Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman?

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
'He is, and that's the problem, he gets overrated because his iconography outstrips his achievements'

what are you talking about? 1850points, 694 goals? 294 play off points and 109 playoff goals (2nd all-time, only 13 behind Gretz)? 2 Hart trophies on 2 different teams. 6 cups, Conn Smyth winner? the only player to ever captain 2 stanely cup winners? regarded as the most complete player of his generation and compared to Gordie Howe?

that's doesn't legend qualify as legendary achievements to you, eh. Stack those numbers against your heros. there a dozens of so-called iconic legends with no where near those numbers. Gilbert Perreault, 500 goals, no cups. Dion, more goals than 11, less points, no cups. Darryl Sittler, no there's an over-rated player.

Career totals are completely worthless because of the massive differences between eras.

And I'm not saying Messier isn't elite or that he shouldn't be a legend, just that due to his legendary status, he's very prone to being overrated. Almost 700 goals, never a top 5 goal scorer.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm the world's biggest Stevie Y fan, but I wouldn't use Bobby Hull as a comparison. Hull was a legend for good reason. I agree Yzerman is far and away better than Booby Clarke in every facet of the game of hockey, and so is Sakic. The fact that they played large parts of their careers behind two of the top 6 or 7 players to ever play in the NHL is not their faults. And they all played the same position, so there wasn't a lot of room on the end-of-season All-Star teams then.

Your hatred of anything Flyers related is a beautiful thing. No bias at all. :thumbu:

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
I think your comparison of Hull and Yzerman is rather narrow. You are taking era into account to defend Yzerman (which is spurious since only once would he have won an Art Ross trophy, anyway) yet neglecting to note that the overall scoring was lower during Hull's period. Further, Hull was more of a goal-scorer. Stevie Y was fantastic but I do not think he is underrated, generally I think he is thought of as a great and some people may even overrate him.

Your post didn't really touch on Sakic much. Sakic's legacy is not yet set in stone but he has been unbelievably consistent for so long it's hard to think he will not be considered (at least arguably) the best post-Gretzky/Mario center. His wrist shot is legendary, his ability to change speeds amazing and his two cups cement the respect he commands.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
I don't think that either one is underrated. Both achieved a similar level of hockey status and will be remembered as legends. However, Detroit is a big hockey town with the big Red Wings brand and Yzerman had a 150 point season, so there will be a bit more talk about him.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
'due to his legendary status, he's very prone to being overrated.'

well, we'll have to agree to disagree. i think he has legendary status for a reason, accomplishment. the numbers speak for themselves. just like Hank Aaron, never hit 60 homers, i don't even think he won homerun title. just his 40 dingers for 20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad