Joe Pavelski leads all active players in playoff goals

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Great player, but he has to wear some of the stains from the Sharks window where they just couldn't get it done in the playoffs. They had an elite team for a long time, but it never came together except for 2016, when they made it to the finals. Pavelski only scored one goal in that series, and it was an empty netter. That was his only point of the series, and he ended up -4.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
He can be an all time great player without being compared to ovi or crosby.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
That's a cool stat but people think that makes you HoF worthy? He has no individual awards, no cups, he's not "elite" defensively, he's above average, and his overall PPG are good but not great.

Reactions: GMR

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He's been good defensively but I wouldn't call him "elite". He's had two top-10 Selke finishes in his career, and his highest finish is 7th.
I would say you are wrong, and that Selke finishes greatly underrate the defensive player that he actually was/is.

By your definition, there would be what.... 10 elite defensive wingers in the last 30 years?

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Pavelski is a fantastic player and it's incredible he's kept it up so long, having his best seasons in his late 30's when he looked like he might be done after his first season in Dallas. He's been clutch his entire career and is an absolute gamer.

All of that said, my god, I swear some of you guys are way too excitable. You have HOF "flare ups" every time a clearly not HOF level player scores a few big goals.

He has a career high of 81 points, has absolutely zero individual achievements, never a top 20 player in the league. Even his mighty playoff exploits that apparently are leading his resume. Well below career PPG. His best playoffs was below PPG. No cups and therefore needless to say no Conn Smythe.

This post season, the one that has apparently tipped the scales for some re: being a HOF'er, he has 14 points in 13 games while trailing in the WCF.

(Some of) you talk like he's doing unprecedented things in the playoffs.

He would be among the weakest ever inductions.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Pavelski is a fantastic player and it's incredible he's kept it up so long, having his best seasons in his late 30's when he looked like he might be done after his first season in Dallas. He's been clutch his entire career and is an absolute gamer.

All of that said, my god, I swear some of you guys are way too excitable. You have HOF "flare ups" every time a clearly not HOF level player scores a few big goals.

He has a career high of 81 points, has absolutely zero individual achievements, never a top 20 player in the league. Even his mighty playoff exploits that apparently are leading his resume. Well below career PPG. His best playoffs was below PPG. No cups and therefore needless to say no Conn Smythe.

This post season, the one that has apparently tipped the scales for some re: being a HOF'er, he has 14 points in 13 games while trailing in the WCF.

I wouldn't say he's an absolute lock for the HOF, but he IS the all-time leader among US-born players in playoff goals scored, and the current active leader among all players. I'd say that's pretty notable.

Dallas could lose tonight and Pavs may never get this close again, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he eventually gets in.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I wouldn't say he's an absolute lock for the HOF, but he IS the all-time leader among US-born players in playoff goals scored, and the current active leader among all players. I'd say that's pretty notable.

Dallas could lose tonight and Pavs may never get this close again, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he eventually gets in.
Because he's made the playoffs 15 times in his career.

Of those 15 post seasons, he has scored more than 5 goals only four times. That's the definition of a compiling stat.

Not saying he hasn't been a great post season performer at all but to the degree that it basically is the sole reason he makes the HOF? You'd have to have a Kane or Malkin like playoff career to make up for: career high 81 points, zero individual accomplishments, well below PPG, as a regular season performer.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Who doesn't want to see this guy win a cup? It would be the perfect achievement to top off his career. If he gets one this year, he's 100% HHOF bound.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
People who were saying this guy isn’t a hall of famer 6 months ago need to look theirselves in mirror!
The problem with him and the HOF is his lack of any awards both personal and team. The only thing he has in the NHL is 1x 2nd all-star team. He never has had a 1.00 ppg season though he has come close on few times. If he makes it, it will be a close vote and years after he retires.

Reactions: Play

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
He is also 14th all time on total career playoff goals.

Also the one career chart where Mario is #2 the 2nd best player named Lemieux, as Claude has 80 career playoff goals to Mario's 76... (in less than half the games)

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
As of now Pavelski has 181 playoff games played. Has played 39th most amount of playoff games all time from a skater.

As of now Ovechkin has 147 playoff games. Has played tied for 101st most amount of playoff games all time from a skater.

As of now Crosby has 180 playoff games. Has played 40th most amount of playoff games all time from a skater.

If Ovechkin has the number of games played in the playoffs that Pavelski has he would be leading active players in goals instead of Pavelski. Pavelski has been a good playoff goal scorer.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

He's been over a point per game 3 times besides his 14 goal and 23 point run in 24 games though. Also had 13 goals another time. I think you would be surprised how few players have 5+ playoffs with over 5 goals in this era or more than two with 13+ plus goals. There's a reason he is 14th all time in playoff goals despite not playing in a very high scoring era, infact most of his career has been comparable to the dead puck era. Safe to say there's a little more than just compiling going on there.

I don't think he's a HOF lock by any means but would it be an absolute travesty if he got in, especially if he has another few effective seasons beyond this since he doesn't appear to be slowing down at all? I don't think so.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
My favorite player in the league. Too bad he never won a cup yet.
He should go to Buffalo or Devils (together with DeBor) next year. Maybe he would have a shot.
Guy is the exact opposite of all the stars who don't deliver.
Huh? Us?

Reactions: awegrzyn

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
He's been over a point per game 3 times besides his 14 goal and 23 point run in 24 games though. Also had 13 goals another time. I think you would be surprised how few players have 5+ playoffs with over 5 goals in this era or more than two with 13+ plus goals. There's a reason he is 14th all time in playoff goals despite not playing in a very high scoring era, infact most of his career has been comparable to the dead puck era. Safe to say there's a little more than just compiling going on there.

I don't think he's a HOF lock by any means but would it be an absolute travesty if he got in, especially if he has another few effective seasons beyond this since he doesn't appear to be slowing down at all? I don't think so.
I don't dislike Pavelski at all and in fact quite contrary respect his game a lot. I won't lose any sleep if he makes it I just think it sets a low(er) bar and should in theory open the door for many others.

Don't see why Pavelski would be in and not Brad Richards. Brad has a better career high (91 vs 81) better top 10 scoring finishes (including finishing 7th), and of course has 2 cups and a Conn Smythe.

What about Lecavalier ? Cup + Rocket + much higher offensive peak (52 goals, 106 points).

Post season success eluded Markus Naslund but he peaked much higher and has a Pearson. One game away from winning the Ross.

His own teammate Marleau?

Heatley? 50+50 club in back-to-back years.

I think you have to start letting all of those guys in if you are letting Pavelski in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad