Joe Pavelski is now officially the highest scoring player of the vaunted 2003 draft

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Commented this elsewhere, but surprises me how few slam dunk HHOFers there are in this GOAT draft. Only Bergeron is 100% in first ballot, no questions asked. Players like Getzlaf, Perry, Weber, Pavelski, Burns etc. have arguments for and against them getting in. They (or at least some of them) will probably get in at some point, but I don't get a "easily should get in first ballot" kind of vibe from them.

Fleury no doubt. Played more than 1000 games as a goalie , 3 Cups ( 5 times in the SCF ) , Olympic Gold medal , Vezina , Jennings . Was he pretty inconsistent for chunks of his career ? Well yeah but he's a slam dunk HHOF-er .

Reactions: LT

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
That’s crazy lol

Commented this elsewhere, but surprises me how few slam dunk HHOFers there are in this GOAT draft. Only Bergeron is 100% in first ballot, no questions asked. Players like Getzlaf, Perry, Weber, Pavelski, Burns etc. have arguments for and against them getting in. They (or at least some of them) will probably get in at some point, but I don't get a "should easily get in first ballot" kind of vibe from them.
I feel like a lot of the star players from this draft had great peaks but fell off hard. Only a few like Bergeron, Pavelski, maybe Suter, had longevity .

Reactions: CanadianHockey

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yup.......IIRC, they traded up into the first round and snagged Perry with Dallas's first round pick.

Dallas settled for Loui Eriksson in the 2nd.

I remember Eriksson got a lot of shit here in his later years, maybe partly because of his contract(s), but after all, he still had a solid career.

Reactions: JBeast

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Fleury no doubt. Played more than 1000 games as a goalie , 3 Cups ( 5 times in the SCF ) , Olympic Gold medal , Vezina , Jennings . Was he pretty inconsistent for chunks of his career ? Well yeah but he's a slam dunk HHOF-er .
He’ll get in but multiple goalies should get in ahead of him. He won his Olympic gold without ever touching the ice, so it always seems so very sad to count that as part of his resume. He was a starter for 1.5 Cups. His one Vezina win - and good for him, seriously - was the only time he was even nominated for that award. I liked his story with Vegas - that was fun. But I don’t have him ahead of Thomas, Rinne, Kiprusoff, Price, etc. I don’t hate the guy - I just don’t see the argument ahead of some other alltime greats he’ll likely beat out.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He’ll get in but multiple goalies should get in ahead of him. He won his Olympic gold without ever touching the ice, so it always seems so very sad to count that as part of his resume. He was a starter for 1.5 Cups. His one Vezina win - and good for him, seriously - was the only time he was even nominated for that award. I liked his story with Vegas - that was fun. But I don’t have him ahead of Thomas, Rinne, Kiprusoff, Price, etc. I don’t hate the guy - I just don’t see the argument ahead of some other alltime greats he’ll likely beat out.

1st overall pick , massive longevity and a colorful personality. Fleury is going to be in the HHOF pretty quickly i have no doubt about that. Should he be ? Well that certainly is a valid conversation to have with his rather pedastrian play for a pretty large chunk of his career but i don't think its going to matter. He'll get in very quickly and people are going to be arguing about it .

CogNoman

Mar 15, 2011
Montreal, now.
Fleury is also 2nd All-Time in Wins as a goalie. That alone is a fairly good case for the HOF.

Reactions: LT and gsharpe

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Fleury is also 2nd All-Time in Wins as a goalie. That alone is a fairly good case for the HOF.

Fleury also has the 2nd highest winning percentage of any goalie with 300 or more wins. ( #1 on that list is Bobrovky btw ) . Yes Fleurys winning percentage is higher than that of Roy , Brodeur , Hasek and other all time greats. Fleury has won alot of games. He didn't allways look and play that great winning those games but he's won alot.

Reactions: LT and 1989

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

I forgot how cringe that was

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

I forgot how cringe that was
"Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim"

tenor.gif

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Crazy that as great as that draft was, there are currently no 500 goal scorers in that class.

Goes to show you how awful hockey was for most of their careers.

If they were drafted 15 years earlier, we’re probably talking about at least four or five 500 goal scorers in that group.
Yep NHL scoring was down for multiple years.

Heck we have 3 50 goal scorers so far this season with strong potential to add a couple more

Look at how many are crossing 100 points.

Way better for the game.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Commented this elsewhere, but surprises me how few slam dunk HHOFers there are in this GOAT draft. Only Bergeron is 100% in first ballot, no questions asked. Players like Getzlaf, Perry, Weber, Pavelski, Burns etc. have arguments for and against them getting in. They (or at least some of them) will probably get in at some point, but I don't get a "should easily get in first ballot" kind of vibe from them.

Yeah it surprised me when I looked at that list. The raw numbers aren't as big as I'd imagine.

Perhaps that's also an indication of the kind of era they played their prime years because the brand value for most of those names is still quite significant.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
If Patrick Marleau is going to be voted into the hall of fame just because he broke the all-times game played record and had several good seasons mixed with a bunch of compiling seasons, there is no reason Joe Pavelski shouldn't also be going into the Hall. Better player with a higher peak (given his superior two-way play) and he will have similar offensive stats by the end of his career with fewer games played.

Reactions: 1989

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Fleury also has the 2nd highest winning percentage of any goalie with 300 or more wins. ( #1 on that list is Bobrovky btw ) . Yes Fleurys winning percentage is higher than that of Roy , Brodeur , Hasek and other all time greats. Fleury has won alot of games. He didn't allways look and play that great winning those games but he's won alot.
Isn’t the winning % of those other guys massively influenced by the existence of ties when they played?

Re: Pavelski, good on him for hitting that tally with such a stacked draft class.

Reactions: Huokaus and cptjeff

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Need him to get to 500 goals. A bit surprising actually how many are not at 1000 points.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Isn’t the winning % of those other guys massively influenced by the existence of ties when they played?

Re: Pavelski, good on him for hitting that tally with such a stacked draft class.

Looking through the list and seeing the winning percentage numbers of the more recent goalies compared to ones from the more distant past yeah i think you are correct on that.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The reason is, up until the 1998-99 season, every game was worth 2 points. Since then, with the introduction of the OTL point, games are worth more than 2.2 points on average. If you look at any type of win percentage based stat (for a goalie, an individual skater, or teams) - they look better from 2000 onwards, because more points are handed out (on average) in each game.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Crazy that as great as that draft was, there are currently no 500 goal scorers in that class.

Goes to show you how awful hockey was for most of their careers.
Not having a 500 goal scorer is not that big of a deal really....I think you need to understand how few players have gotten there (currently only 47.

If you look at 20 years worth of drafting between 1991 and 2009 (I went back 15 years ago as it's not realistic to expect guys from more recent drafts to have played long enough to get there). Of those 20 years, 15 years have no 500 goal scorers. The other 5 years are 1995 - Iginla, 1997 - Marleau and Hossa, 2004 - Ovechkin, 2005 - Crosby and 2009 - Stamkos.

Between 1979-1990, most years had at least 1, but for obvious reasons...highest scoring era in hockey. However, most of those years were 1 or 2, a few had 3 and one had 4 - 1988 - Selanne, Recchi, Modano and Roenick. Going pre-1979, drafts with a 500 goal scorer are few and far between again.

Looking at Pavelski, he's been a great player, but as someone suggested, not elite, just a steady player that's played a long time. I'm guessing there aren't many players that have close to 1,100 career points but not a single season where he's managing to get to 1ppg.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
perry and getzlaf are both for sure getting in. probably not first ballot, but both are future HOF'ers

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Burns will be getting in on the first ballot and it won't be remotely controversial. He'll have well over 900 points as a defenseman and a Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad