Confirmed with Link: Joe Sacco named USA's HC for World Championships

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol but Red Wings fans should have nothing to complain about because Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league, led them to a Stanley Cup Championship and 1 win away from a second Cup. Does he put the wrong players out there a lot? Most likely, but what can you do when you've had players like Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Hudler etc all leave the last few years and deal with an injury bug that pretty much forces you to play Dan Cleary and Drew Miller on the powerplay...

I'd trade Sucko for Babcock instantly lol, I'd even pay for Sacco's ticket to Detroit and get it first class along with limo service from the airport in detroit and a 5 star hotel for the time being

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Some Red Wing fans hate Babcock now. The complaint is pretty much the same we have for Sacco.

Some of the things Wings fans complain about how Babcock puts wrong players on the ice at wrong time. Using forwards on PP etc etc...

Sounds about the same we the Avs fans complain about Sacco.

Edit: Also Wings don't really play the same puck possession game anymore, they use more of dump and chase now.

Babcock with the Wings right now, reminds me of Q with the Avs. An old, not very good lineup still trying to hang on, and the coach can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's because the red wings aren't a very good team.

That's my point. Bottom line is, if you don't have a good roster a coach can only do so much. It's just that the coach gets the first blame when the team struggles.

Edit: Avs don't have a good roster, specially the blue line. Sacco coaching team US will answer a lot of our questions whether or not Avs struggles is Sacco. If team US does well, we'll know in fact you need good roster to win, and Sacco can't be at fault for Avs being where they are.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That's my point. Bottom line is, if you don't have a good roster a coach can only do so much. It's just that the coach gets the first blame when the team struggles.

Edit: Avs don't have a good roster, specially the blue line. Sacco coaching team US will answer a lot of our questions whether or not Avs struggles is Sacco. If team US does well, we'll know in fact you need good roster to win, and Sacco can't be at fault for Avs being where they are.

You want to compare coaching in the WHC to the NHL??
Really???
It is a tournament setup, there is no time to really prepare for your opponents and you really can not implement a real system.
You implement a very basic fundamental based system and try to motivate your team as good as you can.
I really can Sacco see succeed there. I think he is terrible. But if he fails and does abstain from his usual bonehead decisions, I won't hold it against him.
I mean Mike D'Antoni of all people got praised for his work with the National Team. That is all you need to know.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You want to compare coaching in the WHC to the NHL??
Really???
It is a tournament setup, there is no time to really prepare for your opponents and you really can not implement a real system.
You implement a very basic fundamental based system and try to motivate your team as good as you can.
I really can Sacco see succeed there. I think he is terrible. But if he fails and does abstain from his usual bonehead decisions, I won't hold it against him.
I mean Mike D'Antoni of all people got praised for his work with the National Team. That is all you need to know.

Well I know WHC is not the same as the NHL, it's not an 82 game season etc..but still, if team US does well, a lot of people are going to say look what happens when a coach has a good roster to work with.

And Sacco still has to put lines together, work on PP, PK for team US and we get to see the difference between the work he does there and the Avs.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Holland gets much more criticism. Bc of signing vets, not giving kids chance to play, not preparing for loss of Lids and Stuart, less-than-optimal asset management.

Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league.. But he may not be the best coach for Detroit right now. He's been there since 05-06, coaches get tuned out, especially tough ones like Babcock.

He would be one of the best options for Avs imo.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well I know WHC is not the same as the NHL, it's not an 82 game season etc..but still, if team US does well, a lot of people are going to say look what happens when a coach has a good roster to work with.

And Sacco still has to put lines together, work on PP, PK for team US and we get to see the difference between the work he does there and the Avs.

Personally I'm very interested in this.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ruff is going to coach team Canada, when Canada finishes in the top 3 will that make the Sabres look bad? No. Sometimes you just have to make a change... good coaches get fired all the time. That is even giving Sacco a ton of credit as a possible good coach, which I don't think he is.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Would absolutely love to see the Avs get Babcock. This team seriously needs a no-nonsense coach, someone that just hates losing and expects the very best out of his players. Plus the guy can clearly actually coach a system.

Let's hope the Red Wings fire him and the Avs are able to pick him up. I think his influence could be huge for these young guys.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ruff is going to coach team Canada, when Canada finishes in the top 3 will that make the Sabres look bad? No. Sometimes you just have to make a change... good coaches get fired all the time. That is even giving Sacco a ton of credit as a possible good coach, which I don't think he is.

Very true.

It's not so much that Sacco is a bad coach but he's not the right coach for the Avs. This team is too young, and after Giguere's comments we found out that some of the young players on the team have their heads somewhere else instead of hockey. Although i think any coach will have a hard time coaching the Avs right now because of mainly the d core is brutal.

Combination of being a young team, and lack of good players at some spots is what makes Sacco look bad.

The Avs need an older coach with tons of NHL experience to handle this team. Instead of Giguere speaking, there should be a tough coach not to let things like that happen where players worry more about Vegas trips than playing hockey.

Edit: I'm still not convinced whether or no Sacco is really a bad coach. He did take this team to playoffs one season. I would like to see him coach a good team with a good roster in the NHL to place final judgment.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That would be so disappointing. I really want to see what EJ looks like with JJ, Yandle, Goligoski, or Carle.

Out of the whole group I will guess that Goligoski and JJ (if Columbus doesn't make the playoffs) will. EJ, Yandle, and Carle probably will turn down an opportunity.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Out of the whole group I will guess that Goligoski and JJ (if Columbus doesn't make the playoffs) will. EJ, Yandle, and Carle probably will turn down an opportunity.

I don't know. Unless people are injured, I think most will go. This is kind of a tryout for Sochi, and olympic committees get offended sometimes when you turn them down.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know. Unless people are injured, I think most will go. This is kind of a tryout for Sochi, and olympic committees get offended sometimes when you turn them down.

The Olympic committee wouldn't be stupid enough to exclude Yandle for the next Olympics. EJ has an injury issue, and Carle... let's just say he likes to enjoy his summers and time off, but if he wants to make an impression he might go. I have my doubts.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Olympic committee wouldn't be stupid enough to exclude Yandle for the next Olympics. EJ has an injury issue, and Carle... let's just say he likes to enjoy his summers and time off, but if he wants to make an impression he might go. I have my doubts.

Yandle probably will go either way, but if Carle maybe struggles in the first half of next year he could find himself on the outside of the bubble.

Carle isn't a lock IMO. For most guys it could be determined by how well their season is going, and maybe something like refusing the WC when healthy could come into play if it's close. Especially if they want to have one or two defensive guys like Orpik like the US seems to do.

After Suter and Yandle there's JJ, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, Carlson, Orpik, Martin, EJ, McDonagh, Goligoski, Gleason, and Scuderi who would all be in the running with Carle for the remaining 5-6 spots.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

World Championships are very important for the selection committee, I remember hearing Team Canada representatives speak before the 2010 olympics that they wanted to see a lot of players in the 2009 world championships and said it was going to help them decide although it wasn't going to be the ultimate deciding factor and I have no doubts that Team USA is likely the same way

I'd love to see both Erik and Jack Johnson play together, although I think Columbus is going to make the playoffs so the next best option is Keith Yandle. Who knows, if EJ excels there it might convince the Avs to potentially trade for one of them

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
World Championships are very important for the selection committee, I remember hearing Team Canada representatives speak before the 2010 olympics that they wanted to see a lot of players in the 2009 world championships and said it was going to help them decide although it wasn't going to be the ultimate deciding factor and I have no doubts that Team USA is likely the same way

I'd love to see both Erik and Jack Johnson play together, although I think Columbus is going to make the playoffs so the next best option is Keith Yandle. Who knows, if EJ excels there it might convince the Avs to potentially trade for one of them

Would that be the EJ Johnson pairing?

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Would absolutely love to see the Avs get Babcock. This team seriously needs a no-nonsense coach, someone that just hates losing and expects the very best out of his players. Plus the guy can clearly actually coach a system.

Let's hope the Red Wings fire him and the Avs are able to pick him up. I think his influence could be huge for these young guys.

I'll hope, just like I hope to win the power ball. About the same chances too. Note, if I do ever come across extremely large sums of money, I'm buying the avs. Any and all organizational decisions will be decided by hf board polls, which I'll also buy. I will also promptly remove all the avs moderators and replace them with friends and family so we can still have that nepotism were use to without it affecting the team.

This way when the board unanimously agrees to buy out staz and ej, because they're busts, it won't be on me.

I'll also start a Jersey shore esque reality show focusing on the avs top to bottom so there's no lack of info.

Prepare yourselves, minions.

Edit, after every game I'll have a vote to decide the top two players at fault for any losses. Whoever the lucky two losers are do a public relations event where every fan who donates 20 to charity x gets a free slap, open handed or with a slightly fetid fish.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove 2m
#Avs D Matt Hunwick will play for Team USA at the World Championships later this spring. Good luck with that, Americans.

Sacco got his guy! RS any other confirmed players that you know of?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad