Joe Thornton becomes the best playmaking Joe of all time

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So with 2 assists against Vegas Joe Thornton now has 1017 career assists and was able to pass Joe Sakic who has 1016 career assists. Joe Thornton is now 12th all time in assists and can finally say he's the best playmaking Joe of all time!

Thornton is also a year younger than Sakic was when he scored his 1016th assist. Plus Thornton has also played on much worse teams for most of his career and in a much lower scoring era too. (Sakic did do it in 89 fewer regular season games but lets not get into that here.)

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
So wait. We're supposed to talk about how Joe Thornton is the "best playmaking Joe of all time," but we're supposed to dismiss how Joe Sakic reached 1016th assists in 89 fewer games just so we can talk about how one guy is the better of two Joes?

Man...

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
So wait. We're supposed to talk about how Joe Thornton is the "best playmaking Joe of all time," but we're supposed to dismiss how Joe Sakic reached 1016th assists in 89 fewer games just so we can talk about how one guy is the better of two Joes?

Man...
Don’t worry. Joes Sakic has won several Joe Malone Memorial Trophies. They can’t take those away.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Man...

Oh let joe have his moment. The other joe has a lot more to be proud of in his career than the highest assisting joe

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Congrats also to Claude Giroux, who with his 600 point, becomes only the 2nd Claude to have hit that mark, and in far fewer games than it took the previous Claude to achieve that mark. He's well on his way to being the greatest Claude to ever play the game.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey

Man...

Yes but Sakic has the benefit of playing through the high scoring late 80s to early mid 90s. No doubt Sakic is the better overall player, but I believe Thornton is the better playmaker.

Reactions: User9992

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Also Daniel Sedin is closing in on being only the 2nd Daniel to score 1,000 points. Can he catch Alfreddson? Perhaps, but he's already needed more games to do so, so he's the lesser Daniel of the two.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Congrats also to Claude Giroux, who with his 600 point, becomes only the 2nd Claude to have hit that mark, and in far fewer games than it took the previous Claude to achieve that mark. He's well on his way to being the greatest Claude to ever play the game.

Whos the other Claude? I cant find him.

Edit : Nevermind I found him it's Claude Lemieux. How could I forget him?

Last edited:

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Whos the other Claude? I cant find him.

Maybe he was in his shell when you looked:

lemieux4.jpg

Also, see the title of the photo in the bottom corner: At "The Joe" -- and it's Sakic's team. Coincidence? I think not.

Reactions: RedBruin

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Man...

Wait you don't think Sakic was a better playmaker do you? Thornton had consecutive 96 and 92 assist seasons and had the most assists in the NHL 3 times. No 70+ season or assist lead for Sakic in his career.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Wait you don't think Sakic was a better playmaker do you? Thornton had consecutive 96 and 92 assist seasons and had the most assists in the NHL 3 times. No 70+ season or assist lead for Sakic in his career.

I mostly just think the premise of the OP and the title are silly. That was my point.

but to your point, if we are going to discuss which player was a better playmaker, is it not pertinent information to consider how long it took each to hit a milestone?

Reactions: Phu

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I mostly just think the premise of the OP and the title are silly. That was my point.

but to your point, if we are going to discuss which player was a better playmaker, is it not pertinent information to consider how long it took each to hit a milestone?

Huh, I went into a Mulletman thread and a hockey debate broke out.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Man...

Sakic never reached the milestone Thornton is at right now, and Thornton will continue to add for years more. So yeah it is kind of irrelevant, particularly when you look at leaguewide scoring during the years of their respective careers. Sakic's career was front-loaded with several years when league scoring was higher.

Truth is Thornton has been the better playmaking Joe for at least 12 years now.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm not disputing it. I got to watch Sakic when I was a kid, but I was a kid. I didn't analyze the game, and I don't remember anything clearly from then. Like I said, I just thought the premise was pretty bad and the title was more clickbait.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I personally believe that JT is indeed a better passer than Sakic. But Sakic was my favorite player because of his wicked wrist-shots and his filthy back-handers. In that department Jumbo Joe cant even sniff Sakic's jockstrap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad