Joe Colborne is Really Tall

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If by this year you mean everything post his repeated healthy scratchings, then yes.

Since mid-January or so, he's looked like someone at least worth keeping for bait in the expansion draft. But he's also riding an abnormally high shooting percentage that almost certainly isn't sustainable.

So if Treliving was indeed shopping Bouma at deadline, then don't look for him to make the same mistake twice in overpaying for Colborne.

Well to be fair he has scored almost all of his goals from in tight. I'd bet he's really only attempted around 20-30 shots from outside 8ft. Players that score from in tight or on deflections with regularity will usually have a higher S%. Tomas Holmstrom's career S% was 16.3, pretty high despite not being a noted shooter. Joe's may be abnormally high this year but for his career it's still 14.5%.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If by everything post his repeated healthy scratchings you mean post-deadline, then yes.
Or there was a nagging injury we didn't know about, not bad enough for IR but hurting his play.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I would just like to take a moment to point out that Colborne has 39 points in 70 games. Over 82 games that is a pace of 45/46 points; this past off-season I predicted boldly that Colborne would reach 50 points this year if healthy. While he will not reach 50, I was treated like I was bad **** crazy for making such a suggestion. So for those of you who questioned my sanity.....

He's just slightly shy of my bat-crap crazy prediction though. :(
(That said, my prediction was based on the premise he would play in Hudler's spot all season)

I would like him to learn to play better defense and PK. He'd make an outstanding 3rd line C/W if he could.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd bring him back. I still think there is time for him to put everything together. I don't think we've seen his peak just yet.

moon*

will he really get paid 3 mil though? I haven't looked at RFA comparables, but for an RFA with his history can we really get that high from anyone? I doubt he gets poached considering the risk he does entail, especially with the cap staying stagnant so really Calgary has all the power. He is more proven offensively than Bouma though, so maybe he gets 2.75 per for 2 years.

Well Backlund is paid 3.5 million with barely better numbers although he had 2 seasons of 30+ points so maybe that gives him a little more money.

Bouma had 1 season close but not as good as Colborne's and then 2 seasons much worse than Colbornes and he got 2.2 million

So I think somewhere around 3 million in the middle of those 2 guys is pretty reasonable. I think he is closer to Backlund (well equal to Backlund) so that's why I think close to 3 million is possible.

That said that is only Flames comparables maybe there are better league wide guys to give us an idea.

The thing is we are kidding ourselves if we say Colborne-Backlund-Frolik is not our second line next year and maybe the year after, so until Bennett & the younger guys gunning to play with him step up and become the second line, I don't see it as an issue to pay colborne for two years since they can re-evaluate he and backlund's role over the next two years anyway, and it gives some insulation to the kids coming up. Colborne/Backlund can they be let go if the younger guys have earned a big pay day, in which case they Flames can probably afford to let them go anyway and not affect the one ice product

You may be right and if so that is pretty concerning as that is not close to a contending 2nd line.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If by this year you mean everything post his repeated healthy scratchings, then yes.

Since mid-January or so, he's looked like someone at least worth keeping for bait in the expansion draft. But he's also riding an abnormally high shooting percentage that almost certainly isn't sustainable.

So if Treliving was indeed shopping Bouma at deadline, then don't look for him to make the same mistake twice in overpaying for Colborne.

My feeling as well.
He's a good 30-40 point guy in a perfect world. The fact he's put up some mesningless numbers since we've been in the basement doesn't really impress, and it shouldn't for anyone with their head screwed on right.

Have to really watch out so he doesn't get a big contract. Colborne at 3+ would hurt this team.

Decent bottom 6 guy with size. Would look good with Backlund maybe if they redid the top 6 (my hope).

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
People saying Colborne is putting up numbers when it doesn't matter could also look at it this way. He's been awesome in the stretch drive. If we had a competent goalie and overall were in the playoffs race he'd be heating up during the push for a playoff spot. You can look at it that way too

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
People saying Colborne is putting up numbers when it doesn't matter could also look at it this way. He's been awesome in the stretch drive. If we had a competent goalie and overall were in the playoffs race he'd be heating up during the push for a playoff spot. You can look at it that way too

Not to mention when we call someone up and they play a couple games and play well, people want them signed or on the team next year but when its a player they don't like the games at the end of the year don't count at all and it was easy to score.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not to mention when we call someone up and they play a couple games and play well, people want them signed or on the team next year but when its a player they don't like the games at the end of the year don't count at all and it was easy to score.
yeah but they never played for the Leafs

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
So I was messing around on war-on-ice trying to see how good David Pastrnak is, and I was sorting by 5v5 p/60 this season.

Lo and behold, Joe "Big and Local" Colborne is 11th in the league in 5v5 p/60, narrowly beating Johnny. Also, since the start or January, he's at 2.8 5v5 p/60, which would be good for 2nd in the league if extrapolated over a full season.

Joe Colborne has been playing like an elite player for the 2nd half of this season. Is it sustainable? Hell no imo, but it is awfully impressive.

Also I looked at David Pastrnak's stats and the Flames should totally trade their first for him (non-lottery/Dubois obviously)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00