Joanie "Chyna" Laurer passes away

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Don't blame Stpehanie and Hunter for this. Many times the person who needs the help, has to want the help. Whose to say they didn't offer help, or try to help?

At the end of the day Vince has really never turned his back on anyone willing to help themselves turn things around.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
it's embarrassing reading the insincerity from hhh and stephanie, and they think now that she's dead they can probably put her in the HOF as some sort of make good which is BS, if it wasn't for them she probably would not have hit the downward spiral she's been on, since they essentially blackballed her from wwe

It may be embarrassing to read the insincerity of their words but it must be said. Now I'd probably have a problem with them using this to make money off of her name and what she did in the near future but saying some condolences and kind words over social media, even if insincere, is not something to get on them for.

And while their relationship contributed to her problems, at some point she has to be held responsible for her situation. People get screwed over like she did all the time and not everyone turns to drugs, denial, and lashing out as a coping mechanism. WWE has always given help to those that have needed it when it comes to substance abuse.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It blows my mind Chyna is dead but Somehow Jake Roberts, Scott HAll, Xpac Kurt angle and Keith Richards are still alive

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
It is sad that she is gone. But the WWE could have helped her our. The only reason that comes to mind as to why not is two people and we know who they are. They could have helped her and they didn't. They said that they have tried to help other former employees in the past, why not Chyna? A lot of the stuff is because of what they did to her, Paul and Stephanie.

Would she have accepted help from them?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I think the weird part, mainly about HHH (because why would Steph give a ****?), is how detached he has sounded when discussing her. This mainly comes from the Stone Cold podcast, where he talked about her as just another past performer, not someone linked to him personally as well as professionally.

As far as Steph, remember she engaged in some revisionist history about her "romance" with Hunter for USA Today or some sort of interview geared to a casual audience who doesn't know the real deal.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Chyna is a topic that the WWE didn't want to talk about, so it's expected that HHH would try and stay detached. Especially with the accusations she's made about him, and the law suits that HHH had taken against there because of the.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
it's embarrassing reading the insincerity from hhh and stephanie, and they think now that she's dead they can probably put her in the HOF as some sort of make good which is BS, if it wasn't for them she probably would not have hit the downward spiral she's been on, since they essentially blackballed her from wwe

What?

The amount of **** that Chyna said about HHH including some awful, unfounded accusations, etc etc..I would say he's perfectly entitled to not be her biggest fan...even in death. He said what he said and I'm sure he believes it. He said she was a star and a pioneer...all true. He never said she was a great person and he'll miss her terribly.

It's mind boggling that HHH/Steph would get any criticism here...they had to do something and they did it and HHH certainly doesn't owe Chyna some giant heartfelt speech.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well, if this woman accused you of sexually assaulting her and attempted to run your name through the mud, you'd sound detached as well.

Despite that, he still praises her, calls her a pioneer for women in wrestling and says she should be in the Hall of Fame but it's not his choice.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It is sad that she is gone. But the WWE could have helped her our. The only reason that comes to mind as to why not is two people and we know who they are. They could have helped her and they didn't. They said that they have tried to help other former employees in the past, why not Chyna? A lot of the stuff is because of what they did to her, Paul and Stephanie.

I know WWE says they'll pay for any current or former wrestler to go to rehab. I'm assuming Chyna didn't want to. You can't help someone who won't help themselves.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Chyna was someone who transcended the WWE to me. I was never all that interested in wrestling but I would still tune in to watch her just because that character was so interesting. She was a physical specimen that was very believable in the ring, had a ton of charisma/stage presence and came across as a total badass, and still brought the sex appeal to the table that most other divas (both past and present) almost exclusively rely on.

Her star was definitely at it's highest in the early 2000s right before she left, and not just in the wrestling world. She was cleaning up in the ring, in playboy magazines, and appearing in some pretty big TV shows as well. I remember she was being considered for a part in the third Terminator movie as well. I feel like she almost single-handedly validated the divas as more than just a sideshow, and really helped to bring wrestling more to the mainstream. She was certainly a polarizing figure, but that's great in the wrestling world. Love her or hate her, you knew who she was even if you didn't watch wrestling.

Then it seemed like overnight where she just snapped and started to become a running joke. It's a real shame that her life just spiraled out of control so soon after her wrestling career, and very sad that this had been fairly predictable for a while despite her age.

I'll always remember her as an iconic figure for the WWE and women's sports in general, regardless of what has transpired the last 10+ years or so. RIP

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Forgive my ignorance, but why exactly did she leave WWE in the first place? Because of her break up primarily?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Forgive my ignorance, but why exactly did she leave WWE in the first place? Because of her break up primarily?

Correct, although there are a few versions of it.

wikipedia.com/chyna said:
The relationship between Triple H, her former real-life boyfriend, and Stephanie McMahon (with whom Laurer claims he had an affair and then left her for) was a major factor in her dismissal. She left the WWF on November 30, 2001, several months after she had been taken off of television. In 2007, then-WWE employee Jim Ross claimed that she was not fired, but rather chose to leave for personal reasons.

Laurer, in a 2015 interview with Vince Russo, stated that after a meeting with Vince McMahon about the Stephanie McMahon situation, she was sent home and was later sent a fax telling her that she was not needed anymore.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
She left in 2001? I thought it was longer than that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Her brain is being donated for research, but not for concussions, more what caused her downfall and mental state over the past decade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Her brain is being donated for research, but not for concussions, more what caused her downfall and mental state over the past decade.

If I had to guess, heartache over losing Trips and a job she probably enjoyed the hell out of that eventually led her to drugs that she just couldn't handle but I'm no scientist and even if I were, the information from such a brain would probably still be pretty damn interesting to find out...but I am kind of buzzed right now...Go Sharks. lol

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
If I had to guess, heartache over losing Trips and a job she probably enjoyed the hell out of that eventually led her to drugs that she just couldn't handle but I'm no scientist and even if I were, the information from such a brain would probably still be pretty damn interesting to find out...but I am kind of buzzed right now...Go Sharks. lol

I think she was the equivalent of a childhood tv star where they just couldn't cope with life after living in the limelight and being lost after their career/way of earning a living had passed them by.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Wasn't she messed up before that though? I think I read somewhere that she had an eating disorder in her teens.

My guess is she was already mentally ill and all the drugs just made it 1000000 times worse. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad