JJ Watt believes he could be serviceable player with 1 year training

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Obviously a friendly joke, but got me thinking - give him 3 years of strictly hockey training do you think he could become a serviceable minor leaguer? I still say no...Really great article too

"If you gave me a year of nothing but hockey training, I could at least go out there and be serviceable," Watt said. "But the truth is these guys are so incredible and so skilled at what they do, especially watching these Cup playoffs. I think I probably make a fool of myself out there. But I can say this: I would get one or two good hits in. So at least there'll be something worthwhile to come out of it."

How J.J. Watt became one of the biggest Cole Caufield superfans

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
He played growing up didn't he? I think I remember seeing an article about how he loved hockey but it was too expensive so he chose to focus on football.

Skating is the #1 skill that would hold anyone back, if he played long enough to have good fundamentals, I wouldn't bet against an athlete like that devoting themselves 100% with a full calendar year of training with pro coaches.

Kinda want to see him try now, actually.

Last edited:

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I'd believe it but he has had some bad back injuries so i'm sure bending as much as hockey players do would ruin the rest of his spine.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He does know how to play hockey, so it’s a bit different than Jalen Ramsey claiming he could play in the NHL. There are some videos around of JJ Watt on the ice if anyone cares to google it. He’s a freak athlete, so I don’t doubt he could have been an NHL player if he had put his focus into that instead of the NFL at a younger age. I could see him being a similar player to a guy like Parayko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad