Rumor: Jiri Hudler could sign this week, Canucks are in the mix

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
At this point in their careers, I think the Sedins would be great 2nd liners on a contending team. On a dumpster fire like Vancouver, they are 1st liners by default.

In their prime though they were elite 1st liners. Too bad they couldn't have won the cup in 2011. A career with an Art Ross, Hart, and Cup would have been pretty impressive.

Anyway, Hudler to Van is a dumb idea. Very Benning-ish.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
I want the Oilers to sign him as well . Good 3rd liner . I want Puljujarvi in the AHL . No need to rush the kid . Let Yakupov play in the top 6 and hope he comes around if not at lease you develop Pulju right and have him step in when ready .

Lucic McD Eberle/Yakupov

Maroon RNH Hudler , tough minutes to shelter the kids more of a 3rd line

Pouliot Draisaitl Yakupov/Eberle soft minutes

I agree about Puljujarvi in the minors but Pouliot is MUCH better than Maroon.

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Hudler
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yakupov

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Benning claims he's in the market for a big, physical winger, who can score 20 or so, and can give his team second-line minutes.....So tell me again, how does Hudler fit that description?

Maybe since that ideal player isn't available you settle for the one that is. Hudler still helps the Nucks win games, and at very least maybe it frees up assets to trade for that ideal player

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Benning claims he's in the market for a big, physical winger, who can score 20 or so, and can give his team second-line minutes.....So tell me again, how does Hudler fit that description?

Maybe since that ideal player isn't available you settle for the one that is. Hudler still helps the Nucks win games, and at very least maybe it frees up assets to trade for that ideal player

I wouldn't be so sure he's not available, but Buffalo isn't going to give Evander Kane away. ;)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I wouldn't be so sure he's not available, but Buffalo isn't going to give Evander Kane away. ;)

Honestly, I think if they were going to get him, he would've been here by now. When Benning wants a guy he tends to get them quickly, even at the expense of overextending.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Unless we're talking trade, Hudler is easily the closest you'll get to that. There aren't any big physical free agents left who can play top 6. And even if we're talking trade, a big, physical, 20+ goal, top 6 guy won't come cheap. The package required likely means losing a forward, which would still open up a spot for Hudler

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
If you want to take the overall speed down of one line and make it softer then Hudler is your man

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Hudler costs you nothing. Big 20 goal scorers will cost you assets.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
How many 'big, physical wingers that can score 20 goals' are even in th league, let alone available?
It took the Oilers like 5 years to get Lucic after announcing that particular criteria.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Canucks trying to build the softest top 6 in history...

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Sutter - Hudler

sheesh

Doesn't matter how soft it is as long as you can make the other team pay for their aggressiveness on the PP. The issue is when you're soft as **** and your PP sucks so you can't even punish them there. That is when you'll run into issues.

I mean look at Pittsburgh - they had all of 3 players who one (if they're being generous) would not call soft players. Ian Cole, Ben Lovejoy and Eric Fehr. But none other than perhaps Cole (if they're being generous) would someone say they're hard to play against. And PIT just had a very dominate run to the cup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
At this point in their careers, I think the Sedins would be great 2nd liners on a contending team. On a dumpster fire like Vancouver, they are 1st liners by default.

In their prime though they were elite 1st liners. Too bad they couldn't have won the cup in 2011. A career with an Art Ross, Hart, and Cup would have been pretty impressive.

Anyway, Hudler to Van is a dumb idea. Very Benning-ish.

They're still 1st line players in their own right. However they're getting older and likely would be better suited as 2nd line guys on a contending team. However given what they earn, their NMCs and the likelyhood of them actually allowing Vancouver to trade them somewhere else, and Vancouver is probably better suited to try and give them the best supporting cast that they can. And a skilled player like Hudler does that for them.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Unless we're talking trade, Hudler is easily the closest you'll get to that. There aren't any big physical free agents left who can play top 6. And even if we're talking trade, a big, physical, 20+ goal, top 6 guy won't come cheap. The package required likely means losing a forward, which would still open up a spot for Hudler

Kunitz isn't exactly big, but he's still physical and a boarder line top 6 guy and I'm sure Pittsburgh would trade him cheap - at least they would if it was up to the fans lol.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
We have more than our share of undersized forwards, Hudler wouldn't have changed that, sadly.

Agreed and Holland wanted to bring in bigger bodies any ways, Just think that Hudler would put up more points then Vanek right now. But i've a strong feeling that Vanek will do very well this year. He's going to want to prove that he still belongs in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad