Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton to Leafs [1yr/700k]

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Screenshot_20201016-171541_Twitter.jpg

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
So are we supposed to get tough this off season or slower. Oy Dubas. Well at least he didnt overpay him buy his usual 3-4 million

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Soup - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Thornton - Simmonds
Vesey - Engvall - Spezza

Gives us the option of:

Tavares - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Thornton - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Great deal. For 700k, can't complain one bit.

Also, yes, he wasn't great last season, but the whole Sharks team was trash. Before last season, he was still an extremely effective player. Last season might be age related, but I think the team factor was the much bigger deal.

I'd prefer him as the 4C, but I'd be ok if he splits 3C duties occasionally with Kerfoot. A line like Robertson-Jumbo Joe- Kerfoot has a whole lot of promise

Reactions: Ginger Papa

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Mikheyev
Vesey-Kerfoot-Anderson
Engvall-Thornton-Spezza
Simmonds

Rotate Simmonds into the 4th line with Spezza/Thornton/Simmonds playing 2/3rds of the 82 game schedule.
no faith in Barbanov? Boyd or Anderson may make a case too.......gotta be a trade coming

Reactions: Morgs

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
to those who think it's a bad idea

would you rather have frederik gauthier over joe thornton?

nobody should answer yes to this question

I dont want to see GOAT anywhere near the city let alone this team

He's 6'5 and never gave a rats a@$ about this team. The game against the Islanders when Tavares did it for me. He played 10 minutes that game, he could have stood up, pushed back a bit and won the heart of this city.

Instead like everyone else he hid. Other guys weren't fighting for their life in NHL, they have skills. Yet he just didn't want this role. It came too easily for him because he just had size.

I'll take a piece of rock before I take him. Even if the rock does nothing people will avoid it. Nobody avoids GOAT.

Reactions: The Iceman

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'll admit I'm still unsure on his spot in the lineup but having Joe around just to rub off a bit on Matthews could be incredibly beneficial. Not so much skill wise, but Joe is a guy who got grittier and much more of a leader as he got older. I think this will be huge for Matthews development into his final form.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Based on Thornton signing for league minimum and the Leafs pushing hard for him, I wonder what the chances are that Thornton is later hired in an advisory role after he retires.

Him and Spezza both. If they can popularize the idea without being so blatant about it that the league cracks down (although after Pronger they have no ground to stand on in that regard), I think it can be a strong asset for future UFAs. Maybe not the 28 year old top pair RHD that's going to have 30 massive contract offers thrown at him, but the local 2nd/3rd tier UFAs that made some money in their career and would rather 7x5 + 10 years of coaching or advising instead of 7x7 and quiet retirement from someone else. I might be wrong but I remember reading that even Pietrangelo had post-playing career considerations as one of his priorities.

Reactions: Canadian Game

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I hear ya but from all reports, he's a great outspoken locker room guy. He's hungry too as this is probably it

League minimum signing. No risk and no one can hate. Just hope it works and there is a fit.

If the locker room is bad and you need "leadership" then we need to do something more than a 700k 4th line 41 year old. If leadership was a problem under Babcock, Tavares, Marleau/Spezza, McBackup etc over the years then this team has much bigger problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad