Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Vesey Signs with Rangers - MOD WARNING # 318

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I 100% agree with everything you just said, but the impression I'm getting from reports on the meeting between the Bruins and Vesey is that they did promise him a spot on David Krejci's wing. Tim Murray came right out and said they promised him a top 6 spot in Buffalo. Good for Vesey if he can get teams to make these promises, but I agree with you completely and think the potential negative effects of making promises to potential support players and what that might mean for the team culture, far out-weighs any positives should the player reach his potential. It's a bad way to run a hockey team, but if Vesey's agent can get them to dance, then power to him. Dance, dance away ...

Nashville offered the same when he couldn't negotiate with anyone else... Every potential employee wants to know where management sees them fitting in before they sign a deal, this is no different.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
There is a difference between signing a vet to a deal as a ufa and then trading him and an amateur as a ufa and then trading him. I bet if you surveyed every nhl player they wouldn't like the fact vesey didn't sign with the team that drafted him, didn't like that he's stringing out this courting period, and was taught a lesson that no matter how much power you thought you had, an elc is an elc. And those cannot include nmc. You think you can just pick your place without ever stepping foot on an nhl rink? hes fully allowed to I understand. It's a collectively bargained part of the cba. But so is trading players with nmc. I'm pretty sure it's not in the cba for highly touted prospects to snub their drafting team. It's for middling prospects who weren't even offered a contract from their drafting team. That's why I called it a loophole. That rule doesn't exist for him. It exists for the underachiever who no one cares about to just try to find a job after his senior year

And I say thats bull ****.

Line items exist for the bargaining unit. As a whole. It doesnt have maybes.
Ive negotiated them myself and personally sat in on NLRB certification sessions.
You are entitled to believe what you want. But Im saying you are categorically wrong.

Every player would say we have to protect our negotiated rights.
Most players yearn to get to free agency. Thats the single most debated aspect of these CBAs especially since the CAP was agreed to.

Fact.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I mean I can see your point on this, Debrusk was a recent draft pick with some high upside..both unproven...I don't think they would move Debrusk unless it was for maybe a Trouba or Shattenkirk type player, not even then most likely. Theres other options. So I see your point there, However Debrusk was just a draft pick..So its a little different. Neither situation would look good..I don't think they would move either. Tho draft picks have been moved early in their career shortly after being drafted, it happens, albeit VERY rarely but yeah, its a bad move for a GM. But sign and trades rarely EVER happen...So theres 0 chance the Bruins would move Vesey if they signed him.

I mean the players are just assets. The team will (and should) use it's assets the best way possible to improve the team. Both DeBrusk and potentially Vesey would be on ELC's with no protective clauses, so both should be equally fair game to move. Regardless of how the team feels about the player today (or vice versa), if something comes along where that asset can be used to bring in a different asset to the benefit of the team, then they are fair game to move. That's the business of hockey.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
100% don't think he comes to Boston. If he was going to, it'd be known already. Don't take it out on me because you got your hopes up again.

I'm not taking anything out on you. I have already said several times I would like Vesey to sign in Boston, but if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world. I just don't get how it's been obvious NY was the choice, even if that's where he ends up. I also think it would be the worst choice.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
I wonder if their will be apologies issued to those twitter accounts that were criticized for sharing with us the reliable information they had about the Rangers being the finalist, favorite, done deal etc.

Why? Because their guessing was right???

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Didn't expect Boston but don't understand the logic for NYR.

Their window is closed. Chicago, Pittsburgh, and even Toronto seem like better choices. Seems like off ice stuff was more important to him.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I thought he'd go to the Hawks, but considering the Rags tend to be a destination for these college players, it's kind of expected. Never really thought he'd come here.

Good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad