Joe Pavelski: 72 points at age 38

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Do you mean 7th round pick (206th OA) Joe Pavelski? I think that at 38 he is pretty much living up to his expected career progression given his draft position.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The funny thing is he even had a dry spell this season of 19 games where he didn't score a goal and still ends up with a very good season overall

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
But... I've been told that the game has changed too much and that players from 20+years ago wouldn't be able to compete today... :sarcasm:

Congrats to Pavelski!
Players who are active during the 20 year span will evolve and adapt *with* the game. It's not like the game gets 100% faster and harder to keep up with from one year to the next, the changes are gradual.

Let's say the change is 5% each year. One year means almost nothing, but 10, 15, 20 years after you hang your skates up, will.mean a huge difference.

Watch a recent clip from Chicklets youtube where two former NHL:ers talk about this. They both openly admit that they wouldn't be able to play in today's NHL.

Reactions: Sky04

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Made his career debut less than 10 months after Mario Lemieux skated his final game. Might hit 80 points in back to back seasons at age 37 and 38.

But yeah, the league is too modern and advanced for those who played most of their careers in the 80s and 90s.

huh? You're talking about Pavelski who started the same year as Sidney Crosby but sure go on with your narrative.

Players who are active during the 20 year span will evolve and adapt *with* the game. It's not like the game gets 100% faster and harder to keep up with from one year to the next, the changes are gradual.

Let's say the change is 5% each year. One year means almost nothing, but 10, 15, 20 years after you hang your skates up, will.mean a huge difference.

Watch a recent clip from Chicklets youtube where two former NHL:ers talk about this. They both openly admit that they wouldn't be able to play in today's NHL.

Yeah no shit eh, it's almost like if they didn't they'd be out of the league already but some people don't really use their brains when they post.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Good for him. Some people thought he was done after his first season in Dallas but since then he has been damn good with 51 pts in 56 games then 81 in 82 and another 72 so far this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not sure what they put in the water in San Jose back in the day but Burns is close to 60 points as a d-man and he just turned 38 as well.
It’s more like what they put in the brownies.

Aging, and aging out, is so hard to predict in hockey. In general, yeah, guys in their 30’s decline, but who could’ve foreseen that this guy, who wasn’t blessed with great speed in the first place, would still be so effective. The very epitome of a “right place, right time” player.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Well, that would be an "age 40" season then, wouldn't it?

"Age 38" season pretty self-explanatory. :laugh:
Rather self-explanatory, yes. Also very dumb. At that point being even older is a handicap and should be included — older players in that list deserve to be lauded.

Reactions: Themos

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Rather self-explanatory, yes. Also very dumb. At that point being even older is a handicap and should be included — older players in that list deserve to be lauded.

And they are, for doing what they did at age 40.

Pavs isn't 40 yet.

He's 38, and what he's doing as a 38 year old - in his "age 38" season - is noteworthy to most.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I thought he was done when he signed in Dallas and it was the single worst hockey take I have ever had

Not sure what they put in the water in San Jose back in the day but Burns is close to 60 points as a d-man and he just turned 38 as well.
Vitamin D

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
More proof Gretzky would struggle in today's NHL.
I am not convinced at all about that. Today’s offense is so much about making east west passes and deception to beat the goalies - seems like 99 would have some capacity in that regard. (And let’s be clear, today he would come to the league with skating lessons from an Olympic figure skater and skills clinics run by Adam Oates 10 times a week since he was 3 at the latest. Having your own backyard rink is nothing

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I am not convinced at all about that. Today’s offense is so much about making east west passes and deception to beat the goalies - seems like 99 would have some capacity in that regard. (And let’s be clear, today he would come to the league with skating lessons from an Olympic figure skater and skills clinics run by Adam Oates 10 times a week since he was 3 at the latest. Having your own backyard rink is nothing
That was sarcasm. I should have been clearer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad