Joe Pelletier's Top 100 Hockey Players of All-Time

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I think there must be some kind of logical fallacy in the idea that only someone who posts his own list is allowed to critize the list of someone else. It's perfectly fine to claim player X as being better than player Y, hence deserving a higher spot on the existing list, and - at the same time - not being knowledgeable (or pretentious?) enough, or not having enough time, to create one's own complete list.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I think there must be some kind of logical fallacy in the idea that only someone who posts his own list is allowed to critize the list of someone else. It's perfectly fine to claim player X as being better than player Y, hence deserving a higher spot on the existing list, and - at the same time - not being knowledgeable (or pretentious?) enough, or not having enough time, to create one's own complete list.

There is a logical fallacy, and here it is: no one has said the bolded part. More clear?

In fact, in the post directly above yours, I said: "You're free to disagree with others' lists."

If you need me to state it again, I will - he's free to disagree with others' lists. And so are you.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
How long does it take to authoritatively dismiss other posters' lists?

You're free to disagree with others' lists. It's also a lot easier to do so when you don't have a list of your own to defend.

I did not dismiss Joe's entire list. Merely pointed out several (crucial) aspects on it.

I also agree with Rexor that one doesn't have to be able to lay eggs in order to judge the quality of an omelet. At some point, as per Killion's suggestion, I will draw up my own (short) list. But even in the absence of such list, it should not preclude one from being able to comment on the existing ones.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Strange, because I can think of at least several Russians who were better.

Of course, Joe probably values the contextual aspects of Larionov's career. The time and the place and Larionov's role as ambassador of Russia's game.

On a related note, maybe the most underrated player of all-time has to be Vladimir Petrov.

From the little I've seen of Petrov, I think this could very well be true.

But I also think Krutov is vastly underrated because of his unfortunate time in the NHL. Through the 80s he looked every bit as good as Makarov in competition against Canada.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I also agree with Rexor that one doesn't have to be able to lay eggs in order to judge the quality of an omelet. At some point, as per Killion's suggestion, I will draw up my own (short) list. But even in the absence of such list, it should not preclude one from being able to comment on the existing ones.

You read Rexor's post (clearly), but you didn't read my post directly above it (just as clearly).

YOU ARE FREE TO DISAGREE WITH OTHER POSTERS' LISTS. This is a discussion forum, after all.

More clear to you now?

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
You read Rexor's post (clearly), but you didn't read my post directly above it (just as clearly).

YOU ARE FREE TO DISAGREE WITH OTHER POSTERS' LISTS. This is a discussion forum, after all.

More clear to you now?

You did not say that a person needs to have their own list before criticizing another, but you did imply it twice. See below. At least that's what a lot of people got from those two posts (including me - was thinking about posting something like what Rexor posted).

We all have different lists and preferences. Joe's published his, so it makes it easier to poke holes in it (and let's not forget the fact that none of us is ultimately "correct").

Let's see your list - the full list. You can even have a dedicated thread for it.

How long does it take to authoritatively dismiss other posters' lists?

You're free to disagree with others' lists. It's also a lot easier to do so when you don't have a list of your own to defend.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
You did not say that a person needs to have their own list before criticizing another, but you did imply it twice. See below. At least that's what a lot of people got from those two posts (including me - was thinking about posting something like what Rexor posted).

Regardless of what you thought or didn't think, is it clear now?

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
As for the list -

I share a lot of sentiments that have already been discussed here.

Too Canada centric, I get the fact that it's sometimes difficult to compare players who were never confronted, but this is too much for my taste.

Jagr is way too low. The author even admits that based on talent alone, he is a top 10 player. So what is it that knocks him down? He's got the Cups, Olympic gold, World Championship, amazing individual and team success. Both incredible peak and longevity, character etc. According to author's proclaimed formula, he should be higher.

I don't like Roy over Hasek, but okay, this one is arguable and this is just me nitpicking. What is not okay is Hasek's position. Again too low.

My big gripe with this list is the Canada centrism. Call it an NHL list, if you will (yes, yes, I know the author included some token non NHLers), and I wouldn't say a word. In fact, that's what the HHOF should be called as well (NHL Hall of fame).

19 Canadians in the top 20? This stat alone implies that no one else in hockey history was close to producing the talent of Canada. We know for a fact that this isn't true. Give this list (with nationalities) to a person who's never heard about hockey and he'll tell you that Canada must be (and must have been) the run away best nation at hockey AINEC.

There is anti Euro bias, it might not be purposeful, but it exists in this list. It's only logical. If you grew up in North America, you focused on NHL, its players and stars. Information about the NHL is more readily available and accessible (in English).

I saw this person's post about more and more European players being comparable to top Canadians as time went on. This is because now it's easier to compare them, you see them in the NHL (1989), with the advent of internet, information about other leagues becomes more easily accessible as well.

My point is, we're all biased, whether we like to admit it or not.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think Joe could have included a few more Europeans.

But I think this shows demonstrates an effort to include Europeans. I have seen lists that ignored them entirely.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I like the list (especially Roy at 10:naughty:) but how can you justify putting Crosby at #29, I mean come on...

On this forum, we tend to view active players as if their careers ended today, in which case, that would be too high for Crosby. But outside this forum, it's not uncommon to do a little future projection - to project a natural career curve on a player.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
19 Canadians in the top 20? This stat alone implies that no one else in hockey history was close to producing the talent of Canada. We know for a fact that this isn't true. Give this list (with nationalities) to a person who's never heard about hockey and he'll tell you that Canada must be (and must have been) the run away best nation at hockey AINEC.

Well lets see, the HISTORY of hockey. That's since what, around 1910, so around 100 years.
Other Nationalities have only really started competing on the same level as Canada for the last 30-40ish years.

So why does it always seem to come as a shock to some people that there are so many Canadians in the alltime lists :rolleyes:

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
On this forum, we tend to view active players as if their careers ended today, in which case, that would be too high for Crosby. But outside this forum, it's not uncommon to do a little future projection - to project a natural career curve on a player.

I can see that, but predicting he will be the 29th best hockey player of all time is a not a "little" prediction...

I mean, I can see someone putting him in the 80s or 90s, but 29th? I just think it is a little over the top...

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

But Sentinel didn't really do that. He specifically said "Makarov should be in the Top 10, Tretiak and Fetisov in the Top 20." To make such a statement, one would have to - at least in a very rough sense - have an idea of which players would comprise a top-10 or top-20 list.

I mean, I could tell you that I consider Glenn Hall to be a top-20 player (Joe Pelletier has him as #44 - well behind Vladislav Tretiak), but if I wasn't prepared to give him an idea of who I considered to be in Hall's range (Guy Lafleur and Phil Esposito), exactly how constructive is my criticism?

For a long time, I would have - and did - say that I considered Steve Yzerman to be a top-20 player. Once I made a list, however, guess who didn't quite make the cut? If Sentinel did the same, perhaps he'd recognize that Makarov isn't necessarily a shoe-in for top-10 and wouldn't be so adamant that Pelletier underrated him by not placing him there.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
But Sentinel didn't really do that. He specifically said "Makarov should be in the Top 10, Tretiak and Fetisov in the Top 20." To make such a statement, one would have to - at least in a very rough sense - have an idea of which players would comprise a top-10 or top-20 list.

I mean, I could tell you that I consider Glenn Hall to be a top-20 player (Joe Pelletier has him as #44 - well behind Vladislav Tretiak), but if I wasn't prepared to give him an idea of who I considered to be in Hall's range (Guy Lafleur and Phil Esposito), exactly how constructive is my criticism?

For a long time, I would have - and did - say that I considered Steve Yzerman to be a top-20 player. Once I made a list, however, guess who didn't quite make the cut? If Sentinel did the same, perhaps he'd recognize that Makarov isn't necessarily a shoe-in for top-10 and wouldn't be so adamant that Pelletier underrated him by not placing him there.

There's a lot of truth to this. I had an argument with a friend about Mark Messier's place on an all-time list. He insisted he was a top 10 player of all time, I wasn't so sure. We sat down together and finally hammered out a list. Messier placed outside the top 10, and my friend agreed that that's where he belonged.

A lot of times we say someone is something, but we haven't given proper thought as to where everyone else is too. If you include Dmen and goaltenders, a top 10 list gets pretty crowded pretty quickly.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
A lot of times we say someone is something, but we haven't given proper thought as to where everyone else is too. If you include Dmen and goaltenders, a top 10 list gets pretty crowded pretty quickly.

Indeed. Until you actually go through & perform the exercise yourself.... Personally, I cant do it without complete separation of position & era. Top Goaltenders, Top Defenceman, Top Left Wingers & so on. If we were to compile a Top International Players List All Time (and International play quite a bit different from NHL & NA hockey on several levels), I think the only fair way to do it would be to base it all on International Play, Olympics, World Championships, Izvestias' & Canada Cup's. Limited exclusively to players who played for their countries & completely disregard their bona-fides in league play be it Russia, Sweden, the US or Canada. For sure you'd see guys like Seth Martin, Bill Cleary, Bobrov, Dzurilla, Kuhnhackl & many others not only up for consideration but more than making the list Im sure.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Not totally sold about the other two to be slotted so high. Tretiak was a little overrated in the 70s, but was worth his weight in gold in the 80s (wish he hadn't retired in '84, while in his peak).

In a sense, I have to disagree with this. Did he really have to stand on his head in the 1980s at all? He was excellent in the 1981 CC, and in some other tournaments (e.g. 1984 Olympics), but his team(s) were stronger and more consistent in the 1980s than in the 1970s, and USSR probably would've won every one of those tournaments, Tretiak or no Tretiak. Of course, USSR lost some of their 'edge', when they lost him...

On a related note, maybe the most underrated player of all-time has to be Vladimir Petrov.

Might be. He doesn't seem to get much credit for his intangibles. And in the last ATD, for example, I learned that he was a softie & pushover who ran away from fighting :shakehead *exaggerating slightly*

Last edited:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
In a sense, I have to disagree with this. Did he really have to stand on his head in the 1980s at all? He was excellent in the 1981 CC, and in some other tournaments (e.g. 1984 Olympics), but his team(s) were stronger and more consistent in the 1980s than in the 1970s, and USSR probably would've won every one of those tournaments, Tretiak or no Tretiak. Of course, USSR lost some of their 'edge', when they lost him...

I dunno, man. FIVE TIMES MVP of the Soviet Championship! Over all those other established superstars.

As for Petrov: I'm still not sure where to place him. 5X scoring leader and excellent two-way play, but his career tailed off worse than Mikhailov's, he didn't have the peak of Kharlamov, and he wasn't as clutch as Firsov or Yakushev.

Well lets see, the HISTORY of hockey. That's since what, around 1910, so around 100 years.
Other Nationalities have only really started competing on the same level as Canada for the last 30-40ish years.

So why does it always seem to come as a shock to some people that there are so many Canadians in the alltime lists
Like we said, it's more about the placement. By having only one Euro in the top 20, you are saying that Europe simply NEVER produced talent equal to Canada. Which is, of course, not true. But the quantity is also an issue to me. There were plenty of Europeans playing top end hockey at the time of Dionne and Robitaille.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Not taking a stand on wether a person should complete a list or not, but I would highly suggest it.

Not because it somehow makes ones opinion more valid, but cause it will probably skew your personal rating. I remember being quite sure about players that were underrated/under-represented in a lot of list's before I tried to compile my own list.

When you sit down and start to put names on paper, you will find yourself maybe in the middle of top-20 when realizing that you have missed one or two names. At first I had the names I thought were underrated, a lot higher than the usual listing did. But the longer I took time to put the list together the more I found myself lowering the "underrated" players ranking and saw myself getting closer and closer to same kind of rankings you usually see.

The good thing in having your own list thought out, is that you have to challenge your own opinions and line of thinking. Thinking all the players through and listing them will most likely have you changing your own idea on who is underrated and who is overrated.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

I am basing my opinion on my viewings of him in several tournaments and the NHL tours. Tretiak just looked better positionally, more consistent, more dominant.

Granted, this probably had a bit to do with the overall evolution in goaltending - there was a rapid improvement in goaltenders throughout the 80s. I suspect that Tretiak was instrumental in ushering new techniques.

He seemed athletic and inconsistent to me throughout the 70s, and a jedi master in the 80s. So smooth and collected.

And it's not just the Canada cup and Olympics talking. Tretiak's overall body of work in the 80s is stellar. '81-'84 in particular.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
As for Petrov: I'm still not sure where to place him. 5X scoring leader and excellent two-way play, but his career tailed off worse than Mikhailov's, he didn't have the peak of Kharlamov, and he wasn't as clutch as Firsov or Yakushev.

Even if Petrov is worse than these guys (debatable), one has to admit that the guy is quite underrated for someone who routinely outscored the big names in the Soviet league and international events.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Like we said, it's more about the placement. By having only one Euro in the top 20, you are saying that Europe simply NEVER produced talent equal to Canada. Which is, of course, not true. But the quantity is also an issue to me. There were plenty of Europeans playing top end hockey at the time of Dionne and Robitaille.

And again, like I said, Euro's and Yanks have only been competing on a level with Canada for about 30-40 years now.
What part of only 30-40 years out of 100+ do you not understand exactly?

Also, last I checked, Canada STILL provides 50-55% of NHL talent.
2013/14
Canada 52%
USA 23.5%
Sweden 8.1%
Czech 4.4%
Other 4.1%
Russia 3.3%
Finland 3.1%
Slovakia 1.5%

Soooo, conslusion: should it really come as a surprise that Canadian's dominate most lists when they were not only uncontested for more than half of the history of hockey but also that Canada still continues to provide more than half the talent.

So the simple answer to your question of whether other countries are capable of producing talent equal to Canada so far is a statistical no they are not.

Some argue for Jagr in the top 10. He doesn't make my top 10 but that's me. I def have him in the top 20 though and he is my #1 Euro with Hasek #2 and Lidstrom my #3 and Lidstrom just makes it into my top 20. Now, out of all the remaining Euro's you're talking about, how many can you honestly put ahead of Jagr, Hasek and Lidstrom to crack the top 20?

Hell, if anyone should be complaining it should be the Yanks. Not sure I have even 1 in my top 30.
Nuff said.

Last edited:

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
And again, like I said, Euro's and Yanks have only been competing on a level with Canada for about 30-40 years now.

Also, last I checked, Canada STILL provides 50-55% of NHL talent.
2013/14
Canada 52%
USA 23.5%
Sweden 8.1%
Czech 4.4%
Other 4.1%
Russia 3.3%
Finland 3.1%
Slovakia 1.5%

30 - 40 years? You've said it twice now, are you absolutely sure you want to go on record with that? So only since 1973, maybe even 1983?

Composition of today's NHL has very little relevance, because most NHL bottom liners are from Canada, thus making that stat completely irrelevant. The European players which would make it in the NHL as 3rd and 4th liners, back up goalies, bottom pairing Dmen simply don't come over anymore.

Last edited:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
30 - 40 years? You've said it twice now, are you absolutely sure you want to go on record with that? So only since 1973, maybe even 1983?

Prove me wrong then.
Show me how Europeans were producing world class hockey players prior to the 70's or how the Yanks were prior to the 80's.

Composition of today's NHL has very little relevance, because most NHL bottom liners are from Canada, thus making that stat completely irrelevant. The European players which would make it in the NHL as 3rd and 4th liners, back up goalies, bottom pairing Dmen simply don't come over anymore.

Again, prove it!

Last season, 12 of the top 20 were Canadian, that's 60% btw ;)
30 years ago, 16 of the top 20 were Canadian, that's 80%. Wanna guess what the League's Canadian population was in 82/83? Yeah, that's right, 81.1%.

Just coincidence I'm sure :sarcasm:

OR...how come when I go to this site http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_PlayerNationalities.php if I change the criteria from # of players to amount of points, very little changes?
If what you say were true, that Canadian's only have a high % of players because they're on the 3rd and 4th lines while only the top Euro's are coming over, then when one changes the criteria to points, the Euro's should all jump noticeably. Funny how that doesn't happen hmmmmm....

Last edited:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com

In 1972 (40 years ago), USSR was quite on the level of NHL stars. Do you really think that they developed their star power overnight? Well, they didn't. FYI, Soviets thoroughly dominated the 60s decade. Firsov and Starshinov were world class players. Just because they didn't have a chance to play against NHL stars, doesn't mean they weren't as good as the ones that came in the 70s.

The bottom tiers are always bottom tiers. We are talking about top end talent.

Your league composition stats are meaningless, as the other poster noted. With KHL's emergence, all those people that otherwise would have filled NHL teams' bottom two lines are now playing in Russia (plus a star or two, like Jagr and Kovalchuk). And your last paragraph doesn't make any sense, I'm sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad