Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
My B. Please return to your regularly scheduled (and totally not-pathetic) ass kissing.

If you are mad at Sakic for not trading for Hayes or Ziba one year ago wait to hear this story:

I have a friend that moved to Canada and now lives in Edmonton and works as janitor at Rogers Place, and one day he heard an Oilers executive, that used to work with Chia, saying that Sakic had declined a trade that would land us not Draisaitl but Mc Jesus. The Oilers wanted both our 1st this year + 2020 e 2021 1st + Barrie + Bowers. It was around trade deadline, they felt Mc David was about to ask for a trade. Now, Sakic was ok giving up 3 1st round picks + Barrie and Bowers, but potentially adding Jack Hughes to that package was just too much for him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you are mad at Sakic for not trading for Hayes or Ziba one year ago wait to hear this story:

I have a friend that moved to Canada and now lives in Edmonton and works as janitor at Rogers Place, and one day he heard an Oilers executive, that used to work with Chia, saying that Sakic had declined a trade that would land us not Draisaitl but Mc Jesus. The Oilers wanted both our 1st this year + 2020 e 2021 1st + Barrie + Bowers. It was around trade deadline, they felt Mc David was about to ask for a trade. Now, Sakic was ok giving up 3 1st round picks + Barrie and Bowers, but potentially adding Jack Hughes to that package was just too much for him.

Stop projecting. I specifically said that I wasn't saying Joe didn't deserve an A, just pointing out your intellectual dishonesty.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Stop projecting. I specifically said that I wasn't saying Joe didn't deserve an A, just pointing out your intellectual dishonesty.

I'm the dishonest one, when you keep talking about fantasy trades that Sakic supposedly turned down, much like the Duchene for Chabot and Ziba, without any valid source?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm the dishonest one, when you keep talking about fantasy trades that Sakic supposedly turned down, much like the Duchene for Chabot and Ziba, without any valid source?

No, you're the dishonest one because you don't respond to what I've actually said and just spin. But I know better than to expect you to actually read my posts.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
No, you're the dishonest one because you don't respond to what I've actually said and just spin. But I know better than to expect you to actually read my posts.

I made you a question earlier and you didn't respond, who caimpained for Hayes last year? Because i don't really remember much talk about him around here.

You are fabricating things in your head, selling it as truth, and using it to judge Sakic's work.

Very honest.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

McDavid is truly special, from my understanding of your post:

2019 - 1sts (OTT + COL)
2020 or 2021 - 1st
Barrie
Bowers

Can't see Sakic rejecting or Oilers accepting.

He alone will sellout season tickets and would be considered a Generational player, Hughes/Kakko are not at that level. Oiler fans would outright be angry if traded unless a massive overpay. There might be more to the offer ie. Mackinnon or Rants which is likely the season for rejecting the offer.

Anyways, the AVs with the additions Byram/Newhook/Kadri/Bura are more balanced and better than last year.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
McDavid is truly special, from my understanding of your post:

2019 - 1sts (OTT + COL)
2020 or 2021 - 1st
Barrie
Bowers

Can't see Sakic rejecting or Oilers accepting.

He alone will sellout season tickets and would be considered a Generational player, Hughes/Kakko are not at that level. Oiler fans would outright be angry if traded unless a massive overpay. There might be more to the offer ie. Mackinnon or Rants which is likely the season for rejecting the offer.

Anyways, the AVs with the additions Byram/Newhook/Kadri/Bura are more balanced and better than last year.

It was Chia, so i believe my friend was telling the truth, and that is why i only gave Sakic a "4".

Next year, if we don't win a SC, i'll be really pissed at Sakic for not taking McDavid when he had the chance, and fix the 2C spot for the next decade.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It was Chia, so i believe my friend was telling the truth, and that is why i only gave Sakic a "4".

Next year, if we don't win a SC, i'll be really pissed at Sakic for not taking McDavid when he had the chance, and fix the 2C spot for the next decade.

Not doubting your rumour, it seems to be a lowball offer.

I believe only Mackinnon, Rants and Makar are untouchable. If the AVs can make a deal for such a player without moving any of these, you have to take the offer.

If McDavid was truly available, it still could be done.

Byram
Newhook
2020 or 2021 - 1st
Bowers
EJ? Timmins?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Not doubting your rumour, it seems to be a lowball offer.

I believe only Mackinnon, Rants and Makar are untouchable. If the AVs can make a deal for such a player without moving any of these, you have to take the offer.

If McDavid was truly available, it still could be done.

Byram
Newhook
2020 or 2021 - 1st
Bowers
EJ? Timmins?

I think the opportunity was lost, i can't see Holland moving McDavid now... he is untouchable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I made you a question earlier and you didn't respond, who caimpained for Hayes last year? Because i don't really remember much talk about him around here.

You are fabricating things in your head, selling it as truth, and using it to judge Sakic's work.

Very honest.

I did respond to that, albeit snarkily, because Hayes was discussed last year. Me, Henchy & Cobra specifically discussed Hayes' suitability if Joe wasn't willing to pull the trigger on Zibby. But to notice that you'd have had to actually read my post.

Again you are projecting. I haven't fabricated a thing and I haven't judged Sakic's work. That's your move.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I did respond to that, albeit snarkily, because Hayes was discussed last year. Me, Henchy & Cobra specifically discussed Hayes' suitability if Joe wasn't willing to pull the trigger on Zibby. But to notice that you'd have had to actually read my post.

Again you are projecting. I haven't fabricated a thing and I haven't judged Sakic's work. That's your move.

Could you kindly point me to those conversations? Because i really couldn't find any of it and i'm really curious to see those... must make for a fun reading.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Could you kindly point me to those conversations? Because i really couldn't find any of it and i'm really curious to see those... must make for a fun reading.

Sure, if you go up to the very top of this page and look to the right, there is a "search" bar. Enjoy.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Gave him a four because I feel he has done a really good job after the Roy fallout. I can’t give him higher because, after all, he is the one who decided to partner up with Roy in the first place, so he does deserve some blame for that even though I ultimately do blame the season that will go unnamed on the implosion created by Roy leaving like he did. You can’t predict that.

Have loved pretty much everything he has done since, really.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
fireworks-animated.gif

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
[MOD]

Please, he's not my type. Now Joe...I would get in line with the rest of you, for.

LOL. Best post of the offseason, right here. :biglaugh:

Honestly, I'm kind of in the no man's land between 3 and 4. In my opinion, looking at Sakic's entire body of work means that we look at all of his years in charge, and for example, don't weigh what has happened in the past 18 months more than what happened in the first 18 months.

What encourages me with Sakic, is that he seems to be learning from his mistakes (trade upcoming UFAs that can't be resigned, don't sign UFAs in their mid-30s to multiyear contracts, collect draft picks/don't waste 2nd round draft picks, prioritize 2000s puck movement and skill over 1990s size/bulk, etc), and not repeating them.

Now let's see how he handles the RFAs. He's got a few important ones in there to get done.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Glad we don't have Hayes, Zibs or McDavid because we're set up better in the long run and we have a heck of a team as it is. Arguing over all of these scenarios is meaningless. It makes me relieved that Sakic and not any of us is in charge.

Reactions: Foxtail

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Glad we don't have Hayes, Zibs or McDavid because we're set up better in the long run and we have a heck of a team as it is. Arguing over all of these scenarios is meaningless. It makes me relieved that Sakic and not any of us is in charge.

I don't wanna debate it either. I was just saying that those were the alternative options being proposed by the "proactive action" crowd; not waiting until this summer to give Hayes 7x7.

Anyways I'll stop responding to posts in this thread til Joe's done since I keep getting sucked into these debates that none of us want to have now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad