Confirmed with Link: Jiri Sekac traded for Devante Smith-Pelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Not really true but either way, a younger Bourque wasn't a bad player.

Not a bad player but an enigma, a very high maintenance but not quite high enough production type of player. I was just pointing to the fact that both have PF-like traits but with huge consistency issues(something Bourque's always had even in his younger days), so the road in Habsland might be a bumpy one for Pelly as he might not welcome the almost inevitable(unless he becomes something he hasn't been since coming into the league) much higher dose of criticism that comes with playing for a franchise like the Habs. People that expect Simmonds, who's much more talented and takes his conditioning much more seriously, have no clue.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
A lot of overreaction by Habs fans...

I'm glad we added some grit to the lineup in Smith-Pelley.

As far as Sekac go, he is a good young player and all but I don't think he'll never become a consistent top 6 player in this league. He's overrated.

Rick Springhetti ‏@Rick1042 · 6m6 minutes ago
I like Sekac but i think his offensive potential is overrated. Had 11 G in 47 gm in the KHL. Don't see that translating to 25 G in the NHL.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Perhaps if Sekac had shown any signs of being able to score goals in the NHL this year, he would of gotten more than a few opportunities playing in the top 6

But when you can't even generate shots and/or scoring chances in a bottom 6 role, you don't deserve that chance.

again...

Jiri Sekac 50games = 56 shots on goal

You guys realize that even Christian Thomas has more than half as many shots on goal in 17 TOTAL games???

Prust/Eller are most likely the worst puck distributor on the team.

Most people knew nothing about Sekac while DSP was being covered back to his JR days.

Thomas takes shots from downtown i feel he's a closet basketball player.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
well said

That's the point. This is a move for this year's playoffs. DSP will bring more this year in the POs than Sekac would.

But yeah, we should trade Plekanec, Markov, Gonchar etc. and bring up McCarron and Scherbak so that we're out first round and have a better pick...

Many of us called it long ago, Bergevin is going for it this year, without sacrificing too much futures.

phoque taupe

May 15, 2010
Montréal
team_canada.jpg

Yeah, DSP made Team Canada in 2011/12. And as you can see from this picture, Team Canada always selects losers :sarcasm:

Leblanc_Canada_Harvard_medium.jpg

Gamble80

Sep 23, 2014
You didn't read his body language or his smirk, or the fact he mentioned he would get a chance to play this time...YOU KNOW PLAY. that says he wanted out.

I absolutely read his body language and it said "I'm shocked, kinda hurt, and nervous as hell to what happens next."

His statement about "playing", was more to defend his lack of production and his true worth as a player in the NHL.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
So we get even less offensively talented and now people will blame Therrien even more. Maybe DSP will start to break out but right now it doesn't look like a great trade.

Wait a sec. Sekac never been a PPG player, not even in the USHL.

DSP has been a PPG 2 seasons in a row in the OHL.

DSP has proven to have more offensive talent than Sekac in the past.

Sekac is a good perimeter player, DSP is in teh thick of it. Sekac never throws a damn body check, DSP loves to hit.

It's a wash in my book. DPS fills a void.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone think DSP can be a top 6? Not sure I've seen too many hold that view.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That's the point. This is a move for this year's playoffs. DSP will bring more this year in the POs than Sekac would.

But yeah, we should trade Plekanec, Markov, Gonchar etc. and bring up McCarron and Scherbak so that we're out first round and have a better pick...

Many of us called it long ago, Bergevin is going for it this year, without sacrificing too much futures.

Yes. I'd much rather have DSP than Sekac for the 2015 playoffs. Next season is an entirely different story but as of this right now the Habs are actually a better team.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I think DSP becomes a fan favourite here after the playoffs.

Like many, I think Sekac has great potential, but I can easily see him heading back to the KHL in a couple of years.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Prust (84 hits in 59 games) and Weise (108 hits in 56 games) were the only hitting forwards. Smith-Pelley (147 hits in 54 games) was a BIG NEED.

btw... De La Rose is a hitter too (32 hits in 10 games). We're getting ready for playoffs hockey !

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Big step in the right direction. Wait until this guy makes the end boards rumble at the BC and then comes up huge in the playoffs.

And he's 22!

Now they just need to get rid of the ballerina music when the Habs hit this ice and make this place hell for other teams.

Just like how Laraque would make other scared to take advantage of our players. Why don't you wait till you see him play, for all we know he could think his sklill is first line and that he no longer feels the need to hit to stay in the lineup.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Jiri Sekac has NEVER, at ANY LEVEL, shown that he's a goal scorer...not even in the KHL last year when some NHL teams were interested in signing him as a free agent

Jiri Sekac is an idea that Habs fans have convinced themselves of, but nothing I've seen on the ice equates to that idea.

Again...he's more Jan Bulis' than anything else

Redundant on the Habs.

He was 2nd for goal and points on his KHL team last year.
The guy was doing fine for his rookie's season in NA, no thanks to Therrien.
I mean yeah, the guy is a burst if you expected him to be the next Selane. :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Prust/Eller are most likely the worst puck distributor on the team.
Most people knew nothing about Sekac while DSP was being covered back to his JR days.

Thomas takes shots from downtown i feel he's a closet basketball player.

Come on man..Sekac averaged almost 14mins of icetime per game

How can that explain 56 shots on goal in 50 games? For a supposed "25 goal scorer"???

68*

Berg is building this team for the playoffs. PAP and DD are next. C'mon Berg!

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Smith Pelly coming in is still a rookie in NHL games....

Remember Max Pac's first 86 games? 26 points...then look at him now

Smith Pelly 129 NHL games.....40 pts......next few years let's watch him develop.... mark my words it's a big win for Habs...

We got a 225lb power forward that throws 250+ hits a year, likely seats in on the top 6 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad