JJ Watt believes he could be serviceable player with 1 year training

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
guy had 50 tackles and 5 sacks last year. He's barely serviceable as a starting defensive end. Stay in your lane sir
He's mostly been an interior pass-rusher generally as a 3-4 end, which unless you are Aaron Donald doesn't tend to rack up crazy sack numbers. Just look at his peak years, they were ridiculous and the best numbers from an interior pass rusher since Warren Sapp.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ok Tom Brady might be in the discussion, but lets not pretend he is a household name in europe for example. The coverage of NFL is pretty much limited to some coverage of the superbowl.

And NHL is actually a big thing here with almost daily coverage in sports TV and other media as well. Also, Russisa is a pretty big country and I doubt there are many russians that havent heard of Ovechkin and Crosby for example.
The only populated country in Europe where the NHL gets massive coverage is in Russia. It's growing in Germany, but it is pretty much a nothing sport in the UK, France, Spain, Italy, and Turkey. Also keep in mind the United States has 350 million people, which is about the same size as the top 4 European countries combined.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
The only populated country in Europe where the NHL gets massive coverage is in Russia. It's growing in Germany, but it is pretty much a nothing sport in the UK, France, Spain, Italy, and Turkey. Also keep in mind the United States has 350 million people, which is about the same size as the top 4 European countries combined.
Obviously the NFL is much more popular than the NHL, but still it is not like all 350 million US citizens are into NFL and 0 are into NHL. Not sure how popular NFL is in Canada.

So globally, NFL is more or less limited to US and Canada.

The interest for NHL is big in Canada, it is what it is in US, big in some european countries and at least of relevant interest in Russia. Especially the national news coverage of the players from each country is pretty big.

So if you compare the interest globally, at least the casual interest, I doubt that you can say that the NFL would dwarf the NHL by any means.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Obviously the NFL is much more popular than the NHL, but still it is not like all 350 million US citizens are into NFL and 0 are into NHL. Not sure how popular NFL is in Canada.

The interest for NHL is big in Canada, it is what it is in US, big in some european countries and at least of relevant interest in Russia. Especially the national news coverage of the players from each country is pretty big.

So if you compare the interest globally, at least the casual interest, I doubt that you can say that the NFL would dwarf the NHL by any means.
Well, the NHL has problems turning that into actual revenue. The NFL also has some level of interest in Mexico, which is a country of 130 million.

The NFL is insanely popular in Canada.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

The NFL is massively popular in Canada.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well, the NHL has problems turning that into actual revenue. The NFL also has some level of interest in Mexico, which is a country of 130 million.

There's probably more NFL fans in Mexico than NHL fans in Canada by most estimates.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
After watching that video of this guy I never heard of, no way in hell does he make it. Most Midget aged house league kids skate like him. He would have a hard time making a Junior C team.

Reactions: Fatass

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

You are delusional if you think more people on the planet know of say Nathan MacKinnon than JJ Watt.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Yes and the NFL is even starting to grow in Europe. The games in London are very popular over there. They've even toyed with the idea of moving a team over there (obviously a ton of logistical issues will probably make that more of a pipe dream than a reality). It's not obviously not going to replace the other "football" but in a country like England there are way more American Football fans than Hockey fans.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008

Not arguing against that at all.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I know there's an argument about population density making the rounds, in the medical circles so to speak, but I'll just point out that Finland is in fact a populated country. 5+ million, no less. Finland is in Europe. I rest my case.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
01b15fb9-8c7c-4578-bcd5-32afc2a74ce5-png.447534

Whoa... is that Johnny Gaudreau?:dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: LokiDog

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Who? JJ from the NFL thinks he skates well enough in a year to be an NHL player? Is he nuts, or just seeking attention? He’d get killed. Maybe he should box a Youtuber first?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know there's an argument about population density making the rounds, in the medical circles so to speak, but I'll just point out that Finland is in fact a populated country. 5+ million, no less. Finland is in Europe. I rest my case.
Finland and Sweden don't make a dent when you are talking about global interest in something. Canada hardly does as a country of 35m. I'm not knocking countries for being small, I'm just saying when you are talking about global interest of something, being very popular in Sweden, Canada and Finland, doesn't really make a dent. For something to be relevant in Europe on a large scale, it needs to have popularity in at least a few of Russia, Turkey, the UK, France, Germany, and Italy. At the end of the day, Hockey has very little traction in Western Europe. It's growing in Germany, but so is the NFL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yes and the NFL is even starting to grow in Europe. The games in London are very popular over there. They've even toyed with the idea of moving a team over there (obviously a ton of logistical issues will probably make that more of a pipe dream than a reality). It's not obviously not going to replace the other "football" but in a country like England there are way more American Football fans than Hockey fans.
To be honest, with ease of travel, I've heard the England games really draw from all over Europe. People use cheap Ryen air seats and go over for the weekend/game.

Not that I think there is more popularity for the NHL than the NFL in the UK, just that it isn't very significant. They are pulling in not only people from the U.K., but all European fans and a ton of expats or international students who live in Europe.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

American Football and Baseball are pretty much nothing sports in those countries aswell though. Most people here in Sweden or back in the UK don't know who Tom Brady is. I don't know what team he plays for I just read he's in the NFL. I don't know a single baseball player.

Like yea it's exciting when they do exhibition games in the UK and what not because it's something new, but it's not as big of a deal as North American media sells it as.

Reactions: I am not exposed

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I have zero doubt that he could play and not get totally embarrassed. The NHL draws from a WAY smaller pool of talent than leagues like the NFL. Despite what some of the snobby elitists in this thread think, JJ Watt is likely a far superior athlete to every single current NHL player. If he dedicated years to nothing but training hockey (especially since he already knows how to play - he played AAA as a kid), he would be a decent bruiser in the NHL for sure.

If he’d chosen hockey at a young age and totally focused on it, I believe he’d have been a really good player.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think some of his coaches have said he was the best player to ever come through for that team. If he had stuck with the game and given his freak athleticism I wouldn't be surprised if he had made it to the NHL. Elite athletes tend to be elite whatever path they choose.
This. JJ Watt is an absolute freak athlete. Hockey is a sport, not astrophysics. His raw athleticism, size, and strength would have taken him very far in hockey.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad