Rumor: Jiri Hudler could sign this week, Canucks are in the mix

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Hudler to Europe

Just wondering how much of a possibility this is.

He's left before, still has no team, and Kris Versteeg already made the jump.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't see it happening, and while he has left before, it was during the lockouts. A lot of guys went to Europe during the lockouts.

SpookyHockey

Feb 11, 2010
I don't see it happening, and while he has left before, it was during the lockouts. A lot of guys went to Europe during the lockouts.

He left once when the NHL wasn't in the lockout. Played for Moscow Dynamo in the KHL in 2009-10 before returning to the Red Wings.

I could see him heading back to the KHL, but I think he waits to see if he gets a PTO.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
He left once when the NHL wasn't in the lockout. Played for Moscow Dynamo in the KHL in 2009-10 before returning to the Red Wings.

I could see him heading back to the KHL, but I think he waits to see if he gets a PTO.

Oh, I missed that. Contract dispute?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if he left. There's not a whole lot of cap space left to go around and at this point, he's probably not getting more than PTO's or 1y/1-2M offers. He could likely get more in the KHL if he wanted to go.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I've talked about this on the Pens board. What I believe he should do is look to a contender for a cheap 1yr deal who can also put him in a position to inflate his worth for a year.

For example, say he goes to the Penguins for 1yr for $1mil. Is he worth more? Absolutely. But with the impending expansion draft and so many teams being so close to the cap right now, his bet bet (in my opinion) is to look to next years free agency class. Inevitably, a couple teams will lose a top 6 forward. Those teams will need to replace that and boom, there Hudler will be. He will likely get a much higher salary and term next off season than he could ever hope for this off season.

Like I said, say he goes to Pittsburgh and signs cheap under the understanding that the Pens want him on Malkin's RW. He's now playing for a contract next year and has a tremendous opportunity to inflate his stats while playing with Malkin (example, Jussi Jokinen - goes from waived then salary retained player in Carolina to Pit then to Flordia for a 4x4 contract). In the process, he also gets his mostly like best chance at a cup in his career.

So you take less for one year, bummer, but you'll make up for it on your next contract. Going to Europe, the KHL, etc will not do anything for his NHL career. He could also wait it out and try to get a cheap half year deal if there's an injury but again, that doesn't help his negotiating abilities for next off season after the expansion draft and entry draft make things a little clearer.

IMHO, the smart man does that. Play checkers and look for $$$ and term on a non-contender or go to Europe or play chess and sign with the Penguins for cheap.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Just wondering how much of a possibility this is.

He's left before, still has no team, and Kris Versteeg already made the jump.

He s a winger as is Vesey...I think that is part of the hold up with him. a few teams might have been talking to him but want to wait till after Vesey decides.

If Buffalo doesn't get him they might give Hudler a low 1 yr deal.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

No it wasn't, When Hudler took Detroit to arbitration and then bailed on them. There wasn't any lockout that year the lockout was a few year later that was the 2009/10 season and that was a full season.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
If that's really the case, do you really think he couldn't have earned 4m+ in the KHL the last how many years?

No I don't think he would have made more than the 4 million USD a year he got from Calgary in the KHL

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There is a premium on skating and that is something Hudler doesn't do well. I think a part of it is waiting for things to get sorted, but Hudler isn't going to age great as a small guy that doesn't skate well. It also more than likely makes him a no go for some.

Like the people above saying the Penguins, that is hard to see given the system they are running.

I have always liked Hudler, has incredible hands and is willing to pay the price for a small guy that does get hit a lot. I hope he can find something here, but I really think the fit of his skill sets limit him. He isn't somebody a lot of teams are looking to add this deep into the off-season in my opinion.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I'd give him a cheap deal on the Islanders. I think he'd be good on Strome's RW and we could use one more top-6 forward.

i would love this. if Grabovski is going to go on LTIR (very possible), then Hudler would be an excellent replacement for him.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
He's still one of the best even strength point producers in the entire NHL. I still think he finds a home eventually.

I don't want him back in Florida, but he wasn't awful in his time here. Hard to believe he'd be done with the NHL at 32 as a consistent 50+ point producer (over 82 games).

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I've talked about this on the Pens board. What I believe he should do is look to a contender for a cheap 1yr deal who can also put him in a position to inflate his worth for a year.

For example, say he goes to the Penguins for 1yr for $1mil. Is he worth more? Absolutely. But with the impending expansion draft and so many teams being so close to the cap right now, his bet bet (in my opinion) is to look to next years free agency class. Inevitably, a couple teams will lose a top 6 forward. Those teams will need to replace that and boom, there Hudler will be. He will likely get a much higher salary and term next off season than he could ever hope for this off season.

Like I said, say he goes to Pittsburgh and signs cheap under the understanding that the Pens want him on Malkin's RW. He's now playing for a contract next year and has a tremendous opportunity to inflate his stats while playing with Malkin (example, Jussi Jokinen - goes from waived then salary retained player in Carolina to Pit then to Flordia for a 4x4 contract). In the process, he also gets his mostly like best chance at a cup in his career.

So you take less for one year, bummer, but you'll make up for it on your next contract. Going to Europe, the KHL, etc will not do anything for his NHL career. He could also wait it out and try to get a cheap half year deal if there's an injury but again, that doesn't help his negotiating abilities for next off season after the expansion draft and entry draft make things a little clearer.

IMHO, the smart man does that. Play checkers and look for $$$ and term on a non-contender or go to Europe or play chess and sign with the Penguins for cheap.

37209-jiri-hudler-stanley-cup-clanok.jpg

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think Hudler can get an offer from Vancouver. They don't mind slowness, littleness or old age. They seem to prefer them, actually. So, I feel it's doubtful that he goes to the KHL, except for more money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad