Joe Pavelski is now officially the highest scoring player of the vaunted 2003 draft

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Commented this elsewhere, but surprises me how few slam dunk HHOFers there are in this GOAT draft. Only Bergeron is 100% in first ballot, no questions asked. Players like Getzlaf, Perry, Weber, Pavelski, Burns etc. have arguments for and against them getting in. They (or at least some of them) will probably get in at some point, but I don't get a "should easily get in first ballot" kind of vibe from them.
I think it was more about the depth rather than the high end talent. Byfuglien and Enstrom were 8th round picks.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Fleury also has the 2nd highest winning percentage of any goalie with 300 or more wins. ( #1 on that list is Bobrovky btw ) . Yes Fleurys winning percentage is higher than that of Roy , Brodeur , Hasek and other all time greats. Fleury has won alot of games. He didn't allways look and play that great winning those games but he's won alot.
The 2011 PIT-PHI series should automatically disqualify him.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
what a f***ing hit - that should get someone a raise or bonus or something - give the Buff guy something too

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The 2011 PIT-PHI series should automatically disqualify him.
Honestly, I agree with this. He's had his high points and has certainly compiled some stats, but I'm really uncomfortable calling a guy who's lost his starting job as much as he has a Hall of Famer.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Of course the real high pick flop in that draft was, who else, the New York Rangers drafting Hugh Jessiman 12th who had 2 games and 5 penalty minutes with Florida in 2011. Rangers got some unknown consideration from Nashville for him…maybe a George Jones album?
Edmonton had the other winner there trading down at #17 giving New Jersey Zach Parise for a later 1st and 2nd, used on Marc-Antoine Pouliot and I don't think anyone will remember the 2nd rounder.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What a wild draft this was. Just look at the 9th round - Halak, Brian Elliot, Matt Moulson, Tanner Glass…

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Some interesting trivia from that draft: highest scoring Finn is Lasse Kukkonen with 22 points in 159 games, second is Esa Pirnes with 11 points in 57 games, and there is not third place in this competition.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Some interesting trivia from that draft: highest scoring Finn is Lasse Kukkonen with 22 points in 159 games, second is Esa Pirnes with 11 points in 57 games, and there is not third place in this competition.

That's pretty crazy and by today's rules neither of them would have been draft eligible.

And if Nikolai Zherdev counts only as Ukrainian, none of the 29 Russian picks from 2003 played in the NHL. And then Sweden only produced with Loui Eriksson and Tobias Enstrom.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
That's pretty crazy and by today's rules neither of them would have been draft eligible.
Didnt remember that. But if I remember correctly, Esa Pirnes had a chance to score his first NHL goal on a penalty shot. Twice. But failed both times.

Reactions: Brodeur

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Edmonton had the other winner there trading down at #17 giving New Jersey Zach Parise for a later 1st and 2nd, used on Marc-Antoine Pouliot and I don't think anyone will remember the 2nd rounder.

J.F. Jacques! Since I'm petty, sometimes if I need a laugh I'll look up some threads from circa 2004 - early 2006 where some folks were certain Edmonton came up with the better end of that trade.

Although I do find it funny that nobody gives Boston the same grief for trading down from #16. I suppose it's just because San Jose picked Steve Bernier. Similarly everybody gives Edmonton flack for trading #16 in 2015 since the Islanders netted Matt Barzal but Edmonton wasn't going to take Barzal. Meanwhile LA dealt #13 and would have taken Barzal had they kept the pick according to their former assistant GM. But since Boston took Jakub Zboril, nobody remembers it from an LA standpoint.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
In a redraft he still doesn't go first overall. In my opinion, it's still Marc-Andre Fleury.

Wonder how high he goes in a re-draft.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Commented this elsewhere, but surprises me how few slam dunk HHOFers there are in this GOAT draft. Only Bergeron is 100% in first ballot, no questions asked. Players like Getzlaf, Perry, Weber, Pavelski, Burns etc. have arguments for and against them getting in. They (or at least some of them) will probably get in at some point, but I don't get a "should easily get in first ballot" kind of vibe from them.
Here are some questions that need to be asked. How many all-star teams or major awards for Bergeron ? Zero.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gotta be top-5 at this point.

Don't think so tbh. Pavs took a while to make the NHL ( his first year was 2006/2007 ) and then it took another while for him develop into a top 6 player . Most good players from his draft hit their stride much much faster but also flamed out way earlier. Teams want a top5 pick to contribute much faster than Pavs did.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad