OT: Joe Colborne traded to Calgary for a 4th round pick

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Look beyond the stats. Look at the game logs.

Here are some of Kaberle's points that they couldn't have done without.

Game 6 against Vancouver- with the score 3-0 Boston with less than 10 minutes gone in the 1st, Kaberle takes a point shot on the pp that gets tipped in by Ryder to make it 4-0 against a clearly rattled and beaten Luongo. Later on with 7 minutes gone in the 3rd and the B's up 4-1 Kaberle gets a 2nd assist on a 5-3. Watch the play on NHL.com and tell me if it was really anything special (great pass by Recchi on the 1st assist though). It's telling that Kaberle got 18 minutes in that game that the B's controlled throughout, but in game 7, when it really mattered, he got 9 minutes.

Game 3- With the Bruins up 7-1 and 30 seconds left in the game, Kaberle gives a 1 ft back handed pass to Ryder at the blueline. Ryder then skates 20 feet in, curls and snaps a shot to make it 8-1 with less than 30 seconds to go.

Game 6 against TB (which the B's lost)- 4-2 TB with 10 minutes left in the game. Boston on the PP. Kaberle makes a 10ft pass to Horton on the 1/2 wall. Horton holds it for a couple seconds and then finds Krejci attacking the net. Horton makes a centering pass and Krejci tips it in. Then with 6 minutes to go in the game and boston down by 2, Kaberle makes a similar pass to Lucic on the half wall. Looch throws it to the net and Horton tips it in.

2 secondary assist that were pretty meh plays in a game they lost. Don't take my word. Watch them on NHL.com

Game 4 against TB (which the B's lost) 16 minutes into the game, the B's up 1-0. Kaberle gets the puck at his own blueline. Makes a pass to center ice that actually looks like is intercepted by a Lightning player, but Kelly pokes it free and it goes to Ryder who skates into the TB zone and snaps a wrister from the dot. I honestly watched it 3 times and I don't even think he deserves an assist on it since I think his pass hits a TB stick but I'll let you decide.

Game 2 against Philly. 13 minutes into the 1st and Philly up 2-0. Great rush by Peverly with a drop pass to Kaberle. Kaberle makes a nice move and snaps a shot that hits Boucher or the traffic in front. Ryder pokes at it, it goes to Kelly who scores. Nice shot that created a rebound.

Game 5 against Montreal. 5 minutes into the 3rd in a scoreless game. Kaberle at the left point passes the puck 20 feet to the half wall, Bergeron tips it and passes it so that goes behind the net to Marchand. Marchand circles out in front and scores. Bruins end up winning in OT.

Game 4 against Montreal 2 minutes into the 2nd, Bs down 1-0. Kaberle makes a great stretch pass to Ryder who streaks in and scores. Great pass. B's end up losing.

So I saw about 8 secondary assists, most of them totally meh. I saw 2 decent shots that were tipped in by a F or jammed in after a rebound by a f, and I saw one nice pass. A lot of his points came in games they lost or in games (8-1) that they had under control.

Again, in the biggest game though he played the fewest minutes. I really think that with or without Kaberle they win the Cup.

But let me be clear: I don't think getting him was a bad move at all, and I liked the fact that they went out and got a player whose skillset they needed. I just don't think he lived up to what I thought he was going to bring.

Fair enough and I agree with you on the last point he did not live up to what I thought either but I still think we don't win it without him and with the sheriff in his place.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Kaberle didn't come as advertised. Disappointing.

But that deal did far more for the Bruins than his 11 points (or whatever). It was a message to the team that the management above them believed they were good enough to win a Cup. The confidence a move like that can instill in a club is incredibly important.

Agree 100%

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
I thought Kaberle was very effective during the playoff run in his sheltered minutes. He tied for the team lead in point by a defenseman, yes? If Hnidy was playing he ain't doing that, and he was ****ing awful that year up to that point. I am not so sure we win the cup without Tomas, as disappointing as he was.

With all due respect, you are off on this subject. AINEC.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Fair enough and I agree with you on the last point he did not live up to what I thought either but I still think we don't win it without him and with the sheriff in his place.

I agree with this. Even some simple breakouts he made could not have been done by an inferior skater.

Not sure why the 11 assists thing is just blown off, either.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
LOL I was probably Kaberle's biggest fan here when they made that deal but he was horrible in the playoffs (and yes I know he had 11 assists) and was given 5th dman minutes while being EXTREMELY sheltered (over 60% offensive zone starts, easiest opponents).

To say they traded Colborne for a Cup is extremely hyperbolic.

Had they played Hnidy instead of Kaberle they still win the Cup

uhhh, no they probably do not. i do like how you say it as fact though.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
The biggest thing about the Kaberle deal is that the B's needed to free up some cap-room to make it happen which lead (at least in part) to the deals for Pevs and Kelly

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Considering what the Leafs did with the picks; Tyler Biggs (meh prospect), and John-Michael Liles (waived) and the Bruins won the cup, I think the over payment is irrelevant now.

member 96824

The Boston Bruins have never lost a playoff series that Tomas Kaberle played in.

History. :naughty:

BlacknGold Barbarino

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
But...but...he's a future power forward, and you don't give up potential like that! :laugh: Whatever you think of Kaberle, it's becoming increasingly clear that there's no "there" there for Colborne. Sure, he could turn it around, but the odds of him becoming the world beater some folks hyped him up to be are somewhere between slim and none. While there are always players you'd like to have back (howdy, Vlad Sobotka) Bs management seems to get more right than they get wrong when they decide to move on from a prospect. *Random blather about Jordan Caron outstaying his welcome here* The handwringing over Byron Bitz, Joe Colborne, Zach Hamill, etc. looks just a tad silly in hindsight.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But...but...he's a future power forward, and you don't give up potential like that! :laugh: Whatever you think of Kaberle, it's becoming increasingly clear that there's no "there" there for Colborne. Sure, he could turn it around, but the odds of him becoming the world beater some folks hyped him up to be are somewhere between slim and none. While there are always players you'd like to have back (howdy, Vlad Sobotka) Bs management seems to get more right than they get wrong when they decide to move on from a prospect. *Random blather about Jordan Caron outstaying his welcome here* The handwringing over Byron Bitz, Joe Colborne, Zach Hamill, etc. looks just a tad silly in hindsight.

To be fair, this is nothing but Monday morning quarterbacking at it's best. At the time of the trade, colbourne was the top ranked prospect in the organization. It's not that he didn't pan out or that he's not a good player. It's that he was considered by many to be the Bruins best prospect. That's what I had an issue with when they moved him. I'd already written the guy off as a player after seeing him live (too passive, out of position, didn't use his size), but what he actually represented as the top prospect was why I felt they didn't maximize the return.

So this after the fact nonsense of "I told you so" and calling people out for being against something at a specific point in time is actually worse than the original displeasure.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
To be fair, this is nothing but Monday morning quarterbacking at it's best. At the time of the trade, colbourne was the top ranked prospect in the organization. It's not that he didn't pan out or that he's not a good player. It's that he was considered by many to be the Bruins best prospect. That's what I had an issue with when they moved him. I'd already written the guy off as a player after seeing him live (too passive, out of position, didn't use his size), but what he actually represented as the top prospect was why I felt they didn't maximize the return.

So this after the fact nonsense of "I told you so" and calling people out for being against something at a specific point in time is actually worse than the original displeasure.

Management didn't have him slated as our top prospect. I didn't either. What a third party has him "ranked" is inconsequential to those who are better informed.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

You sure? Pretty sure Colborne dropped a few spots and many around here soured on him

By the time I got to see him live, I saw a glaring lack of heart and battle, at that point I wanted little to do with him. Knight may not make it past the hump his injuries created, but I was and am ecstatic PC got Burke to take Colborne instead

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Management didn't have him slated as our top prospect. I didn't either. What a third party has him "ranked" is inconsequential to those who are better informed.

We can quibble and argue, but even if you want to say he wasn't the top ranked prospect, he was one of their top ranked prospects. He also was a tough last cut from camp that year, so it's not out of bounds for some to have considered him as such. Either way though, it's a safe assumption that he was one of their top prospects, regardless of where he's ended up at this point. It's not like he was just another depth guy who had zero chance of making the big club.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Two honest questions:

1) Is this the Leafs board?

2) Why are we discussing Joe Colborne?

I mean its great reading and all.....

You have to ask? This place still talks about Kessel every other day, Joe Thornton weekly, and there's a very large, and very odd, faction that is still crying about Vladimir Sobotka getting traded (Yes Joe, I mean you). Of course this place is going to talk about Colborne. Splitting hairs is what we do...:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad