Confirmed with Link: Jiri Sekac traded for Devante Smith-Pelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
Eller has been playing in the NHL for multiple years without any progression.

It's Sekac's first year ffs... I'm not saying he is 100% going to be a star, but he clearly has the potential and it would've been worth it to hold on him longer.

Actually, I think Sekac has the same upside than Eller, which is not that high. I always saw him as a good puck-possession 3rd liner, nothing more. I don't know why some habs fans believed he was an untouchable player, like Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. The problem with Sekac is his hands. He can't deke around NHL defender. It will hurt his offensive production. It already did. And if you look through his history, he never was a offensive dynamo. It's logical to think that he will not be an offensive player in the NHL. People should look at tendencie over small samples. And they should put abilities and production in differents categories. You can be fast, strong, big, good on the cycle AND not being an offensive player.

Also, let's not forget another young man, DLR. I know he's a center. He will be as good on the cycle and for puck possession, and he will be faster and more physical. DLR will not be a offensive player, but the other thing he brings are better. Everybody thought that DLR will make Eller obsolete, but looks like it was Sekac.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I see this deal in a similar light to when MB got Weise. He traded for an undervalued asset on another team.

I think this trade has more to do with DSP's 27 goals in 55 games last year in the AHL than his hit numbers. MB has said many times that he's not a huge fan of hits on their own. Maybe he sees him as a guy that can play physical and score some dirty goals from in tight much like Simmonds does in Phillie.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Isn't there a thread where you guys can go moan and cry about Therrien?

Would be nice to see/read more about this guy and talk about the trade and not have to filter through the garbage cry me a river rethoric.

If this trade wasn't directly related to Therrien's questionable use of Sekac, you'd have a point.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
and at best, let's say he meets the rosiest of predictions, what does he bring ? another aphysical perimeter player who gets easily neutralized when the going gets tough.

This isnt the draft, you can ALWAYS go with the BPA. Teams that have obvious, exploitable vulnerabilities dont often go far in the playoffs. We NEED to be better rounded and have some physical presence for the playoffs. We get this with DSP.

I'm all for GM's addressing the teams needs instead of trying to beleive that guys with cetain talent sets can magically transform these into completely different skill sets ( like your idea of sekac being a net presence) because they have "skills".

Where does this come from, guy was banging at the beginning of the season..then he got benched. Coincidence?

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Actually, I think Sekac has the same upside than Eller, which is not that high. I always saw him as a good puck-possession 3rd liner, nothing more. I don't know why some habs fans believed he was an untouchable player, like Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. The problem with Sekac is his hands. He can't deke around NHL defender. It will hurt his offensive production. It already did. And if you look through his history, he never was a offensive dynamo. It's logical to think that he will not be an offensive player in the NHL. People should look at tendencie over small samples. And they should put abilities and production in differents categories. You can be fast, strong, big, good on the cycle AND not being an offensive player.

Also, let's not forget another young man, DLR. I know he's a center. He will be as good on the cycle and for puck possession, and he will be faster and more physical. DLR will not be a offensive player, but the other thing he brings are better. Everybody thought that DLR will make Eller obsolete, but looks like it was Sekac.

Sekac didn't produce here because he wasn't put with Desharnais.

:sarcasm:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He was 2nd for goal and points on his KHL team last year.
The guy was doing fine for his rookie's season in NA, no thanks to Therrien.
I mean yeah, the guy is a burst if you expected him to be the next Selane. :sarcasm:

How is it Therrien's fault that he went in the ******* the last 2 months? You're massively overplaying the coach's role in player performance. Coaches have defensive systems and some structure on the PP, not a lot of systems dictate what decisions you make with the puck in the offensive zone.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
I see this deal in a similar light to when MB got Weise. He traded for an undervalued asset on another team.

I think this trade has more to do with DSP's 27 goals in 55 games last year in the AHL than his hit numbers. MB has said many times that he's not a huge fan of hits on their own. Maybe he sees him as a guy that can play physical and score some dirty goals from in tight much like Simmonds does in Phillie.

Well his last couple goals with the Ducks were the result of him going to the front of net, something maybe Brendan Gallagher won't have to do as much now

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Sekac is so fit and strong on the puck and defensively.

Now we will have to watch PAP sucking wind after 20 seconds on the ice.

that xbox thing is suspect, Tony got punked by Pleks.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Where does this come from, guy was banging at the beginning of the season..then he got benched. Coincidence?

if you think he's a physical presence, I think I can understand your inability to properly evaluate his relative talents. so now we have guys claiming he's a " banger" and another who suggests that he was willing to go to the dirty parts of the ice and stay there, but was prevented from doing so by MT.

Another guy who spends most of his time along the boards not scoring. its a freaking baker's dozen on the habs.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Prust/Eller are most likely the worst puck distributor on the team.

Most people knew nothing about Sekac while DSP was being covered back to his JR days.

Thomas takes shots from downtown i feel he's a closet basketball player.

Thomas spends most of his time with Malhotra and Bournival. I think I'd rather have Prust and Eller as distributors :laugh:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
it would be nice to see less bashing. we can be happy to get DSP without having to bash Sekac, you know?
Exactly. Every player that gets traded out of town isn't a problem in the locker room, a bad player, or constantly has rifts with teammates. Sometimes you need to give up something good to get something good, and that's the case here.

This move reminds me a lot of Hodgson for Kassian, just in terms of the "tremendously skilled guy with good upside" being traded for the "physical crash-and-banger that has offensive potential, but fills a need for now."

Not comparing Hodgson to Sekac or Kassian to DSP, just the trade itself.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
if you think he's a physical presence, I think I can understand your inability to properly evaluate his relative talents. so now we have guys claiming he's a " banger" and another who suggests that he was willing to go to the dirty parts of the ice and stay there, but was prevented from doing so by MT.

Another guy who spends most of his time along the boards not scoring. its a freaking baker's dozen on the habs.

Lol Sekac isn't even 180 lbs but apparently was a 'banger' and a physical presence... Riiiiight.

on hockeydb : Weight 174

LOL That is very skinny for a 6' guy.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Exactly. Every player that gets traded out of town isn't a problem in the locker room, a bad player, or constantly have rifts with teammates. Sometimes you need to give up something good to get something good, and that's the case here.

I agree and I think he will be much better in anaheim than he was here. I wish him well but I am happy we have finally addressed a need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad