Joe Thornton enters the top 20

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
So Thornton isn't top 100 because he doesn't have a Cup and Iginla is somehow better. I think I can safely ignore anything you have to say about anything.

Let’s make a poll and see who was better..guarantee Iginla wins.

Of course you’re going to ignore me, you’re submitting to the fact that there was and is no valid argument to place Thornton on top 100.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Jack Adams means he was the best coach of the entire league, not once, but twice. You can hate his attitude all you want, but it doesn’t take away from the fact he will go down as one of the better coaches of his era.

Thornton had Burns, Pavelski, Vlasic, Marleau all in their prime, and also had Boyle and Heatley while they were still in their primes. Way to neglect the fact that Boyle had more than 50 points his first four seasons with SJ and Heatley had 40 goals. If you switch Crosby and Thornton places, Pittsburgh never wins a Cup and SJ wins at least two. Crosby can carry teams, Thornton cannot. That’s why one was on Top 100 list and why the other wasn’t.

Tortorella had the luxury of caching teams that were already good when he came along, never once in his career did he take a group of pretenders and turned them into winner. That's what makes a good coach. Not pointless arbitrary end of season trophies.

also way to not answer my question. I asked if any of them are better than Malkin or Kessel. So either you can't and are just another troll, or you don't know what the f*** you're talking about.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Of course you’re going to ignore me, you’re submitting to the fact that there was and is no valid argument to place Thornton on top 100.

Curious, how many players say they wear #12 because of Jarome Iginla? Iginla is not on Thornton's level.

Reactions: Phu

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
The facts and stats speak for themselves. Thornton is a HHOFer nobody disputes that, but he was rightfully left off the top 100, since superior players ahead of Thornton were also left off, and would easily make it before him. Malkin, St. Louis, Iginla to name a few.
So Malkin alone being left off doesn't make you see how garbage the list is and how it shouldn't be taken seriously....

The best playmaker of his generation and better than many names on that list, not a top 100 player....right.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Everyone agrees Toe
So Malkin alone being left off doesn't make you see how garbage the list is and how it shouldn't be taken seriously....

The best playmaker of his generation and better than many names on that list, not a top 100 player....right.

Everyone agrees Malkin should be on ahead of Keith or Toews.

Thornton not best playmaker of his generation. Guys like Datsyuk easily ahead of him.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

You can't pass off something that is entirely subjective, and your opinion, as a "fact."

That is not a fact, it's how you see it. If you think Iginla was better, by all means enlighten us.....

Reactions: Bizz

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
You can't pass off something that is entirely subjective, and your opinion, as a "fact."

That is not a fact, it's how you see it. If you think Iginla was better, by all means enlighten us.....

I provided facts unlike you. Nice try though.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Do you not see what the biggest difference are with Stamkos, Ovechkin, and Tavares compared to all the rest? Crosby and Malkin along with Toews and Kane play on the same team...with a Toews and Kane being teamed up with Keith. That's a lot for a team, and those 3 simply haven't had those kinds of teams.

Lemieux took a back seat to guys like Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermeyer, Sakic and Forsberg, Roy, the list goes on.

Of course I can see that Claude Lemieux was on a great Colorado team, but he was New Jersey's best offense. Are you failing to remember that San Jose had a President's Trophy winning team as well - why was Thornton unable to go into God-mode like they needed him to in the playoffs? They have a Norris level defenseman. A lot of people picked them to beat the Penguins in 2016. It's not like they're some "woe is me Cinderella team". The Sharks aren't as stacked as the 2010 Blackhawks, granted. But they're also guilty of being unable to win when they have the best team on paper/a Hart Trophy winner.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Of course I can see that Claude Lemieux was on a great Colorado team, but he was New Jersey's best offense. Are you failing to remember that San Jose had a President's Trophy winning team as well - why was Thornton unable to go into God-mode like they needed him to in the playoffs? They have a Norris level defenseman. A lot of people picked them to beat the Penguins in 2016. It's not like they're some "woe is me Cinderella team". The Sharks aren't as stacked as the 2010 Blackhawks, granted. But they're also guilty of being unable to win when they have the best team on paper/a Hart Trophy winner.

so you're telling me that the 2005-06 Sharks. a team that had Nils Ekman on the top line and almost no depth or any sort of cohesive Defense core. was the best team on paper that year?

lol.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He was not New Jersey's best offense, he just happened to score a lot of goals. He finished 4th in scoring...he was a 2nd-3rd liner his entirely career.

Of course I'm aware, but that team was not going to beat Detroit. Besides that was one year. The teams in '06 '07 '08 '12 '13 were not going to win the cup any time soon. The '10 and '11 teams were great, but Chicago and Vancouver were clearly superior. 2014, they ALL choked and blew a 3 game lead, and LA ultimately ended up winning it all. SJ rarely had these "stacked" teams I keep hearing about...sure, they have had a dominant top 6 for a few years, but their depth before the last few years was bad, our defense always lacking, and shaky goaltending.

In 2016, Joe did his best, but that team failed overall. pavelski had 1 goal, Hertl got hurt, Marleau and Ward went cold, while Burns underperformed. Joe is the last person to
Blame or to hold accountable.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
so you're telling me that the 2005-06 Sharks. a team that had Nils Ekman on the top line and almost no depth or any sort of cohesive Defense core. was the best team on paper that year?

lol.

I'm pretty sure the Sharks have won a President's Trophy which would give one a reasonable argument for best team in the league. It also gives you home ice advantage in the playoffs. Were the Sharks able to cash in on this with Thornton as their best player, or at least one of their best players? Just so you know, other than cheering for Montreal, I was hoping so badly that Thornton could win a Cup with the Sharks. Best way to stick it to my mortal enemy - the Bruins. I wanted Thornton to win in San Jose and still do.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
It's the fact that the comparison is so ridiculous, that makes Joe Thornton look so bad. When it's crunch time, you want your best players to stand out.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2006/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2007/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2008/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2009/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2010/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2011/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2012/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2013/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2014/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2016/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/sj/year/2017/seasontype/3

only twice did he have a playoff year where he didn't put up respectable numbers: 2014, and last season, the latter mainly due to a serious knee injury. That's it. In his prime he was consistently the Sharks top player, leading the team 5 times and near the top of every other. I don't understand how anyone can look at these numbers and say he's underperformed when he clearly and objectively has.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'm pretty sure the Sharks have won a President's Trophy which would give one a reasonable argument for best team in the league. It also gives you home ice advantage in the playoffs. Were the Sharks able to cash in on this with Thornton as their best player, or at least one of their best players? Just so you know, other than cheering for Montreal, I was hoping so badly that Thornton could win a Cup with the Sharks. Best way to stick it to my mortal enemy - the Bruins. I wanted Thornton to win in San Jose and still do.

The Sharks ran into a stacked team that had not one, but two of the greatest defensemen of all time on one team and one that should have been higher in the standings if Selanne had not taken half the year off.

As for the Sharks, they had guys like Thomas Plihal and Lukas Kaspar who were regulars in their lineup that year. So yeah.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
In 2016, Joe did his best, but that team failed overall. pavelski had 1 goal, Hertl got hurt, Marleau and Ward went cold, while Burns underperformed. Joe is the last person to
Blame or to hold accountable.

I don't blame Joe for 2016 - he was already well past his prime. Among my group of hockey fan friends (about 15 of us), more guys had San Jose winning the Cup against Pittsburgh. Minuscule sample size I know, but people have expected San Jose to win a Cup before you know. I was in the minority in 2016, I noticed that Kessel had stepped up for the Pens in the playoffs, and all of these no-names like Rust, Sheary, Bonino, and the goalie Murray were playing above their heads.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Unless your new to hockey, the Presidents trophy winner rarely wins the cup. Since the lockout, only 2 in 11 years have won both. That 09 team was good, but the 2010, 2011, and possibly the 2014 teams were better, and they met superior teams in the WCF and ultimately the cup winner in LA in a disastrous first round.

Stop romanticizing about their 09 year as a prime example of Thornton "not getting it done." He led them in scoring for crying out loud....what more do you want him to do?

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Stop romanticizing about their 09 year as a prime example of Thornton "not getting it done." He led them in scoring for crying out loud....what more do you want him to do?

Thornton was being smothered and double teamed every game that series and still led them in scoring. He was the least of their issues.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I don't blame Joe for 2016 - he was already well past his prime. Among my group of hockey fan friends (about 15 of us), more guys had San Jose winning the Cup against Pittsburgh. Minuscule sample size I know, but people have expected San Jose to win a Cup before you know. I was in the minority in 2016, I noticed that Kessel had stepped up for the Pens in the playoffs, and all of these no-names like Rust, Sheary, Bonino, and the goalie Murray were playing above their heads.
And it's unfortunate that the organization took that long to build a good enough team around him. That team was an amazing team and definitely the strongest. Our game plan and lack of speed were our downfalls.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Anybody who watched the 2016 playoffs knows that Sharks team was fantastic and so was Joe. They ran into one of the greatest teams of all time in the '16 Penguins. You credit guys like Corey Perry because they have Stanley Cups on teams they were passengers on yet everybody knows if the Sharks were lucky enough to meet the '07 Senators in the finals Thornton would have a Cup to his name. This isn't basketball, you can't judge players based off of championships. Some of the best players were passengers on the teams they won Cups on. He was the #1C on an elite team that made the finals. He scored more points than the Conn Smythe winner in the same number of games.

If Thornton gets traded at the TDL as a 40 year old and is the #4C on a Cup winning team, that would mean he has a Cup. Yet, would that really change his legacy? Would that mean shit? Would the small sample size of a few playoff games where he was a passenger mean a damn thing? That's the only thing some of these guys have on him. They were passengers on slightly better teams.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Unless your new to hockey, the Presidents trophy winner rarely wins the cup. Since the lockout, only 2 in 11 years have won both. That 09 team was good, but the 2010, 2011, and possibly the 2014 teams were better, and they met superior teams in the WCF and ultimately the cup winner in LA in a disastrous first round.

Win. I want(ed) him and the Sharks to win as I said above because I really dislike the Bruins (Bobby Orr exempted).

Hey, when you say the President's Trophy winner rarely wins the Cup, that becomes a double-edged sword. Now I'd expect that the Sharks could have at least won one Cup as either a favorite or as an underdog with a great player like Thornton, could I not?

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

Oh so internet polls decide who is better now. Is that it?

Not stats. Not accomplishments. Not top 20 in all-time scoring in NHL history.

Internet... polls.

Polls. On internet forums. Decide who is better.

The same internet that voted John Scott to an All Star Game.

Are you serious?

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The same people that voted Thornton out of the top-100 aren't the guys that voted John Scott to the all-star game.

They're worse.

These are the same people that voted for Alex Ovechkin to the first all star team as a Right Winger and to the second all star team as a Left Winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad