Proposal: Joe Pavelski to ANH

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Pavelski will be much more expensive than the OP's proposed deal, and there's like 0.01% chance that San Jose moves him. Him, Couture, Vlasic, and Hertl are pretty much untouchable, from what I gather.

agreed. the overpayment required would be massive.
i'm amazed peopel wuodl rather have kes than pavelski

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

If a 10th and a 24th pick in the first round is all it takes to pry Pavelski away from San Jose then yeah I'd rather do that trade than trade 10th+Etem+Theodore or something along that lines for Kesler. It's not like the difference between who's the better player between Kesler and Pavelski is significantly different either.

Oct 18, 2011
Hey Ducks fans,

I am a Sharks fan coming in peace. I think that Joe Pavelski would be a great addition to your team as the second line center. Would you be willing to give up the 10th overall and your other 1st round pick for Pavelski?

yes and i wouldn't have to think long about it at all, infact you are undervaluing him

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm thinkin this takes both firsts and vatanen (+..?) if they even want to do business with us in the first place. Last time it happened you gave us Bones.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I`d prefer Kesler over Pavelski.

Pavelski is a great player there is no denying in that. But he`s a bit smallish and doesn`t play tough. He`s better in faceoffs though.

Kesler is biger, tougher, better at shutting down (Pavelski is not bad at it but not at Keslers level), faster. Don`t have as much offense in him as Pavelski but can play more crucial minutes and is still a good scorer.

For this team at this point? I`d take Kesler if i have any saying (which i don`t have)

Long story short - both are great players but not completely similar. I just think Kesler complements the Ducks better. I have said it many times - offense from forwards have not been a problem for the Ducks in the last few years. We don`t have to grab the best possible offensive forward necessarily. We have to look how they can change the team. Kesler would give better minutes for Getzlaf and Perry which would be... very good.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
I'd do both firsts this year in a heartbeat and I have been for keeping the number 10 pick. I'd even throw in a decent prospect. But if somehow we could get Thornton, I'd go nuts. I know the likelihood is small, but even at his age I'd love to have him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'd do both firsts this year in a heartbeat and I have been for keeping the number 10 pick. I'd even throw in a decent prospect. But if somehow we could get Thornton, I'd go nuts. I know the likelihood is small, but even at his age I'd love to have him.

What would you offer for Thornton?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What would you offer for Thornton?

Can we rule thios out already? Thornton will get a hefty price but the Ducks should not and will not go after him.

* First of all both teams are rivals and play in the same division and i`m sure Sharks will try to sneak from us as much as possible and i`m not sure Ducks want to send their futures to their rival.

* Thornton is 34 years old already and will get paid for some time. The Ducks will look for a more long term solution (even Spezza is more longterm than Thornton). Getz and Perry is in their primes but with the Ducks prospect pool this team should be good for some time so not in the 'do or die' situation in the next 2 years.

* Thornton plays a very similar game to Getzlaf. Although Getz started to shoot more, he still likes to give his passes. Thornton was around PPG player last season but scored only 11 goals. We have a lot shooters on this team but c`mon.

All in all - i just don`t see Thornton as a good fit for this team. He`s an elite player but for what Ducks would have to give up - no, thanks. If i could pick him up for free - sure a no brainer but for selling half a farm, we could do better.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Can we rule thios out already? Thornton will get a hefty price but the Ducks should not and will not go after him.

* First of all both teams are rivals and play in the same division and i`m sure Sharks will try to sneak from us as much as possible and i`m not sure Ducks want to send their futures to their rival.

* Thornton is 34 years old already and will get paid for some time. The Ducks will look for a more long term solution (even Spezza is more longterm than Thornton). Getz and Perry is in their primes but with the Ducks prospect pool this team should be good for some time so not in the 'do or die' situation in the next 2 years.

* Thornton plays a very similar game to Getzlaf. Although Getz started to shoot more, he still likes to give his passes. Thornton was around PPG player last season but scored only 11 goals. We have a lot shooters on this team but c`mon.

All in all - i just don`t see Thornton as a good fit for this team. He`s an elite player but for what Ducks would have to give up - no, thanks. If i could pick him up for free - sure a no brainer but for selling half a farm, we could do better.

Yeah Thornton is not what we need. The only way I'd be okay with getting Big Joe is if he only would waive to come to us, and all we'd offer is a 1st or something. Not overpaying for him, so it's really pointless to discuss.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If the Ducks got Pavelski I imagine he would slot in as a RW'er on the 2nd line. Unless Bonino or Perreault is converted into a winger. I don't think either of them will be on the 4th line next year.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
If the Ducks got Pavelski I imagine he would slot in as a RW'er on the 2nd line. Unless Bonino or Perreault is converted into a winger. I don't think either of them will be on the 4th line next year.

I think it's pretty clear any upgrade we make with our second line center means Perreault is either in the deal or moved to make room. He's an intriguing piece if Benning or Bryan Murray want an NHL center in return for Kesler or Spezza. Rakell and Karlsson aren't going to cut it in that regard and they both represent the extent of our young depth at center. I will be surprised if Mathieu Perreault is member of this team next season.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I`d prefer Kesler over Pavelski.

Pavelski is a great player there is no denying in that. But he`s a bit smallish and doesn`t play tough. He`s better in faceoffs though.

Kesler is biger, tougher, better at shutting down (Pavelski is not bad at it but not at Keslers level), faster. Don`t have as much offense in him as Pavelski but can play more crucial minutes and is still a good scorer.

For this team at this point? I`d take Kesler if i have any saying (which i don`t have)

Long story short - both are great players but not completely similar. I just think Kesler complements the Ducks better. I have said it many times - offense from forwards have not been a problem for the Ducks in the last few years. We don`t have to grab the best possible offensive forward necessarily. We have to look how they can change the team. Kesler would give better minutes for Getzlaf and Perry which would be... very good.

i guess we disagree on how we evaluate the players then.
i think the difference between kesler's and pav's defensive ability is less than pav's clear offensive edge.
pav's can play a shut down role if required while still imo putting up relatively good numbers. he can play on our PP without a problem and I think hes physical enough for sure. kesler is too oft injured or playing through an injury for my taste and the way hes trended down these last few years really holds a lot of ??? to me.

I don't think kesler is a great playmaker either, hes much more of a dude who just shoots or tries to split the D, whether thats because he doesn't trust his linemates in vancouver enough or just because thats the way he is I dont know. But if we were to put pavs on the 2nd or 3rd, he'd make those wingers much better than kes could make them imo.

i also prefer his contract over kes's

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ya i dont think san jose would do that without getting an actual player in the deal. But id do it :).

Id actually prefer pavelski over kessler, i think kessler is on a decline and pretty badly too... 30 isnt to bad people act like we need younger players id say now is the time to trade some of our assets for a mature player, we have plenty of youth in our line up.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I would rather the Ducks sign Paul Stastny and then trade away pics and or prospects for a top 4 defenseman then to trade for Joe Pavelski.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
i guess we disagree on how we evaluate the players then.
i think the difference between kesler's and pav's defensive ability is less than pav's clear offensive edge.
pav's can play a shut down role if required while still imo putting up relatively good numbers. he can play on our PP without a problem and I think hes physical enough for sure. kesler is too oft injured or playing through an injury for my taste and the way hes trended down these last few years really holds a lot of ??? to me.

I don't think kesler is a great playmaker either, hes much more of a dude who just shoots or tries to split the D, whether thats because he doesn't trust his linemates in vancouver enough or just because thats the way he is I dont know. But if we were to put pavs on the 2nd or 3rd, he'd make those wingers much better than kes could make them imo.

i also prefer his contract over kes's

I agree on Keslers injuries, that is worriying.
I also said that Pavelski is not bad at defence but Keslers defensive play, skating, physicality together is much better than Pavelski`s. I also think Kesler is much better along the boards.

In meanwhile Pavelski had better linemates and Joe Thornton on PP who can give a pass probably better than anybody in this league. Kesler has played with much worse linemates in the last couple of years i believe than Pavelski has done ;) Vancouver was a mess this past season.

Like i said, both are close for me and i would be super excited for either of them but i prefer Kesler just because i think he is better at things that this team needs more.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For me pavelskis topped 40 goals and 30 goals, id call him easily a 60 point guy, hes very solid in the faceoff circle... hes great defensively maybe not to kesslers level but he more then makes up for it, and hes played in every game the last 3 seasons(which is huge in my books)... He'll likely have maroon or dsp on 1 wing, and pending on trade palmeiri/etem on the other wing, he puts up solid numbers in the playoffs. He can be a PK player, and a key part to our powerplay.

The main thing is what the offer would take... I dont really know what they need or would want... If i had to guess goalie/defense... Defense wise we could offer up Sbisa/Vatanen/beauchmin, We have 2 first and an early 2nd that could be used, forward wise i dont know their needs. Id move anderson and consider going after miller as a FA...

Suddenly7

Jun 15, 2012
Anaheim
I would rather the Ducks sign Paul Stastny and then trade away pics and or prospects for a top 4 defenseman then to trade for Joe Pavelski.

I would agree with this. Just wondering how much are you willing to pay Stastny to come to Anaheim.

If getting Pavelski means giving up Both 1st and a prospect I would okay with this.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I would agree with this. Just wondering how much are you willing to pay Stastny to come to Anaheim.

If getting Pavelski means giving up Both 1st and a prospect I would okay with this.

agreed. the ideal scenario is signing stastny and trading for top-4

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What about Pavelski for Lindholm? Or Etem+? I feel like this package isn't good enough and doesn't have any proven value and just isn't worth it for Pavs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What about Pavelski for Lindholm? Or Etem+? I feel like this package isn't good enough and doesn't have any proven value and just isn't worth it for Pavs.

Ya not a chance of lindholm going to san jose or anywhere really.... to young to good, going to be a key part to our defense for along while.

Personally id go
Etem + 24 + anderson for pavelski.... and then go sign ryan miller.

perrygetzanother

Jun 14, 2014
somewhere nice
Personally id go
Etem + 24 + anderson for pavelski.... and then go sign ryan miller.

that's too much, keep the 1st rounder or keep etem, but I'm 100% for trading freddy.

Anderson on the sharks is going to haunt us for a while, and they definitely need somebody not named niemi between the pipes. kings don't get out of that series with sjs if somebody not named niemi is between the pipes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad