Rumor: Joe Thornton wants to stay with the Sharks, will take paycut

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
the sharks never seem to get over the hump and imo it doesn't look like they will next season.

on a less serious note, for ****s and giggles he should sign with boston

You do realize these are people with families and other considerations outside of hockey right?

Some people aren't willing to just play nomad and would rather just stay where they're comfortable.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is exactly what I suggest he and Marleau should do last year when the Oilers bumped them from the Playoffs. Thornton should take a discount and give his Sharks a chance at being legit contenders with some newly acquired talent. Jumbos a legend that's done everything in the game but win a Cup. Why wouldn't he do this in the twilight of his career, he already has enough money.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Can't say i blame him. They're a good team and he fits the culture like a glove.

Also, could those non leaf fans infatuated with them take a break from trying to bring them into every thread?
Go outside and play or something.

Reactions: Grub and ToneDog

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thornton doesn't need to necessarily take a paycut. He just needs to have his agent and DW figure out a good way to put a chunk of what he'd make into bonuses he would likely achieve. It wouldn't be difficult to sign him for 5 mil and put another 3 mil in bonuses.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm assuming Thornton's got a borderline guaranteed front-office job in SJ the day he retires no?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hard to see him in any other jersey.
t_44039.jpg

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You do realize these are people with families and other considerations outside of hockey right?

Some people aren't willing to just play nomad and would rather just stay where they're comfortable.

Very good point. Thornton has been in California for years and years now. To pick up and move on the last stint of his NHL career is absurd. Finish it out in San Jose Thornton

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
For Jumbo Joe, someone wins the Stanley Cup every year, but very few players get a statue outside their arena.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm glad he's staying. He is the San Jose Sharks.
I thought we'd see a sad repeat of the Iglina saga.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Thornton doesn't need to necessarily take a paycut. He just needs to have his agent and DW figure out a good way to put a chunk of what he'd make into bonuses he would likely achieve. It wouldn't be difficult to sign him for 5 mil and put another 3 mil in bonuses.

San Jose is gonna be good if they resign Kane. Thornton is the type of guy who would take a cut to make sure Kane is satisfied. Guy is class act IMO regardless of what the media says. Apparently Wilson wants Tavares as well. With 20 mill in cap space San Jose is gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s just been reported that joe tore both his acl and Mcl in his right knee. That’s about as serious as it gets for knees. At 39, to rehab the entire off season....

Can’t expect him back in the lineup until January. It’s normaly a 9 month recovery for an acl for hockey players. And at his age.

I would think that they have to proceed without him. It’s going to be tough to make the playoffs again. Sharks need some new blood on the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad