OT: Joe Colborne traded to Calgary for a 4th round pick

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433005

TORONTO -- It didn't take long for Brian Burke to reach into his Toronto Maple Leafs past in his new job with the Calgary Flames.

Late Saturday night, Burke's Flames acquired centre Joe Colborne for a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2014 draft.

Colborne was among the players fighting for one of the final spots on the Leafs roster but did not stand out in the pre-season. The 23-year-old joins a host of other young players who are expected to be given big minutes by the rebuilding Flames.

"With the opportunity to speak with Brian Burke and learn about Joe's hockey sense and character from someone who had him as a player and knows him so well, it became clear to us that this is the type of young, big centre we need," Flames general manager Jay Feaster said in a statement.

"He fits in very well with our rebuild and provides size up the middle which we believe is critical going forward. The fact that he is from Calgary is an added bonus. We look forward to welcoming him to the Flames family."

It's the second time Burke has traded for Colborne. When he was the Leafs' GM, Burke got Colborne from the Bruins as part of a deal that sent defenceman Tomas Kaberle to Boston.

Now the Flames' president of hockey operations, Burke has some salary-cap space to play with. Beyond Colborne, who's on a one-year, one-way deal that pays him US$600,000, that could mean getting involved in waivers in the coming days.

"I would predict that Sunday will be a big day on the waiver wire, and possibly Monday, because the league starts on Tuesday," Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said.

Colborne, a 2008 first-round pick of the Bruins, has one goal and five assists in 16 career NHL games for the Leafs. He had three assists in six pre-season games.

Toronto said the fourth-round pick it got for Colborne is Calgary's and that it could be upgraded to a third rounder "if certain conditions are met in the upcoming season." Those conditions were not disclosed.

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
I don't think Colborne was eligible for waivers so Im guessing they didn't want to pay him his one way deal to play in the AHL when they know they have more depth at his position and he's not coming up this year. It is very similar to our position with Caron. Even if we had one or two injuries to our forwards I'm not sure Caron gets the call up at this point. I'd prefer a prospect to a lower pick like that for Caron but better to get something before his deal is up this summer.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Colborne had to go through waivers if sent down-I assume the Leafs wanted to get something for him and I could easily see Burke claiming him.

Probably good for Colborne-don't the flames desperately need some centers?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
remember how unhappy people were when we traded big Joe #2 for a cup.

I do

I remember being more upset about the 1st and 2nd that went along with him...

As for Colborne, it seemed like it was inevitable that he'd eventually end up in Calgary. I wish him well. He's got tremendous skill to go with that 6'5 frame, he just has no drive or urgency in his game.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I remember being more upset about the 1st and 2nd that went along with him...

As for Colborne, it seemed like it was inevitable that he'd eventually end up in Calgary. I wish him well. He's got tremendous skill to go with that 6'5 frame, he just has no drive or urgency in his game.

I remember the phrase "2 firsts and a second".

Which completely oversold Colborne's value.

Burkie wanted Knight and a 1st right?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

I do

I was one of them. :laugh:

Still think he's going to be a decent nhler. Got a big body, but needs a coach to really tell him to use it. To go into the dirty areas. Great teammate. I watched him play in Prov a bit and really enjoyed his play. Maybe Calgary is the perfect spot for him. Rebuilding team. Got a couple of nice young players.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Remember when Leafs fans thought it was such an overpayment of a deal (on the bruins side) and that he'd be a superstar?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I do

LOL I was probably Kaberle's biggest fan here when they made that deal but he was horrible in the playoffs (and yes I know he had 11 assists) and was given 5th dman minutes while being EXTREMELY sheltered (over 60% offensive zone starts, easiest opponents).

To say they traded Colborne for a Cup is extremely hyperbolic.

Had they played Hnidy instead of Kaberle they still win the Cup.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
No one was more vocal as hating that deal the day it went down, but even then I said I didn't care about giving up Colborne the player.

But I was upset about what I considered poor asset management. At the time Colborne still represented a first round talent with real trade value.

Just because I didn't like him as a prospect it didn't change the fact that he was still an asset. Obviously they didn't screw up in trading the specific player, but I still think they gave up too much for Kaberle.*

*OBVIOUSLY IT WORKED OUT AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought Kaberle was very effective during the playoff run in his sheltered minutes. He tied for the team lead in point by a defenseman, yes? If Hnidy was playing he ain't doing that, and he was ****ing awful that year up to that point. I am not so sure we win the cup without Tomas, as disappointing as he was.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If we lost the Tampa series Kaberle would have been the biggest goat. He had some monumental gaffs.

But that pass to Ryder against Montreal was just huge in that series.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My biggest beef at the time was that the Bruins had ruined Colborne's trade value. He had come off a good college career, and they sent him to that cesspool that was Providence at that point, and seemed to bury him there, to the point where his trade value dropped every time he stepped on the ice

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I assume that Colborne was a Wayne Smith pick? Was it Hamill the year before him? Those two guys alone would get you canned. Not an NHL goal between them I don't think.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
My biggest beef at the time was that the Bruins had ruined Colborne's trade value. He had come off a good college career, and they sent him to that cesspool that was Providence at that point, and seemed to bury him there, to the point where his trade value dropped every time he stepped on the ice

Providence was a hot mess at the time, but Colborne buried himself there with his trustafarian work ethic. Guy dogged it day in and day out, and got what he deserved: A one-way ticket out of town.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
LOL I was probably Kaberle's biggest fan here when they made that deal but he was horrible in the playoffs (and yes I know he had 11 assists) and was given 5th dman minutes while being EXTREMELY sheltered (over 60% offensive zone starts, easiest opponents).

To say they traded Colborne for a Cup is extremely hyperbolic.

Had they played Hnidy instead of Kaberle they still win the Cup.

really? I liked Hnidy but no way we win the cup with him in there.

I mean hell he only got 11 assists one time in a season in his career. In 40 career playoff game he had 2 assists and was a minus 4. No sorry he could not have filled Kabs shoes on that cup run.

Every player on that team was needed to win the cup. The deal for Kaberle as little as he did was still part of the whole that was the cup winner.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I mean hell he only got 11 assists one time in a season in his career. In 40 career playoff game he had 2 assists and was a minus 4. No sorry he could not have filled Kabs shoes on that cup run.

Every player on that team was needed to win the cup. The deal for Kaberle as little as he did was still part of the whole that was the cup winner.

No ****. Hnidy DID play a couple games, for a grand total of what 7 minutes?

But ya, he totally could have stepped in:laugh:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Look beyond the stats. Look at the game logs.

Here are some of Kaberle's points that they couldn't have done without.

Game 6 against Vancouver- with the score 3-0 Boston with less than 10 minutes gone in the 1st, Kaberle takes a point shot on the pp that gets tipped in by Ryder to make it 4-0 against a clearly rattled and beaten Luongo. Later on with 7 minutes gone in the 3rd and the B's up 4-1 Kaberle gets a 2nd assist on a 5-3. Watch the play on NHL.com and tell me if it was really anything special (great pass by Recchi on the 1st assist though). It's telling that Kaberle got 18 minutes in that game that the B's controlled throughout, but in game 7, when it really mattered, he got 9 minutes.

Game 3- With the Bruins up 7-1 and 30 seconds left in the game, Kaberle gives a 1 ft back handed pass to Ryder at the blueline. Ryder then skates 20 feet in, curls and snaps a shot to make it 8-1 with less than 30 seconds to go.

Game 6 against TB (which the B's lost)- 4-2 TB with 10 minutes left in the game. Boston on the PP. Kaberle makes a 10ft pass to Horton on the 1/2 wall. Horton holds it for a couple seconds and then finds Krejci attacking the net. Horton makes a centering pass and Krejci tips it in. Then with 6 minutes to go in the game and boston down by 2, Kaberle makes a similar pass to Lucic on the half wall. Looch throws it to the net and Horton tips it in.

2 secondary assist that were pretty meh plays in a game they lost. Don't take my word. Watch them on NHL.com

Game 4 against TB (which the B's lost) 16 minutes into the game, the B's up 1-0. Kaberle gets the puck at his own blueline. Makes a pass to center ice that actually looks like is intercepted by a Lightning player, but Kelly pokes it free and it goes to Ryder who skates into the TB zone and snaps a wrister from the dot. I honestly watched it 3 times and I don't even think he deserves an assist on it since I think his pass hits a TB stick but I'll let you decide.

Game 2 against Philly. 13 minutes into the 1st and Philly up 2-0. Great rush by Peverly with a drop pass to Kaberle. Kaberle makes a nice move and snaps a shot that hits Boucher or the traffic in front. Ryder pokes at it, it goes to Kelly who scores. Nice shot that created a rebound.

Game 5 against Montreal. 5 minutes into the 3rd in a scoreless game. Kaberle at the left point passes the puck 20 feet to the half wall, Bergeron tips it and passes it so that goes behind the net to Marchand. Marchand circles out in front and scores. Bruins end up winning in OT.

Game 4 against Montreal 2 minutes into the 2nd, Bs down 1-0. Kaberle makes a great stretch pass to Ryder who streaks in and scores. Great pass. B's end up losing.

So I saw about 8 secondary assists, most of them totally meh. I saw 2 decent shots that were tipped in by a F or jammed in after a rebound by a f, and I saw one nice pass. A lot of his points came in games they lost or in games (8-1) that they had under control.

Again, in the biggest game though he played the fewest minutes. I really think that with or without Kaberle they win the Cup.

But let me be clear: I don't think getting him was a bad move at all, and I liked the fact that they went out and got a player whose skillset they needed. I just don't think he lived up to what I thought he was going to bring.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
His dad had some say in getting him to Calgary (where he has a bunch of connections) and knew his son would have a good chance to play.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Dr. Q, the Bruins won game 4 in Montreal.

Yes they did. Instead of games 4 and 5 I think it should have been games 5 and 6.

But like I said, you can watch every single point he had on NHL.com. One great pass by him and a couple of decent point shots. Of course he made some other plays that were good that didn't end up on the stat sheet, but I also remember some gaffes.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Look beyond the stats. Look at the game logs.

Here are some of Kaberle's points that they couldn't have done without.

Game 6 against Vancouver- with the score 3-0 Boston with less than 10 minutes gone in the 1st, Kaberle takes a point shot on the pp that gets tipped in by Ryder to make it 4-0 against a clearly rattled and beaten Luongo. Later on with 7 minutes gone in the 3rd and the B's up 4-1 Kaberle gets a 2nd assist on a 5-3. Watch the play on NHL.com and tell me if it was really anything special (great pass by Recchi on the 1st assist though). It's telling that Kaberle got 18 minutes in that game that the B's controlled throughout, but in game 7, when it really mattered, he got 9 minutes.

Game 3- With the Bruins up 7-1 and 30 seconds left in the game, Kaberle gives a 1 ft back handed pass to Ryder at the blueline. Ryder then skates 20 feet in, curls and snaps a shot to make it 8-1 with less than 30 seconds to go.

Game 6 against TB (which the B's lost)- 4-2 TB with 10 minutes left in the game. Boston on the PP. Kaberle makes a 10ft pass to Horton on the 1/2 wall. Horton holds it for a couple seconds and then finds Krejci attacking the net. Horton makes a centering pass and Krejci tips it in. Then with 6 minutes to go in the game and boston down by 2, Kaberle makes a similar pass to Lucic on the half wall. Looch throws it to the net and Horton tips it in.

2 secondary assist that were pretty meh plays in a game they lost. Don't take my word. Watch them on NHL.com

Game 4 against TB (which the B's lost) 16 minutes into the game, the B's up 1-0. Kaberle gets the puck at his own blueline. Makes a pass to center ice that actually looks like is intercepted by a Lightning player, but Kelly pokes it free and it goes to Ryder who skates into the TB zone and snaps a wrister from the dot. I honestly watched it 3 times and I don't even think he deserves an assist on it since I think his pass hits a TB stick but I'll let you decide.

Game 2 against Philly. 13 minutes into the 1st and Philly up 2-0. Great rush by Peverly with a drop pass to Kaberle. Kaberle makes a nice move and snaps a shot that hits Boucher or the traffic in front. Ryder pokes at it, it goes to Kelly who scores. Nice shot that created a rebound.

Game 5 against Montreal. 5 minutes into the 3rd in a scoreless game. Kaberle at the left point passes the puck 20 feet to the half wall, Bergeron tips it and passes it so that goes behind the net to Marchand. Marchand circles out in front and scores. Bruins end up winning in OT.

Game 4 against Montreal 2 minutes into the 2nd, Bs down 1-0. Kaberle makes a great stretch pass to Ryder who streaks in and scores. Great pass. B's end up losing.

So I saw about 8 secondary assists, most of them totally meh. I saw 2 decent shots that were tipped in by a F or jammed in after a rebound by a f, and I saw one nice pass. A lot of his points came in games they lost or in games (8-1) that they had under control.

Again, in the biggest game though he played the fewest minutes. I really think that with or without Kaberle they win the Cup.

But let me be clear: I don't think getting him was a bad move at all, and I liked the fact that they went out and got a player whose skillset they needed. I just don't think he lived up to what I thought he was going to bring.

Let's take a look at Shane Hnidy's game logs for that year.......

Well that didn't take long.

:laugh:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Yes they did. Instead of games 4 and 5 I think it should have been games 5 and 6.

But like I said, you can watch every single point he had on NHL.com. One great pass by him and a couple of decent point shots. Of course he made some other plays that were good that didn't end up on the stat sheet, but I also remember some gaffes.

Kaberle didn't come as advertised. Disappointing.

But that deal did far more for the Bruins than his 11 points (or whatever). It was a message to the team that the management above them believed they were good enough to win a Cup. The confidence a move like that can instill in a club is incredibly important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->