Joe Thornton enters the top 20

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
With his generational playmaking skill Joe Thornton put up yet another assist against Toronto. The assist was Joe's 1399th career Point which got him into the top 20 all time in career Points. What was even more satisfying was that Jari Kurri is finally out of the top 20 all time. If there was anybody who didn't belong in that top 20 Before, it was Kurri. Basically just a glorified Chris Kunitz from the 80s. Thornton is a much better fit for the top 20 all time. What made it even more sweet was that Thornton got to spoil Marleau's return to San Jose too.

It's crazy how underrated Thornton has become. Everybody seems to forget that Thornton will most likely end his career as second all time in assists and the highest scoring player to never win the cup.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
With his generational playmaking skill Joe Thornton put up yet another assist against Toronto. The assist was Joe's 1399th career Point which got him into the top 20 all time in career Points. What was even more satisfying was that Jari Kurri is finally out of the top 20 all time. If there was anybody who didn't belong in that top 20 Before, it was Kurri. Basically just a glorified Chris Kunitz from the 80s. Thornton is a much better fit for the top 20 all time. What made it even more sweet was that Thornton got to spoil Marleau's return to San Jose too.

It's crazy how underrated Thornton has become. Everybody seems to forget that Thornton will most likely end his career as second all time in assists and the highest scoring player to never win the cup.

Being a secondary fan of SJS, and big fan of Thorton, that whole post went from a pretty good feeling to pretty depressing with the last half of that last sentence.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Thornton is the first and only person from the DPE to enter the top-20, he'll likely finish in the top-15 and be the only one from his entire generation to do so. Sidney Crosby is the next likely candidate to enter the top-20 but that's at least 4-5 years away.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Thornton is the first and only person from the DPE to enter the top-20, he'll likely finish in the top-15 and be the only one from his entire generation to do so. Sidney Crosby is the next likely candidate to enter the top-20 but that's at least 4-5 years away.

Kinda weird actually. Can't think of very many mid to late 30s stars (Or former stars) in the league right now. Almost like there was a 10 year gap.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Kinda weird actually. Can't think of very many mid to late 30s stars (Or former stars) in the league right now. Almost like there was a 10 year gap.

The old guard has pretty much retired, hard to prolong your career in today's game without footspeed like you could in the early 2000's.

They mentioned in the Tampa game the other day, Beauchemin is the only active player from the 1998 draft right now. Most of these guys would only be 37 years old right now, crazy.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

And someone has no idea who Kurri was.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
And someone has no idea who Kurri was.

I think he has very good idea who Kurri was. ;)

Luckily Kurri won his last, 5th Stanley cup in Edmonton without Gretzky.

Wikipedia fact:
"When Kurri joined the Oilers he was soon paired with Wayne Gretzky. The duo of Kurri and Gretzky became one of the most prolific scoring tandems ever to play in the NHL. Despite not always playing on the same team, Gretzky assisted on 364 of Kurri's 601 career goals, while Kurri had an assist on 196 Gretzky goals."

Hopefully Joe will won his first. Someday.

Reactions: oilwave

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
took him a while to do so NOT. congrats to the greatest guy ever to not win a cup. shoulda signed somewhere else, jumbo.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
took him a while to do so NOT. congrats to the greatest guy ever to not win a cup. shoulda signed somewhere else, jumbo.
Don't think it has anything to do with where he played... san jose had a long time where they were a playoff team/contender and a few years where I think you could just about call them a favorite. I just don't think he really ever had that extra gear come playoff time.

I think san jose is out , they will move him

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Don't think it has anything to do with where he played... san jose had a long time where they were a playoff team/contender and a few years where I think you could just about call them a favorite. I just don't think he really ever had that extra gear come playoff time.
oh lol i shouldabeen clearer. when i said "shoulda signed somewhere else, jumbo." i meant he shoulda signed somewhere else in the offseason. my bad

Reactions: Getz2perry

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Still not sure how he and Malkin didn't make the NHL's top 100 list. How a gigantic panel could finalize their list and choose not to include one of the best passers of all time is beyond me.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's gonna be a while before we see 1000 assists come from another player. Crosby in 6ish years probably. McDavid in like 15 years.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Im starting to get the same feeling for Thornton as i did for Selanne. Really hope he will be able to win a cup at this stage of his career.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Guaranteed Mulletman quality thread. Love it.

Hopefully Thornton gets a cup before he retires.

Reactions: JKG33

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Kurri has had the benefit of having unreal chemistry with Wayne.

Without him, he's still a star player, albeit no 130+ seasons in the books.. probably similar numbers to Steve Larmer.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It has been an honor to watch him play.

He doesn't have a Cup yet but it's not over until it's over. People probably said the same thing about Raymond Bourque in his last few years.

He still has a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2