I was Tavares. Do the sharks have young D coming up because burns is 33 and vlasic is 32 in 2018.

Can see the drop off in play of fellow 2003 D in seabrook and Weber. How many high Nd years does burns have left? At his price, he’s not a contract that can be easily moved at 36. So, the window for the Sharks might be too narrow for a guy like Tavares.

But, I’m not knowledgeable enough about the Sharks D prospects to say what is coming up. But, that should be a major consideration for Tavares. How big is the teams window to win?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And that is the one question that I would be asking if I was Tavares. Do the sharks have young D coming up because burns is 33 and vlasic is 32 in 2018.

Can see the drop off in play of fellow 2003 D in seabrook and Weber. How many high Nd years does burns have left? At his price, he’s not a contract that can be easily moved at 36. So, the window for the Sharks might be too narrow for a guy like Tavares.

But, I’m not knowledgeable enough about the Sharks D prospects to say what is coming up. But, that should be a major consideration for Tavares. How big is the teams window to win?

If we're going to talk about positions for major consideration, it's not going to be the defense. It's going to be goaltending. Goaltending is what dogged Tavares' teams on the island and if that's going to main focus from that perspective, Jones is probably the best among the most talked about suitors in terms of being there for a while. Fleury is having a hell of a season but could be gone after next season. The Islanders still don't have a goalie. New Jersey has Schneider who is coming off back-to-back disappointing seasons. St. Louis doesn't really know what they have in Jake Allen and their future goalie is still probably a couple years away in Husso. Montreal has Carey Price and that's a damn good goalie signed for a while but is the team in front of Price as good as the Sharks even with Tavares? I doubt it.

In any case, I doubt that the blue line is the big concern for Tavares. If anything, goaltending would be but I doubt even that is that much of a concern. His signing will probably be determined by what is the best fit for him and his family outside the rink more than probably who gives him the most money or who would be the best team that could fit him in or who has the best future ahead of them.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Thornton didn't become a superstar until the 2000s. I'd still call him the last of his era though.

He was drafted in 1997, played since 97-98 as an 18 year old #1 pick and was a burgeoning top line forward by 99-00 (60 points) and ppg by 00-01. He definitely qualifies as a 90s era player.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This would be a pretty sick forward group:

Evander Kane - Joe Thornton - Joe Pavelski
Logan Couture - John Tavares - Kevin Labanc
Timo Meier - Tomas Hertl - Joonas Donskoi
Mikkel Boedker - Chris Tierney - Melker Karlsson

i have checked cap friendly, there is no way that roster fits. Lets say it's a 80m cap

thats 19.5m total cap for them, Hertl will get a raise to about 4.5m, JT 10/11m

leaving 4.5m/5.5m ish for Joe/Kane/Tierney(RFA)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad