Confirmed with Link: Jiri Sekac traded for Devante Smith-Pelly Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yeah...perhaps that says more about Jiri Sekac's time here, than it does anything else???

You ever consider the possibility that he might not be as good as you think he is?

BUt his post was in direct relation to "but he got plenty of chances to shine" comment. Now, as far as your point that he didn't deserve anything 'cause he ain't that good to begin with....well that needs to be seen. Not saying you are wrong. I don't agree.....but we just don't know. My comment....I would have liked to know. I've been called for being way too impatient and regularly jumping the gun...now I don't want to do it...it's also wrong? I should have known that he wouldn't be any good in such a short period of time?

HabsDieHard*

Sure he would have particularly in his rookie year...:shakehead

To be fair, Pacioretty has produced extensively with Desharnais on his line.

Although I'm not really sure what one of the top point producers at even strength in the NHL has to do with a discussion about Sekac.

OV could probably score 30 goals on a line with Malhotra and Bournival, does that mean that every scorer in the NHL could do the same?

Does it have any relevance to any discussion of any kind?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
They traded him, for a player the exact same age...

You act like they just released him and let him walk away

a little context here

Yeah, as if context stops posters from judging other posters. I would have said to "trade him right ****ing now", and I would have been told to shut up. That it's way too early to move on from him. Nobody would have asked me "For who?".

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Would anyone complain if we moved Parenteau for a 3rd liner with size and draft pedigree? Probably not, and it's not because Parenteau can't score goals. It's because he doesn't fit with the team per the coach.

Not much different here. We all love Sekac, but what's the point of having him on the team if he's not going to get his chance and is only miserable. I'm happy for him that he gets to go play somehwere he'll enjoy himself more.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And you know very well why he was playing on that line at that specific moment, with Galchenyuk out and Eller struggling atm not sure if that count as placing the kid in a position to succeed.

What about:
Pacioretty-DD-Sekac
Galchenyuk-Plek-Sekac
Pacioretty-Galch-Sekac
Pacioretty-Plek-Sekac
Sekac-Plek-Galch
Sekac-Plek-Gally
A few time during the year? A couple shifts or a full game here and there over ~50 games, no harm done, right?

So he DID get a chance right???

I don't understand, what does the coaching staff owe to Sekac other than a chance, even a period??

I don't get it...you all complain he wasn't given a shot, yet he there he was playing with Plekanec (our teams best center if you ask many here) + Eller and he did absolutely NOTHING with that chance.

Meanwhile, Galchenyuk comes back 2 games later and pots 2 goals + 1 assist the very game back playing with both of those players

This is the NHL...and fair or not fair, for Jiri Sekac...he needs to realize that his chance might be just a very small chance. But he has to seize it

So far...he has not.

HabsDieHard*

BUt his post was in direct relation to "but he got plenty of chances to shine" comment. Now, as far as your point that he didn't deserve anything 'cause he ain't that good to begin with....well that needs to be seen. Not saying you are wrong. I don't agree.....but we just don't know. My comment....I would have liked to know. I've been called for being way too impatient and regularly jumping the gun...now I don't want to do it...it's also wrong? I should have known that he wouldn't be any good in such a short period of time?

Notice the goal posts moved on 417's argument after I showed his claim to be false?

One second he's claiming Sekac had plenty of chances.

The next, he's claiming Sekac didn't get chances for a reason.

HabsDieHard*

Sekac

"I was playing a lot of defensive zone faceoffs, and it doesn't seem like that, but it sucks a lot of energy out of you, then when you want to put energy into offense, you don't have any left."

http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/03/04/sekac-lance-des-fleches-a-therrien

Ungrateful little pissant! Montreal gives him a chance and he treats them like that?

I'm glad the punk is gone.

And then us fans wonder why every experienced NHL'er gives the most cliched and meaningless responses to every question ever asked...

:)

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Well the coach did try...maybe not nearly enough to everyone's liking here, or Sekac's liking

But he's not obliged to either

Not sure why you're trying to play the devils advocate here. Sekac is a good promising player that didn't get enough chance to prove himself on the top 6. How can you even deny that?

You might not like Sekac, but the way you denigrate him just doesn't make sense. He might or might not become good, who knows. But he has the complete package and it would've been worth it to at least hold on to him longer and play him in offensive situations.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So he DID get a chance right???

I don't understand, what does the coaching staff owe to Sekac other than a chance, even a period??

I don't get it...you all complain he wasn't given a shot, yet he there he was playing with Plekanec (our teams best center if you ask many here) + Eller and he did absolutely NOTHING with that chance.

Meanwhile, Galchenyuk comes back 2 games later and pots 2 goals + 1 assist the very game back playing with both of those players

This is the NHL...and fair or not fair, for Jiri Sekac...he needs to realize that his chance might be just a very small chance. But he has to seize it

So far...he has not.

But you are talking as if we're talking about Bourque or Parenteau here. Sekac is a NHL rookie. How about some patience? Why some players can go into a shootout to get their game going....and why are the others just not good enough so that they don't deserve to in shootouts?

Geez, who cares anyway about production...Ghetto SEIZED the chance to produce when he was with Plekanec and....wasn't seen since then.

HabsDieHard*

That perhaps he wasn't deserving of more icetime with better linemates

You claimed several posts ago that he was given ample chances and did nothing with them.

Which one is it?

Because it can't be both.

Though I cannot WAIT for you to try to argue otherwise :)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Notice the goal posts moved on 417's argument after I showed his claim to be false?

One second he's claiming Sekac had plenty of chances.

The next, he's claiming Sekac didn't get chances for a reason.

Nothing changed at all...

I think he got plenty of chances, my definition of what a 'chance' or opportunity for a player of Sekac's ilk, differs than what it means for you or Whitesnake I guess

So using YOUR definition of what an opportunity (what amounts to 82 games playing in the top 6 apparently) I guess he didn't get much of a chance

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He is listed at 220 on nhl.com and on the canadiens' website. That's as reliable a source you can find. As the season progresses, players tend to lose weight, not gain some. So if anything, he's under that number not over it.

So you're going by hearsay to form your opinion? Do you know Dube's standards for muscle definition? Is he comparing him to Eller who's a pretty ripped guy?
I'm not questioning DSP's conditioning. Therrien said he needed to work on it, so it's obviously not up to the coach's standards. I just disagree with your notion that any hockey player that is 6'0 225# isn't in shape. That's just not true.

I'm not saying he's doing those things, I just pointed to them as a possible ''cause'' that isn't weight related because to you it's as simple as looking at size, which is ridiculous.

It might be reliable but player stats are not always 100% accurate or up to date they occasionnally biff up the STAT ex:they will have a guy that 5'11 at 6', or guy that 174lbs will be listed a 185lbs, Byfuglien was above 270Lbs at some point but never liste as such... Yes most player loss weight during the season but doesn't mean that a players can't put on weight. So your making the assumtion that he is currently 220lbs or below just has I'm assuming that he is over 225.

My opinion was base on seeing footage of him getting off team bus (than again camera add 10lbs perception can be mis-leading), and the fact that is face seem to have extra baby fat, when you put on weight it usual shows in your face, he gave most interview wearing a full sleeve shirt... no I can't tell with certainty how ripped he his. I didn't think my perception or that my face fat theory (subjective) would have been good enough for you, but if reliable journalists, and a guy like Dube making public comments (weight and about is lack of definition), it might be second hand but hearsay... comments weren't made by ramdom unknowed guy I know, I tend to think my judgement might be somewhat founded.
FYI Eller is NHL player so he could be a comparable, I don't know Dube standards but I'm sure that the guys making the comments see a lot of NHL players and when they make a comments they don't use the most ripped guy as the only standard and they wouldn't even bring it up unless it was issue or clearly visible...

Well I guess will agree on something since I never said that any player that 6' 225Lbs isn't/could be in shape or that weight was the only fator, I even said that you can be ripped and out shape... But their a should be a difference between a ripped 225lbs and a fat 225Lbs and great chance are that if your a fat 225Lbs you are not in optimal condition...

I just don't think that I'm making up wild allegation or see thing as ridiculously clear cut black or white, like you seem to imply I do... I guess will have to agree to disagree since I can't prove my opnion (even if most reports seem to go in the same direction) and you won't be able to prove you're...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure why you're trying to play the devils advocate here. Sekac is a good promising player that didn't get enough chance to prove himself on the top 6. How can you even deny that?

You might not like Sekac, but the way you denigrate him just doesn't make sense. He might or might not become good, who knows. But he has the complete package and it would've been worth it to at least hold on to him longer and play him in offensive situations.

That's why it 'seems' like I denigrate him

Cause I find comments like "he has the complete package" completely ridiculous (hey Whitesnake, you were wondering where I took those comments from...there's exhibit A)

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
That's why it 'seems' like I denigrate him

Cause I find comments like "he has the complete package" completely ridiculous (hey Whitesnake, you were wondering where I took those comments from...there's exhibit A)

It's not ridiculous... I didn't call him the greatest hockey player of all time, neither did I say he was a 80 pts player or a 30 goals scorer...

I said he has a complete package, which he does have.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
My scouting is by no means infallible, but I don't see Sekac being a consistent goal scorer at the NHL level, and nowhere in his history does it suggest he'll ever be a goal scorer of any repute. His skill level right away caught my eye..but the closer I looked the less impressed I became with several parts of his game. I get the feeling he'll score a few highlight reel goals each season and keep people wanting more. We shall see.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
My scouting is by no means infallible, but I don't see Sekac being a consistent goal scorer at the NHL level, and nowhere in his history does it suggest he'll ever be a goal scorer of any repute. His skill level right away caught my eye..but the closer I looked the less impressed I became with several parts of his game. I get the feeling he'll score a few highlight reel goals each season and keep people wanting more. We shall see.

I do believe Sekac will become an underwhelming player, but that doesn't mean we needed to trade him away this soon without even scratching the surface of his potential.

HabsDieHard*

nothing changed at all...

I think he got plenty of chances, my definition of what a 'chance' or opportunity for a player of sekac's ilk, differs than what it means for you or whitesnake i guess

so using your definition of what an opportunity (what amounts to 82 games playing in the top 6 apparently) i guess he didn't get much of a chance

move!

Those!

Goalposts!!!!

HabsDieHard*

Go and compare his best season in the USHL to Paciorettys' best season in the USHL.

Then tell us again about how Sekac will never be a consistent goal scorer at the NHL level.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But you are talking as if we're talking about Bourque or Parenteau here. Sekac is a NHL rookie. How about some patience? Why some players can go into a shootout to get their game going....and why are the others just not good enough so that they don't deserve to in shootouts?

Geez, who cares anyway about production...Ghetto SEIZED the chance to produce when he was with Plekanec and....wasn't seen since then.

Yes Sekac is an NHL rookie who was traded for another NHL rookie

So what??

HabsDieHard*

Sekac played in the USHL?

Yup.

He was a year older that season than Pacioretty was in his season.

So it's not a perfect comparison.

But then it was also the first time other than 8 OHL games Sekac had played North American hockey, so it probably is pretty fair.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's not ridiculous... I didn't call him the greatest hockey player of all time, neither did I say he was a 80 pts player or a 30 goals scorer...

I said he has a complete package, which he does have.

Well I guess our definition of a complete package is entirely different

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Agreed 100%...i had the same evaluation of Sekac

Was very impressed in preseason and in October/November

But then that started to fade for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad