Injury Report: Joe Morrow on IR, Tommy Cross Recalled

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Joe Morrow was placed on IR today with the flu.

Tommy Cross has been recalled.

Congratulations Tommy!! What he's had to do to get to this point is incredible. Glad to see him rewarded for it and his great camp.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Glad he is going to get at least one game in the NHL in his hockey career. Seems like a real solid guy.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The question is, will Cross play, or is he the seventh man?

I think he plays - there are handedness issues, if I've read correctly. Plus, frankly, we have nothing to lose at this point, and he has everything to gain by playing his heart out. Despite being a veteran, he's an NHL rookie, and maybe he'll bring some of that zing that Pastrnak brought last year when he came up.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Could also be a message to the Boston vets, play hard or we will call up the whole ****^^%^ Providence team

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
he's going to break gordie howes record for oldest nhl player

congrats

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Congrats to TC; hope he brings that same energy and physicality he did in the preseason.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Drafted in 2007, now that is a wait to make it to the show.

Hopefully he is ready and we have a pleasant surprise in the mess that is the first 3 games.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Wow,finally;Talent Analysis

Cross is a big defenseman who is not only strong on his skates but can turn on the jets when necessary. Overall he sees the ice well and has considerable hockey sense. He uses his size and strength, along with good stickhandling ability to effectively shut down opponents around his net and along the boards. Cross will play physical game with an emphasis on his defensive play but does have a strong shot and some limited offensive capabilities.
Future

Cross attended training camp with the Bruins before being assigned to AHL affiliate Providence at the start of the 2014-15 season. Now in his third pro season, Cross saw more ice time than expected early in the year due to injuries to defensemen throughout the Bruins' organization and has taken advantage of the increased role. He has displayed some of the offensive attributes of his Boston College days while at the same time playing a strong two-way game. Long-term he could project as high as a Dennis Seidenberg-type, if he can continue to refine his outlet game and continues integrating himself into the play in all three zones. Injuries have slowed his progress and there is a lot of depth in the Boston organization. He may have to head elsewhere to get his NHL opportunity.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
Wait, you can go on IR because of the flu? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Is it like that crazy Swine Flu or Bird Flu or something? Or just an excuse to get Cross up on the big squad.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Some interesting facts:

When Tommy Cross was drafted by the Bruins Princess Diana was still just engaged to Prince Charles and the United States had just sent its first rocket into space. Dwight Eisenhower was deciding on which political ticket to run for office and Napoleon had just sold us the Louisiana Territory.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Is this team cursed with injuries ?
Before camp started Seidenberg.
During camp, Chara.
Game two, Marchand
Game three, Morrow, albeit the flu.
This is the type of thing that can set back Morrow.
Slowly getting his feet wet at the nhl, then has the flu.
The flu sounds fishy. Not too much flu going around. Quick google of
flu doesn't get many hits for this time of year. I want to hear what
Dr Reechi diagnoses.

Depending on how bad and long he could loose lots of weight and
strength.
Hopefully it isn't too bad.

Best of Luck to Tommy Cross.
Hope he plays so well, that they need to demote someone else.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Wait, you can go on IR because of the flu? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Is it like that crazy Swine Flu or Bird Flu or something? Or just an excuse to get Cross up on the big squad.

From what I've read (and I'd be happy to have others chime in if I'm totally off-base), it's at the team doc's discretion. In theory:

1) You can get pretty nasty complications from the flu, although that's usually with immunocompromised people (children, elderly, diabetes, etc.) For an ostensibly healthy adult like most NHL players, that shouldn't be an issue, but it can happen.

2) You could argue that you want to quarantine players ASAP to prevent it spreading. Having the sick player in Boston and the healthy players in Colorado is one of the best quarantine methods I can think of.

3) Maybe it's not the flu and it's something else. Maybe it's the flu in addition to something minor (say, tweaked elbow).

Either way, IR means he's ineligible for 7 days. It opens up a roster spot, and it may open up some cap space, too. He was going to miss Wednesday, and maybe they determined it's not worth it to send a half-healthy Morrow flying commercial across the country to Arizona on Saturday. He'll be eligible to play the game after that, which is Wednesday back at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->