Injury Report: Joe Morrow on IR, Tommy Cross Recalled

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Defense is a terrible mess, Irwin, Cross, it doesn't matter they are too thin on the back end.

If Chara can anchor it for 2 more years we may have a chance, but for the near future it is bleek.

I wonder who will eventually pair on the top pairing, cause this team badly needs it.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
Can't be worse than Irwin was. I'm a little excited to see what happens (good or bad).

OutspokenMinority*

Wow,finally;Talent Analysis

Cross is a big defenseman who is not only strong on his skates but can turn on the jets when necessary. Overall he sees the ice well and has considerable hockey sense. He uses his size and strength, along with good stickhandling ability to effectively shut down opponents around his net and along the boards. Cross will play physical game with an emphasis on his defensive play but does have a strong shot and some limited offensive capabilities.
Futurez

Cross attended training camp with the Bruins before being assigned to AHL affiliate Providence at the start of the 2014-15 season. Now in his third pro season, Cross saw more ice time than expected early in the year due to injuries to defensemen throughout the Bruins' organization and has taken advantage of the increased role. He has displayed some of the offensive attributes of his Boston College days while at the same time playing a strong two-way game. Long-term he could project as high as a Dennis Seidenberg-type, if he can continue to refine his outlet game and continues integrating himself into the play in all three zones. Injuries have slowed his progress and there is a lot of depth in the Boston organization. He may have to head elsewhere to get his NHL opportunity.

well that's just about exactly what i would hope to read. a fired up first-timer plus Z appearing capable plus a darn near guaranteed opening of the scoring floodgates in one of the next few games and you could see this team go on a bit of a run.

i can't help but be curious as to who is driving the personnel decisions (whether Morrow really has the flu or not). where claude would normally be inclined to sink along with his ship rather than you know use life vests when needed, sweeney certainly seems to be more proactive. of course it's just the beginning of his tenure so it's easier to do now and that could change as time passes (and needs change), but he does not appear to hesitate to move when it appears necessary. you can probably go too far in that direction but so far i really like his approach. maybe without exception actually.

the scouting report on Cross that you just gave makes me very happy.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Morrow trying to flu his way out of town. That's a new one.

Well, Good for Tommy. Good luck.

Can't get much worse anyway.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Good luck to Dr Cross but he will always be linked to how much we screwed up the 2007 draft for me..

the first two rounds of the 07 draft.

Our draft

Zach Hamill
tommy Cross ( we move up to get him )

Scabs

Max Pacioretti
Ryan McDonagh
Pre K Subban

oh and Wayne Simmonds was taken with the last pick in the 2nd round who seemed like a prototypical bruins pick...
Best of luck to Tommy Cross but every time I hear his name I think what if we'd have had the Habs draft that year...

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Wow,finally;Talent Analysis

Cross is a big defenseman who is not only strong on his skates but can turn on the jets when necessary. Overall he sees the ice well and has considerable hockey sense. He uses his size and strength, along with good stickhandling ability to effectively shut down opponents around his net and along the boards. Cross will play physical game with an emphasis on his defensive play but does have a strong shot and some limited offensive capabilities.
Future

Cross attended training camp with the Bruins before being assigned to AHL affiliate Providence at the start of the 2014-15 season. Now in his third pro season, Cross saw more ice time than expected early in the year due to injuries to defensemen throughout the Bruins' organization and has taken advantage of the increased role. He has displayed some of the offensive attributes of his Boston College days while at the same time playing a strong two-way game. Long-term he could project as high as a Dennis Seidenberg-type, if he can continue to refine his outlet game and continues integrating himself into the play in all three zones. Injuries have slowed his progress and there is a lot of depth in the Boston organization. He may have to head elsewhere to get his NHL opportunity.

Thanks for the summary. I have never watched Cross play and don't know much about him aside from the jokes that have been made on HF.

What are his drawbacks/areas where he can improve? It seems like he has been in the organization forever but is only getting a callup now.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Good for him. Never thought I would see it happen but he earned it. Maybe he could be one of those who took the Boychuk path?

One can only hope...

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Looking back at the 2007, it was a tough one for scouts.

The second round was a bust-fest.

Cross was #12 at central scouting.

Subban was #102 and Benn was #107.

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
Good luck to Dr Cross but he will always be linked to how much we screwed up the 2007 draft for me..

the first two rounds of the 07 draft.

Our draft

Zach Hamill
tommy Cross ( we move up to get him )

Scabs

Max Pacioretti
Ryan McDonagh
Pre K Subban

oh and Wayne Simmonds was taken with the last pick in the 2nd round who seemed like a prototypical bruins pick...
Best of luck to Tommy Cross but every time I hear his name I think what if we'd have had the Habs draft that year...
You can play this game every year with every draft. It's just mental ************.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Ahh yes, good ol' Tommy Cross. Only took him 8 years to make the big club. Finally got that medical degree going for him though, which is good. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, congrats Tommy, make the most of it!

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
You can play this game every year with every draft. It's just mental ************.

I agree, but our arch rivals vs the Bruins in that draft is the most painful in memory. Not blaming Dr Cross just saying on a personal note he will always be linked to the what if.. I'm sure Habs fans do it with Lucic in the 06 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad