Post-Game Talk: Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Anyone else was hoping that this team would have a similar trajectory as the 2014-15 113 point team that was also a .500 team in December? I checked their records and they were 17-10-4 after 31, our record is 16-10-5.
I'm also inclined to point out that Henrik Lundqvist had many, many average starts to seasons throughout his career.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm also inclined to point out that Henrik Lundqvist had many, many average starts to seasons throughout his career.

Absolutely and Igor is at 0.917 save % now, which considering how much more offensive the league is right up there with almost any Lundqvist season (obviously not 11-12).

Reactions: Lua

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Blais f***ing sucks and be he won’t be here next year. Give Krav his minutes

The only reason Blais is still playing is because Drury knows what a disaster the Buch deal was and Blais is the only remaining piece

It’s a sunk cost already, they need to move on from him
Ahahaha. Krav needs to earn his place in the top six, or at least middle six, it’s not about him competing with Blais. Krav is not what you want in a fourth liner. At this point with how little he has shown, I’m not sure Krav is here for anything more than the sunk cost of a 9OA pick. Hahaha.
That being said, If I Was The Coach, I’d move Goodrow to 4C put Krav in his spot to sink or HOPEFULLY swim, and dress either Blais or Brod depending on the opponent.
My overall point here is that Blais isn’t the competition. It’s Vesey and (Gallant’s use of) Goodrow.

Reactions: leetch99

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Ahahaha. Krav needs to earn his place in the top six, or at least middle six, it’s not about him competing with Blais. Krav is not what you want in a fourth liner. At this point with how little he has shown, I’m not sure Krav is here for anything more than the sunk cost of a 9OA pick. Hahaha.
That being said, If I Was The Coach, I’d move Goodrow to 4C put Krav in his spot to sink or HOPEFULLY swim, and dress either Blais or Brod depending on the opponent.
My overall point here is that Blais isn’t the competition. It’s Vesey and (Gallant’s use of) Goodrow.
It's Goodrow and he needs to be on line 4. There is no reason for him not to be on line 4. Moving him away from the top 6 makes the top and bottom of the lineup better.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
It wasn't perfect, but def one of the best games of the year.

Shesty was in Full Shesty mode.

Panarin continues to play a far more responsible game. And the backcheck on Matthews was a huge moment for him and this team. It showed his commitment to playing a more complete game. It's a huge leadership moment. If Bread is going to do the little things like backchecking and chipping pucks deep etc, than the rest of the team will surely follow. There's been several moments in the last 5 games that have felt like they could be turning points. Saves by Shesty, the Kakko goal against the Devils, all help with confidence building, but the Panarin backcheck is way up there for me because it's not about finding your confidence but playing with commitment in all zones. Gallant may not have a great system and they may rely too much on player effort vs coaching adjustments, but if there's team buy in across the board, nearly any system will look significantly better.

As this winning streak has taken shape, there's been increasing talk of the Rangers scoring less at 5v5 and once again relying on last season's formula -- shesty + pp. I hear it. But I think the flipside is important as well. If the flipside of those numbers means the Rangers are less loose in the NZ and D zone and they can reliably hold most opponents to 3 or less most nights, the wins will pile up. So, if they get dominated at 5v5 but they limit high danger chances against, I personally will stop caring about those 5v5 metrics.

The best aspect of the last two games. The Rangers found ways to make enough high skill plays to win the game. They converted rush opportunities. They made near perfect shots. The downside? They generated very little off the forecheck, going to low to high and getting those tips/deflections/rebounds. They did get one against NJ on the PP, the Trocheck goal. But they need to do that at ES.

Finally, Kravtsov. The kid played a very responsible game. Was decently effective on the forecheck. The worst play of the game for him was dumping the puck in, cross corner when every forward was stuck on his side of the ice,; which led to a very quick transition for the leafs. Regardless, if forcing the opposition to go 200ft is the worst play you made in a game, you should be considered super reliable. There is no way you can tell me that Kravy and Blais are equally as responsible with the puck. No way. Kravy is better. I don't know what pre-conceived notions GG has of these two players, but comparing their in season play, there's no comparison, Blais is far more reckless with his passing, especially at the opposing team's blue line. Whereas Kravy keeps it simple. The only thing Blais gives you that Kravy doesn't is he forces opposing D to keep their heads up. He is more of a force along the walls physically. It may not lead to more possession, but that kind of physical play can have a positive effect in totality in a game. A big hit or two can effect the opposition and player who was hit far beyond one shift. If you look at it from that perspective and from the POV that the Rangers, other than Blais and Trouba do not make the evening hard for opponents physically, you understand why GG wants to find ways to keep Blais in the lineup, despite what is clearly limited effectiveness otherwise.

Clearly, if GG had his druthers and coudl put anyone on that line, he would pick 3 big fast bruisers who hit hit hit, forecheck, cycle and clog up the ice. I believe his philosophy is that a line like that has far more impact on a game than when they're out there. To that end, the earlier part of the season consisted of Blais, Carpenter and Reaves. If that line had far more footspeed, thats closer to GG's ideal. But as you can see, slowly over the course of the season that 4th line has evolved to be far less physical and a bit more about speed. Brodz in for Carpy, Kravy in for the Blais, Gauthier in for Reavo. I have to believe that GG is somewhat uncomfortable with this. Has it worked? I mean, kinda. I'm not pointing this out to defend why Blais in over Kravy. I think Kravy shouldn't even be on the 4th line. But i do believe some version of this debate is what has driven the decision making.

If it were up to me, Kravy would be in the lineup EVERY GAME or close to it. He plays quite a bit more responsible than many of the other forwards. He's not some kid whose prone to blown coverages. He's been playing in the KHL for 4 years. He's knows what he's doing. And if I were GG, I would actually put VK on the PK. The thing with Kravy is, he's got better wheels right now than KK and AF. And he's got enough smarts to be a responsible 3rd wheel on any line. He's not nearly as strong and gritty as Jesper Fast was, but I believe, if we used him right this season, Kravy could become an invaluable swiss army knife. Far more effective than Blais in that regard.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Chytil looked like a monster. If he can stay healthy... he is becoming something special.

Vesey looks so much better than he did during his first stint with us. He has obviously matured as a player, good to see.
I don't know about Vesey. It seems people forgot about the past couple weeks of offense dying on his stick.

He's a great 4th liner and an average 3rd liner. It's not the player that's the issue.

Chytil's shot is finally back. He had major struggles finishing to start the year.

Panarin Zibs Kakko
Kreider Trocheck Vesey
Lafreniere Chytil Kravtsov
Goodrow Brodz Gauthier

Lindgren Fox
KAM Schneider
Jones Trouba

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Finally, Kravtsov. The kid played a very responsible game. Was decently effective on the forecheck. The worst play of the game for him was dumping the puck in, cross corner when every forward was stuck on his side of the ice,; which led to a very quick transition for the leafs. Regardless, if forcing the opposition to go 200ft is the worst play you made in a game, you should be considered super reliable. There is no way you can tell me that Kravy and Blais are equally as responsible with the puck. No way. Kravy is better. I don't know what pre-conceived notions GG has of these two players, but comparing their in season play, there's no comparison, Blais is far more reckless with his passing, especially at the opposing team's blue line. Whereas Kravy keeps it simple. The only thing Blais gives you that Kravy doesn't is he forces opposing D to keep their heads up. He is more of a force along the walls physically. It may not lead to more possession, but that kind of physical play can have a positive effect in totality in a game. A big hit or two can effect the opposition and player who was hit far beyond one shift. If you look at it from that perspective and from the POV that the Rangers, other than Blais and Trouba do not make the evening hard for opponents physically, you understand why GG wants to find ways to keep Blais in the lineup, despite what is clearly limited effectiveness otherwise.

Clearly, if GG had his druthers and coudl put anyone on that line, he would pick 3 big fast bruisers who hit hit hit, forecheck, cycle and clog up the ice. I believe his philosophy is that a line like that has far more impact on a game than when they're out there. To that end, the earlier part of the season consisted of Blais, Carpenter and Reaves. If that line had far more footspeed, thats closer to GG's ideal. But as you can see, slowly over the course of the season that 4th line has evolved to be far less physical and a bit more about speed. Brodz in for Carpy, Kravy in for the Blais, Gauthier in for Reavo. I have to believe that GG is somewhat uncomfortable with this. Has it worked? I mean, kinda. I'm not pointing this out to defend why Blais in over Kravy. I think Kravy shouldn't even be on the 4th line. But i do believe some version of this debate is what has driven the decision making.

If it were up to me, Kravy would be in the lineup EVERY GAME or close to it. He plays quite a bit more responsible than many of the other forwards. He's not some kid whose prone to blown coverages. He's been playing in the KHL for 4 years. He's knows what he's doing. And if I were GG, I would actually put VK on the PK. The thing with Kravy is, he's got better wheels right now than KK and AF. And he's got enough smarts to be a responsible 3rd wheel on any line. He's not nearly as strong and gritty as Jesper Fast was, but I believe, if we used him right this season, Kravy could become an invaluable swiss army knife. Far more effective than Blais in that regard.
Let's slow down a bit - you are comparing a 1/3 worth of Blais coming out of devastating knee injury to ONE game from Kravtsov. It's not surprising to me that his best game came from playing on the 4th line - much simpler game requirement against generally lesser opposition. Kravtsov earned himself another game / chance to stay in the lineup. Is this performance level going to last? Will he continue to improve or regress as it was the case before? For now at least he should be part of the rotation for 3 wings spot with Vesey, Blais, Gauthier. It's already an improvement from where he was in the pecking order. If he continues to show improvements and building on last night's performance as a base then he should get another chance on try a spot within top-6 or -9 in place of Goodrow and Vesey. Baby steps

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I don't know about Vesey. It seems people forgot about the past couple weeks of offense dying on his stick.

He's a great 4th liner and an average 3rd liner. It's not the player that's the issue.

Chytil's shot is finally back. He had major struggles finishing to start the year.

Panarin Zibs Kakko
Kreider Trocheck Vesey
Lafreniere Chytil Kravtsov
Goodrow Brodz Gauthier

Lindgren Fox
KAM Schneider
Jones Trouba
Vesey is definitely a 3rd line player, playing out of position. With that said, he is a much better 3rd liner now than when he was with the rangers the first time, where it looked like he didn't even belong in the NHL at times.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
By your logic it's really surprising that Drury's pet didn't make the Rangers this season. What kind of "treatment" is this????
It was close, which says a lot

Chytil looked like a monster. If he can stay healthy... he is becoming something special.

Vesey looks so much better than he did during his first stint with us. He has obviously matured as a player, good to see.
Imo he looks the same but expectations are a lot lower.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It's Goodrow and he needs to be on line 4. There is no reason for him not to be on line 4. Moving him away from the top 6 makes the top and bottom of the lineup better.
This. All of this. Is Goodrow so much better than Kravtsov in a top six role that it justifies putting a 22-year-old wafer-thin finesse player on the checking line? I don't see it.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I still don't like the lines at even strength. They are not creating enough.

Winning masks it though...
I don't either, yes they've won 5 straight but they have been generating barely anything offensively. 5 games in a row where their expected goal numbers are below 1.5. They need to take Goodrow off of the top line at the bare minimum.

Reactions: duhmetreE

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I don't either, yes they've won 5 straight but they have been generating barely anything offensively. 5 games in a row where their expected goal numbers are below 1.5. They need to take Goodrow off of the top line at the bare minimum.
Lines

Panarin-Chytil-Vesey
Lafreniere-Trocheck-Kakko
Kreider-Zibanejad-Kravtsov
Blais-Goodrow-Gauthier

Reactions: leetch99

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Let's slow down a bit - you are comparing a 1/3 worth of Blais coming out of devastating knee injury to ONE game from Kravtsov. It's not surprising to me that his best game came from playing on the 4th line - much simpler game requirement against generally lesser opposition. Kravtsov earned himself another game / chance to stay in the lineup. Is this performance level going to last? Will he continue to improve or regress as it was the case before? For now at least he should be part of the rotation for 3 wings spot with Vesey, Blais, Gauthier. It's already an improvement from where he was in the pecking order. If he continues to show improvements and building on last night's performance as a base then he should get another chance on try a spot within top-6 or -9 in place of Goodrow and Vesey. Baby steps
Actually it’s more about prioritizing VK being in the lineup so we can either maximize trade value or keep him and develop him.

Reactions: egelband and Atax

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I don't think Gallant cares. The team's puck movement is horrible, but that's his system/approach more than the lines.

Gallant's number one priority is to keep his sniffer above the water, which is understandable but not necessarily conducive to good hockey.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He's been neutered of all the moxy and attitude he had in juniors. Imagine if the Rangers organization didn't gag and rope him and drag him into a dark cellar and cut his nuts off... or force him to submit to Kreider Zibanejad love affair or force him to defer to Panarin and Goodrow... kid might actually be a hockey player right now instead of a kid trying to fit in with the cool crowd...
Curious to know in which dimension this happened.

It's not the one we live in, so it must have happened on another plane.

My favorite part is that he was forced to defer to Goodrow.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kravtsov has earned to be back in top 6. It's stupid to have him on the fourth line. Perhaps he could turn into something. Funny how Gallant put Kravtsov wit the kids on PP and they immediately scored.
Dumb luck, or was it talent? Was it a mirage? Was it well thought out in advance? Anyone have answer(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad