Joe Thornton gets new knees for 2018-19. Thinks he'll contribute a lot alongside Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Joe Thornton seemed really positive about the upcomming season in an interview with NHL.com: Inside look at San Jose Sharks

Joe Had a lot of positive to say about Evander Kane and reading between the lines it seems like Thornton plans to turn him into a scoring stud:
"He's young. He's just getting into his prime now," Thornton said of Kane, 27, who the Sharks acquired in a trade from the Buffalo Sabres on Feb. 26 and signed to a seven-year extension May 24. "I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. I think he's figured out the game now and now he's ready to explode, and hopefully I get a chance to play with him this year because being a passer I think it sets up pretty good for playing with each other. Just a lot of grit and a lot of scoring ability, and his skating is so dynamic."

Thornton was also positive about his own production:
"My left knee that I hurt two years ago feels great," Thornton said. "Obviously playing the first 40-odd some games last year I felt really, really strong. Now with the right one, I expect to play in all 82 games and contribute a lot. It gave me a break to rest my body and I feel great and hungry again."

Joe Thornton has always been a no nonsense kind of guy that tells it like it is. So anybody that's doubted Thornton and thought he would be done, might be in for a rude awakening. Personally I've never seen anything that special in Evander Kane, but it seems like Thornton sees potential in him. So if everything goes according to plan in San Jose, Evander Kane might have to start taking Pictures with Money again.

So what do you guys think? Will Joe Thornton bounce back and reach 1500 career points? Can Joe do what others haven't been able to do and turn Kane into a scoring stud?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't see many players "bouncing back" at 39. Especially after surgury.

I'd conservatively pencil him in for 50 points.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Thornton is one of those players who's never needed to rely on physical attributes to put up points. Although being 6'4" 220 certainly helped. He's got that top-notch hockey IQ that'll always make his presence known on the ice.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He's pretty much done.

I think San Jose will be in Detroit's position in 2-3 seasons.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I trust Kane, Hertl, Burns, Couture, Vlasic and Jones more than I trust Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen, Glendening, Dekeyser and Bernier.
In 3 seasons Burns will be 36, Vlasic 34, and Couture 32.

The other three aren't even worth talking about as they aren't really core-worthy guys.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Thornton is the classic player being too optimistic about his team’s hopes. Why should he be excited about the opportunity to play with Kane? He already played with a better LW in Tomas Hertl in 2015-2016 when both he and Joe Pavelski were younger and significantly better.

With that said, he’s probably going to be a lot better than people expect. If he plays a full season, I expect him to score between 60 and 80 points, and I expect him to bring his trademark elite possession game along with.

However, I don’t think he will perform at quite the level of an elite Stanley Cup #1C.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I trust Kane, Hertl, Burns, Couture, Vlasic and Jones more than I trust Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen, Glendening, Dekeyser and Bernier.
The only issue for the sharks will be age of those guys you mentioned. Mainly the 2 Dmen. Burns is 33 and vlasic is 31. Both have 7 years left on their deals. They need to hold up due to their combined $15 million of cap hit.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Would you like to make an avatar bet that on opening night against Anaheim, San Jose's 1st line will be Evander Kane at left wing, Joe Thornton at center, and Joe Pavelski at right wing?

No, because I recognize that hockey coaches are a sentimental lot and it's highly likely the first handful of games what you propose will transpire.
Then about 10 games in where Thornton is either a) completely behind the play and/or b) injured, Deboer, being the non-idiot that he is, will make adjustments accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I love Thornton- likely a HOF player and somehow got the blame in Boston and then SJ did him dirty by stripping the C off him. I was hoping the Pens could get him as their 4C dirt cheap last year.
But Father Time is undefeated with Joe another victim. No shame in his career accomplishments.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Thornton was getting knew shoulders I'd be concerned, but knees not so much. His lack of speed has always being made up do to his smarts and ability to think the game at a very high level and make those plays.

Not saying he's a 70 or 80 point player anymore, but I could see him putting up 50-60 no problem

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No, because I recognize that hockey coaches are a sentimental lot and it's highly likely the first handful of games what you propose will transpire.
Then about 10 games in where Thornton is either a) completely behind the play and/or b) injured, Deboer, being the non-idiot that he is, will make adjustments accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I love Thornton- likely a HOF player and somehow got the blame in Boston and then SJ did him dirty by stripping the C off him. I was hoping the Pens could get him as their 4C dirt cheap last year.
But Father Time is undefeated with Joe another victim. No shame in his career accomplishments.

Right, and I’ve no doubt that Father Time will ultimately defeat Thornton; it has already done quite a number on him. But based on what I saw from last season, combined with the fact that Thornton is rehabbed and well-rested, I’m expecting a much stronger season than you give him credit for. I’m not expecting him to play at the level of an elite #1C adequate for the Sharks to win a Stanley Cup, but between Thornton and Logan Couture? Thornton will be the #1C on the San Jose Sharks.

Also, Thornton is better than Derick Brassard or Riley Sheahan, and would be #3C on Pittsburgh.

Reactions: agentblack

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
New knees but does he still have that crazy beard?

Not sure he'll still have fuel left in PO but that beard has got some serious intimidation factor to it.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
In 3 seasons Burns will be 36, Vlasic 34, and Couture 32.

The other three aren't even worth talking about as they aren't really core-worthy guys.

did you watch a aharks playoff game

hertl is a friggin beast boy look tf out

also couture will be 32 in three seasons. hardly old and thats plenty time for them to develop/acquire a couple core type players.

also kane is a 30 goal scorer if he plays all 82, id say thats decent enough eh

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Thornton with his IQ will still be a valuable player. Especially on the PP. He's not done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad