Confirmed with Link: Jiri Sekac traded for Devante Smith-Pelly Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnhabs

Mar 8, 2014
Turku, Finland
Phew....

Oh man this board has soooo many "hockey experts" givin their input on the trade without even knowing who the Smith-Pelly is. They dont know which side he shoots, which side he plays, askin if he can skate and yet they are givin comments about him like they have seen him play all along...i mean REALLY? This board is so pathetic, like 80% of you should just downright delete your profiles :shakehead...

People givin marks that DSP was playin on the topline in Anaheim and not producing and Sekac wasnt given a chance, wake the **** up! DSP was playin in his OFFwing in the topline which he has said he isnt that comfortable in it, Perry is a RW in Anaheim! Also like someone has noticed and said it in here(thank god!) Sekac is a LW who isnt either comfortable in playin on the offwing. And thats why wasnt given a chance to play in the top 2 lines cause of stocked LW position in the Habs by Patches and Chucky.

This was a pure hockey trade like Bergy already addressed yesterday. Both teams got somethin that they were missin(Anaheim was missin probable top2 LW and Habs probable top2 RW) and got rid of somethin that didnt have a place in the system cause of the team structure and stacked positions. Imho this was a great trade by Bergy, still a lil jump into the unknown(by BOTH teams) but a great trade all in all.

top two lines will be

Patches-DD-DSP/Gally
Chucky-Pleks-DSP/Gally

if not in the next game, in the few comin games they will.

So stop the cryin already!!!

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
The moment I heard Sekac was traded I hated it. After watching last night's game and realising what playoff hockey is all about I like it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
since December 29th, the game where Jiri Sekac scored his last goal...he's played 21 games

21 games 0 goals 2 assists 25 shots on goal (including a stretch of 6 games with ZERO shots)

Now I know, you guys are going to point out that he was playing in a bottom 6 role with Lars Eller and Brandon Prust

That's still no excuse for what's supposed to be a 'highly skilled/high potential offensive player'.

I don't understand how anyone could justify that he should of got MORE icetime given how he was playing with so little responsibility

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Not to mention he is averaging under a hit per game.

Not hitting, not shooting, not getting assist. But he sure did skate fast and hold onto the puck well.......CORSI!

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

Not hitting, not shooting, not getting assist. But he sure did skate fast and hold onto the puck well.......CORSI!

It's all about CORSI!

Sekac and Eller, CORSI superstar!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The goals & assists I care less about...

But if you're an offensive player, and you're playing on a 3rd line and you think you deserve more icetime in the top 6. You're going to have to do way better than 25 shots on goal in 21 games

Instead, all I saw was a player who did the same thing everytime he had the puck...skate line the wind through the neutral zone, beat the dman wide, go behind the net, to the other opposite side and send a pass back to the Dmen for a point shot.

It's a shame, because I recall on 2 occasions where he dared to actually cut to the net, and it resulted in goals both times.

Finnhabs

Mar 8, 2014
Turku, Finland

I have always loved the pughogs in my team, holdinholdinholdin...lost.
You know, in the team game the puck/ball/insertwhatever should do the work of movin and people without it. Not vice versa ;). Thats how you create opportunities.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
It's funny how when we acquired Sekac people were raving about his two-way game, talking about how he was nominated for the KHL Selke, and now he has become a "pure offensive" guy.

How about he's a 22 year old rookie who is being criticized for not producing from the bottom 6 on a team that struggles to score goals in general and who's bottom 6 just doesn't produce at all.
I love Jiri Sekac. I will be cheering like heck for him in Anaheim as I've always liked watching Anaheim play. Not to mention, I have him in my keepers league, so I'm salivating at the thought of him clicking with Getzlaf and Perry.

I'm not criticizing him, just saying that he had to show more willingness to change his game to a more north amercian style, to stick here in MTL. His skill will shine through regardless, but to play on the Habs you have to be more complete.

He is going to the perfect place though, to learn from Getzlaf, Kesler and Perry how to be a real 2-way power forward.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Ducks fan coming in peace. I am sure this question has been asked, but who does Sekac compare to stylistically? What is his upside potential and worst case scenario? Thank you!

For what it's worth I like DSP - my concern with him is the game he plays today does not show progression from his game 4 years ago. That is not to say he is not effective, just that he seemed to plateau a bit, but a new role and a new club might be just the catalyst he needs to take another step forward. Also, I am not convinced he is a playoff performer - he had a great series against the kings due to a few timely goals, but otherwise was average. His game should translate well to playoff hockey - but at this point the sample size is just too small to have a strong opinion either way.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Eller is supposed to have offensive potential too it's not like he was playing with scrubs either.

Galchenyuk and Gallagher did pretty well with Prust at their beginning too. He was not playing on a line that was just a defensive line.

Like others said... The deal as more to do with the type of player than the players themselves.

Same age and i 'd argue same potential.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

But if you're an offensive player, and you're playing on a 3rd line and you think you deserve more icetime in the top 6. You're going to have to do way better than 25 shots on goal in 21 games

Instead, all I saw was a player who did the same thing everytime he had the puck...skate line the wind through the neutral zone, beat the dman wide, go behind the net, to the other opposite side and send a pass back to the Dmen for a point shot.

It's a shame, because I recall on 2 occasions where he dared to actually cut to the net, and it resulted in goals both times.

Which is, of course, totally unlike what the other two players on his line (the veterans he's apparently learning from) do on a regular basis, right? He played mostly with two of the players who are the absolute worst at distributing the puck on our team (Prust/Eller), so was Sekac supposed to do all the work for them? I mean, he tried, but I dunno about those kind of expectations...

At least he didn't start emulating the Eller "carry the puck into the offensive zone, just to chip it to their defenseman in the corner or lose it cutting across the zone and directly feed transition chances". He maintained possession of the puck better than BOTH guys he played with, and I thought it was blatantly obvious.

But the problem is at the very beginning with the premise of him being "an offensive player". He was seemingly expected to be Tomas Plekanec from day 1 - i.e. able to get results against any opposition with 2-way play. I can understand how he looked at his linemates one day to the next and was left wondering what was ACTUALLY expected of him at any time - especially when he produced with good players and was then sat in the pressbox like he was a threat to something. Play the body as much as Eller, and block as many shots, instead? Still not doing it right, rookie.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
since December 29th, the game where Jiri Sekac scored his last goal...he's played 21 games

21 games 0 goals 2 assists 25 shots on goal (including a stretch of 6 games with ZERO shots)

Now I know, you guys are going to point out that he was playing in a bottom 6 role with Lars Eller and Brandon Prust

That's still no excuse for what's supposed to be a 'highly skilled/high potential offensive player'.

I don't understand how anyone could justify that he should of got MORE icetime given how he was playing with so little responsibility

Because they did all the effort to get him and I would think that it was to play in some offensive responsabilities. Then, Therrien has proved that to get some people out of their funk.....he gives them MORE responsabilities and put them in situations to succeed. See DD. And now, you could even see Eller. What did Eller do to be put on a 2nd line? What did Eller do more than Sekac as they were sucking equally together. And as opportunistic as Weise is, he had proven in the bottom lines that he deserved to be put on an offensive line? We automatically found that it was a great idea when he was put there? Or AFTER HE WAS PUT ON THAT LINE, we said that it was probably then a good idea for the time being? Why couldn't all this happen to Sekac? Because we've already determined that he was not a lazy player. So because he has more trouble defensively? Are everybody perfect in that lineup? His performance prior to his 7-game rest was really deserving to sit out 7 games in a row?

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Ducks fan coming in peace. I am sure this question has been asked, but who does Sekac compare to stylistically? What is his upside potential and worst case scenario? Thank you!

For what it's worth I like DSP - my concern with him is the game he plays today does not show progression from his game 4 years ago. That is not to say he is not effective, just that he seemed to plateau a bit, but a new role and a new club might be just the catalyst he needs to take another step forward. Also, I am not convinced he is a playoff performer - he had a great series against the kings due to a few timely goals, but otherwise was average. His game should translate well to playoff hockey - but at this point the sample size is just too small to have a strong opinion either way.
I'm not sure if I can compare him to someone stylistically, but his upside is definitely a top 6 forward. He's scored some nice goals this year and he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas. He's always first on pucks on the forecheck as well.

Worst case scenario, he's a third line winger. But he definitely belongs in the league.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Phew....

Oh man this board has soooo many "hockey experts" givin their input on the trade without even knowing who the Smith-Pelly is. They dont know which side he shoots, which side he plays, askin if he can skate and yet they are givin comments about him like they have seen him play all along...i mean REALLY? This board is so pathetic, like 80% of you should just downright delete your profiles :shakehead...

People givin marks that DSP was playin on the topline in Anaheim and not producing and Sekac wasnt given a chance, wake the **** up! DSP was playin in his OFFwing in the topline which he has said he isnt that comfortable in it, Perry is a RW in Anaheim! Also like someone has noticed and said it in here(thank god!) Sekac is a LW who isnt either comfortable in playin on the offwing. And thats why wasnt given a chance to play in the top 2 lines cause of stocked LW position in the Habs by Patches and Chucky.

This was a pure hockey trade like Bergy already addressed yesterday. Both teams got somethin that they were missin(Anaheim was missin probable top2 LW and Habs probable top2 RW) and got rid of somethin that didnt have a place in the system cause of the team structure and stacked positions. Imho this was a great trade by Bergy, still a lil jump into the unknown(by BOTH teams) but a great trade all in all.

top two lines will be

Patches-DD-DSP/Gally
Chucky-Pleks-DSP/Gally

if not in the next game, in the few comin games they will.

So stop the cryin already!!!

I so wholeheartedly agree.

I keep saying what's bolded, in different wordings, in different posts, all over the HFboards (main board, Ducks board, Habs board), still seeing comments like 'But he didn't get a chance...'. WTH.

People play too much NHL15 where you can put a defenseman at center and put a LW at RW and players won't even break a sweat.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
I so wholeheartedly agree.

I keep saying what's bolded, in different wordings, in different posts, all over the HFboards (main board, Ducks board, Habs board), still seeing comments like 'But he didn't get a chance...'. WTH.

People play too much NHL15 where you can put a defenseman at center and put a LW at RW and players won't even break a sweat.

NEVER put a defenseman as a center in NHL15. He will lose most of the faceoffs.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
NEVER put a defenseman as a center in NHL15. He will lose most of the faceoffs.

lmao not that I do that, but hey, my favorite player is Subban so I play him wherever I want okay ?!

I also switched Sekac to the RW position and he did as good as when I put him on LW, so I have EVIDENCE that he should've been playing on the top line instead of Weise.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

And I can't believe how anybody would argue that DD should play with our two best wingers when he has 1 assist in 19gp, but there he was, getting that opportunity.
Weise was playing like crap and he got promoted on the top 6 this year too.

You're talking about a rookie free agent coming from Europe and he's playing on a defensive team that is bottom tier for both shots and goals for.
Furthermore, he's playing with two veterans that are producing as little as he is, on a defensive line getting very little offensive opportunities.

Also, you keep looking at the individual. What about the coach or management??
You just signed this player that was being approached by half the league. You signed him because you think he's a good offensive prospect and two way player.
Your idea of developing his offensive game is to put him on the 3rd line with little offensive opportunities??
Wow...I'm so surprised it didn't quite work out. If only he could have produced on the 4th or 3rd line without PP time and little off.zone starts like DD did after being invisible in his first 19 games...Right?

Finnhabs

Mar 8, 2014
Turku, Finland
"Originally Posted by Andy
It's funny how when we acquired Sekac people were raving about his two-way game, talking about how he was nominated for the KHL Selke, and now he has become a "pure offensive" guy."

Nominated for KHL Selke.....where people come up with this kind of s***??? There isnt even such award in KHL....:shakehead

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

That's literally our system. Sekac was executing our system. He didn't lose the puck because he's not a weakling like DD or a smurf like the rest of our forwards.

I'm ok with the trade now but DSP's ceiling is lower than Sekac's and that difference is what most upset me. With Therrien as the coach, DSP will help us win the cup this year more than Sekac will so it's a net positive.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The long term evolution of Sekac and what he may develop into concerns me. What I mean is..he was deemed not good enough to draft a few seasons ago. He worked his tail off on his game and had a solid season in the KHL last year. He has improved by leaps and bounds in a short time. What is his upside? I believe offensively he will be superior to DSP but players like DSP are needed on a championship team.

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013

Can't think of a comparision off the top of my head, but he's really fast, good on the forecheck, hard working, can keep the puck on his stick effectively, and has some high end skill. Not overly physical, and still getting used to the NA game. I'd say he's a great fit on the perry/getzlaf line.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
The long term evolution of Sekac and what he may develop into concerns me. What I mean is..he was deemed not good enough to draft a few seasons ago. He worked his tail off on his game and had a solid season in the KHL last year. He has improved by leaps and bounds in a short time. What is his upside? I believe offensively he will be superior to DSP but players like DSP are needed on a championship team.

All about needs. It's quite possible that over time Sekac outproduces DSP, but even if that were to happen it wouldn't necessarily mean the Habs lost the trade.

If the trade helps Montreal get to the SCF this year for example it's already won imo. And the great news is that it's not a rental and it's not a washed up vet we're talking about here. This kid has real potential to become a power forward.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Other than the pre-season and the stretch of games after being sat 7 games I wasn't overly impressed with Sekac.

He's still a solid player but I see him becoming more of a 40 point player who has a lot of skills but doesn't have great hockey sense. Could care less if Sekac ends up having the better career, we need a guy with DSP's physicality and willingness to score the dirty goals a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad