Joe Hicketts

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
I've been to quite a few Griffins game as I get free tickets front row where the Griffins shoot twice. One player that sticks out every single game and almost every shift is Joe Hicketts. Laid a huge hit every game I've seen this year and plays twice the size he is. His compete level is off the charts and I think his skating is elite and has a heck of a shot too. Ive known about him since most hardcore wings fans have and never really caught my attention till this year

I have no idea if this was expected of him but I'm pleased.

Thoughts?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I definitely would not call his skating elite. It's pretty good, but not elite by any means. His positioning/gap is fantastic. For a guy his height that is not an elite skater, this allows him to not get beat like you think he might. Not sure if that will hold up at the next level. But he seems to have held up to the transition to the AHL well so far.

Last edited:

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
He's got the heart of of a guy who's 6'6. There have been one or two instances where his height has held him back but I've been presently surprised with him so far.

That said the NHL is a different beast. Guys are muuuuuch stronger and the transition from the AHL to the NHL will be his biggest challenge yet. Luckily he's not disappointed yet, and he's hitting the gym, 175 right now. Krug is 185 so if he can put on 10-15 more pounds he should be ready

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He's got the heart of of a guy who's 6'6. There have been one or two instances where his height has held him back but I've been presently surprised with him so far.

That said the NHL is a different beast. Guys are muuuuuch stronger and the transition from the AHL to the NHL will be his biggest challenge yet. Luckily he's not disappointed yet, and he's hitting the gym, 175 right now. Krug is 185 so if he can put on 10-15 more pounds he should be ready

He has actually cut weight over the last two seasons. I don't think strength will be the make or break characteristic for him. I worry about his reach given his skating more than anything. He has looked much better than I ever expected in GR.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I definitely would not call his skating elite. It's pretty good, but not elite by any means. His positioning/gap is fantastic. For a guy his height that is not an elite skater, this allows him to not get beat like you think he might. Not sure if that will hold up at the next level. But he seems to have held up to the transition to the AHL well so far.

He doesn't have Larkin speed but I think he is a great skater. His edge work and lateral movement is very strong giving him a fantastic ability to walk the blue line in the offensive zone and (as you pointed out) control gaps. But he also has good speed and a powerful stride. Take a look at this video most of which shows of his footwork along the blue, but if you make note of the 1:25 mark, he enters the neutral zone in stride and takes 3 explosive strides, accelerating through the zone while caring the puck.

Like Rzombo, I am more concerned about reach than strength. He has always been stronger than his size would indicate and can hold his own in a higher a weight class. However, his skating combined with his intelligence gets him in positions to mitigate his shortcomings in reach.

Last edited:

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016

Was at that game and you can see me and my buddy pounding the glass after the first goal lol

Something about his skating is elite. Whether it's the explosiveness or the top speed etc. I meant for more of his level right now I think his skating is fantastic. Love the kids game

Imagine if the Detroit Red wings played with that intensity. He seems pretty damn strong for his size too

Last edited by a moderator:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015

So sick of the whole add weight he'll be good thing. Joe Hicketts is a thick, thick kid who seems to be really strong. Adding weight isn't needed. He was listed at like 185 lbs I think in past years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So sick of the whole add weight he'll be good thing. Joe Hicketts is a thick, thick kid who seems to be really strong. Adding weight isn't needed. He was listed at like 185 lbs I think in past years.

Yeah, at his height he probably is playing at a good weight. I'd bet in actuality Krug has like 2 inches or so on Hicketts. 175-180 is probably a good weight for him at his height. Gerbe is 175 lbs and squats 500 lbs. You can be that weight and make it work.

I'm not concerned with his weight or strength holding him back.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Yeah, at his height he probably is playing at a good weight. I'd bet in actuality Krug has like 2 inches or so on Hicketts. 175-180 is probably a good weight for him at his height. Gerbe is175 lbs and squats 500 lbs. You can be that weight and make it work.

I'm not concerned with his weight or strength holding him back.

Wait, what?

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Look at Datsyuk, he was never huge but there are fewer players who were stronger on their skates because he understood leverage so well. Size is great, but it can be compensated for.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's really tough to be a defenseman that small without elite offensive talent (although he's no slouch). I've always seen Hicketts to make his money on the defensive end of the puck, and that's going to be tougher and tougher for him at every level. It's tough to essentially not have a pokecheck you can use. Here's hoping, though. I could see him as a more offensive version of Frankie Bouillon, which would be a useful player. Like 20-25 points and solid defensive play.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What I like about him is that he seems to be playing with a pretty long stick. So he doesn't look as small out there as he otherwise would. For example Nyquist seems to play with a short stick so he just doesn't have much reach at all. Stickwork and positioning can make up for a big size disadvantage. Rooting for the kid.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Look at Datsyuk, he was never huge but there are fewer players who were stronger on their skates because he understood leverage so well. Size is great, but it can be compensated for.

Datsyuk was 5'11. He was "smaller" but not small.

Hicketts is actually small. It will be a different story for him. Maybe he can do it. But it's a bigger problem for him than Datsyuk. Plus Datsyuk was literally a superstar elite talent.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This guy is very good. Seems to follow the puck around, great stickwork defensively and has the well documented offensive talent. Just played what was probably the best game of his career.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
This guy is very good. Seems to follow the puck around, great stickwork defensively and has the well documented offensive talent. Just played what was probably the best game of his career.
Hicketts played a very flashy game, but he made a lot of mistakes and his inexperience showed (Which is to be expected). He won't make the team this year, but the future looks bright for him to be a top 4 defensmen. He will make an impact, and soon.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Because we have so many solid options ahead of him? I laugh.

Let him makes mistakes at the NHL level. God knows I'd rather him learning than Ericcson/Oulette out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00