Jimmy Vesey First NHL Goal

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
That's what I see too. Years of no 1st round picks is going to catch up the Rags in the high end talent department. A lot of those players are going to be good, but in this game, you need some great ones too, and I just don't see any great ones there. Time will tell.

Well we got to the finals and got deep every year for 4 years in a row or something without a superstar now.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It would be wise for people slamming the Rangers to remember his name.

He looks great as a kid in a pretty god league...

They also have 3-4 other very good G prospects...

But what is funny, is that people forget you really don't need a generational goalie to win a Cup anymore.

They pick up a big time D man, buyout Girard and have Ryan Graves continue his rise, and they are going to be contending for years- whether they can win a Cup is another story...I think you have to crap out or Tank like so many other recent winners have done to get that extreme high-end talent.

Still, have respect that my team never tries to lose a game...ever.

I also think Gilmour can become a very good defensemen! PLaying his first pro year in Hartford this season, he has also won the NCAA with Providence.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's what I see too. Years of no 1st round picks is going to catch up the Rags in the high end talent department. A lot of those players are going to be good, but in this game, you need some great ones too, and I just don't see any great ones there. Time will tell.

The Rangers since 2011-12 have made the conference finals 3 times, the final once, had 3 100+ seasons, one time winning the east and one time winning the Presidents' Trophy. If they kept those first round picks they'd still not have too many chances to get great players. Look where they'd be drafting. 2010 they REALLY REALLY ****ed up in not taking Tarasenko, the one time they shied away from a Russian, inexcusable. But that doesn't have anything to do with them trading their picks. They, in hindsight shouldn't have traded Duclair, but he was a 3rd rounder. Besides if Duclair is that star player then Buchnevich definitely has potential be a star player. Buchnevich was the better prospect. The Rangers replenished two of their draft picks with Hayes and Vesey. Two guys that most likely we wouldn't get getting a better pick late in the first round anyway. Honestly, it's a fun narrative to make fun of the Rangers for trading first round picks. Two of those were made up for and the others most likely wouldn't superstars either, playing the odds. Only **** up was not getting Tarasenko in 2010, a year when they didn't trade away their draft pick.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Well we got to the finals and got deep every year for 4 years in a row or something without a superstar now.

The Rangers since 2011-12 have made the conference finals 3 times, the final once, had 3 100+ seasons, one time winning the east and one time winning the Presidents' Trophy. If they kept those first round picks they'd still not have too many chances to get great players. Look where they'd be drafting. 2010 they REALLY REALLY ****ed up in not taking Tarasenko, the one time they shied away from a Russian, inexcusable. But that doesn't have anything to do with them trading their picks. They, in hindsight shouldn't have traded Duclair, but he was a 3rd rounder. Besides if Duclair is that star player then Buchnevich definitely has potential be a star player. Buchnevich was the better prospect. The Rangers replenished two of their draft picks with Hayes and Vesey. Two guys that most likely we wouldn't get getting a better pick late in the first round anyway. Honestly, it's a fun narrative to make fun of the Rangers for trading first round picks. Two of those were made up for and the others most likely wouldn't superstars either, playing the odds. Only **** up was not getting Tarasenko in 2010, a year when they didn't trade away their draft pick.

You guys have obviously done very well in recent years. I'm certainly not disputing that. I was just saying that on the list that was posted, I see a lot of good players, but no really great ones. It's hard to get great players when you either have no 1sts, or are drafting at the end of the 1st. You guys may continue to do well with a collection of good and very good players. I just don't think you'll be a real threat again with the collection of players you have (most especially on D - which I don't think anyone really argues with.) On the bright side, you still have Lundqvist, who has at least several more good years left.

buttman*

Buchnevich can become a 1st liner player. He's played 2 games and was very good in the KHL. I doubt Vesey becomes a star but these two players played 5 games between them. You saying that they're not going to be stars based on what?

Stars are Malkin, Crosby, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Doughty. These are the guys off the recent cup winners. The rags have a nice collection but needs some Elite talent to go with this group.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Stars are Malkin, Crosby, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Doughty. These are the guys off the recent cup winners. The rags have a nice collection but needs some Elite talent to go with this group.

There really isn't a way for our club to acquire one in the next 4 years, so we're just going to have to hope that you're wrong.

If NYR have a path to victory, its through depth and improving the defense. You're right, we have no real superstars unless Hank is on his game.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

So please tell me you how the Rangers acquire those type of players if they are always making the playoffs and never set to be drafting in the top 15, or the top 10, or more specifically the top 5?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You guys have obviously done very well in recent years. I'm certainly not disputing that. I was just saying that on the list that was posted, I see a lot of good players, but no really great ones. It's hard to get great players when you either have no 1sts, or are drafting at the end of the 1st. You guys may continue to do well with a collection of good and very good players. I just don't think you'll be a real threat again with the collection of players you have (most especially on D - which I don't think anyone really argues with.) On the bright side, you still have Lundqvist, who has at least several more good years left.

But that's the thing. You said because we traded those players away. That's a popular shot at the Rangers. If we didn't get Hayes and Vesey and kept our draft picks likely we're still somewhere around there at where we draft. You seem to not have an agenda. However it seems like a lot of people are giddy with the opportunity to stick to the Rangers for all of their trades they made. What I'm saying is it's hard to get top end players drafting late anyway. Also on offense we haven't had top end players in these years since the lockout except for Jagr and a couple of seasons of Nash and Gaborik. Otherwise we haven't had one superstar. Do we need superstar forwards to win the cup? Maybe. But who are these superstars we could have had but didn't get? Also, we know nothing about guys like Buchnevich who is probably our best forward prospect since Cherepanov. The guy had phenomenal productivity in the KHL but he wasn't a top 5 pick and people find a need to always tell Rangers fans how much their team sucks so there's no chance he's a first liner. Zibenajad and Kreider have sure played like typical first liners so far too. They're both young.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
We dont need to get a new goalie. Have great goalie prospects. That russian guy we picked in the 4th round in 2014 for example is tearing it up in the KHL as a 20 year old.
His stats so far this season:
2016-17 SKA St. Petersburg 16GP GAA 1.57 save percentage .940

It's no guarantee that we'll have our own guy ready to go, but the stable certainly looks promising. Wall and Huska off to very good starts in the NCAA as well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

No, those are superstars not stars. You have no idea what a number of the players on the team will become. Also, just because the Rangers don't have those players doesn't mean they'll not win a cup. Who was the Bruins' superstar? Chara and whom? Our defense could use help but our offense is fine. There's no law written that a team with a few superstars but mediocre depth is better than a team with great depth but no superstars.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Rangers have been a playoff team (and a deep playoff team) for years now, its not like these 1st rounders they traded were top 10 picks. Even if they kept all those picks in the late teens or 20s what are the chances of drafting a superstar?

The rangers drafted pretty low from 1999-2005 and none of those players became stars (or even NHLers in some cases) so the fact that they traded these 1st rounders doesnt mean much especially when they were able to sign guys like Hayes and Vesey, not stars but if they become regular middle 6ers thats better than a lot of guys drafted in the mid to late 1st round.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
But that's the thing. You said because we traded those players away. That's a popular shot at the Rangers. If we didn't get Hayes and Vesey and kept our draft picks likely we're still somewhere around there at where we draft. You seem to not have an agenda. However it seems like a lot of people are giddy with the opportunity to stick to the Rangers for all of their trades they made. What I'm saying is it's hard to get top end players drafting late anyway. Also on offense we haven't had top end players in these years since the lockout except for Jagr and a couple of seasons of Nash and Gaborik. Otherwise we haven't had one superstar. Do we need superstar forwards to win the cup? Maybe. But who are these superstars we could have had but didn't get? Also, we know nothing about guys like Buchnevich who is probably our best forward prospect since Cherepanov. The guy had phenomenal productivity in the KHL but he wasn't a top 5 pick and people find a need to always tell Rangers fans how much their team sucks so there's no chance he's a first liner. Zibenajad and Kreider have sure played like typical first liners so far too. They're both young.

I didn't say that at all. You traded your picks away. You got MSL, but you still traded your picks. And as much as I like Kreider (local kid, so we watched him with interest), I don't think he's going to develop into a GREAT player. He's very good, but that's all I think he'll be, along with pretty much all of your roster. Like someone said, it's the price of success and being competitive for so many years.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
No, those are superstars not stars. You have no idea what a number of the players on the team will become. Also, just because the Rangers don't have those players doesn't mean they'll not win a cup. Who was the Bruins' superstar? Chara and whom? Our defense could use help but our offense is fine. There's no law written that a team with a few superstars but mediocre depth is better than a team with great depth but no superstars.

I think though, that with the defensive players the Rangers currently have, they won't win a cup. I won't pretend to know what your defensive pipeline looks like, but your current d does, like you say, need help. And as a Bruins fan, believe me, I know what a defense that needs help looks like :laugh:

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Rangers don't need a superstar forward, they have very nice scoring depth. They need a big time d man to take a load off McDonough.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
As for the OP, I'm a little bitter, because I really wanted Vesey to sign with the hometown Bruins, so I'm understandably jilted when he didn't I understand some of the reasons why he chose the Rangers, and now he's got the puck from his first NHL goal and no one can take that away from him. Wish him the best, except when the Rags play the Bruins.

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
Mcdonagh(27)
Staal(29)
Zucc(29)
Stepan(26)
Hayes(24)
Kreider(25)
Zibanajad(23)
Buchnevich(21)
Fast(24)
Miller(23)
Vesey(23)
Clendening(23)
Mcilrath(24)
Skjei(22)
Pirri(25)
Grabner(29)
Jooris(26)

Nash(32)
Lundquist(34)
Girardi(32)
Klein(31)

I've analyzed this post with a team of experts and we've come to the conclusion that it is indeed a list of hockey players.

I can confirm this. /EndThread

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, our team did tank on purpose three and two years ago, you're right.

Doesn't change that there's no way in hell I'd ever trade the two rosters straight up. You guys are in for a crappy next decade or so.

Three years ago is not relevant to no-mans land, where the Rags are heading. It's not fun. We were there for ten years ourselves, until we decided to get that elite talent.

You "were" in no mans land? What are you now? Last year with all that elite talent led to a sub .500 season. It's the Oilers without McDavid.

Rangers will be fine for the foreseeable future. They need an RD badly and they'll likely need a new coach a little bit down the line. The team is young and talented with some established guys, a stable of good goalie prospects for post-Hank times and a few good D prospects too. Not too much up front outside of a few depth guys but considering we literally just added Vesey and Buchnevich as rookies and got younger at center with Zbad I'm not too worried. Most importantly, NYR has a culture of being a successful team for the past few years and a stable of guys who have been deep in the playoffs and been to the finals.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I didn't say that at all. You traded your picks away. You got MSL, but you still traded your picks. And as much as I like Kreider (local kid, so we watched him with interest), I don't think he's going to develop into a GREAT player. He's very good, but that's all I think he'll be, along with pretty much all of your roster. Like someone said, it's the price of success and being competitive for so many years.

He's looking pretty great right now. Consistency has always been his issue so we'll have to wait and see if this is an aberration or him turning a corner, but if he can keep up his play as it's been this preseason and young season, he'll safely be a "great" player.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Mcdonagh(27)
Staal(29)
Zucc(29)
Stepan(26)
Hayes(24)
Kreider(25)
Zibanajad(23)
Buchnevich(21)
Fast(24)
Miller(23)
Vesey(23)
Clendening(23)
Mcilrath(24)
Skjei(22)
Pirri(25)
Grabner(29)
Jooris(26)

Nash(32)
Lundquist(34)
Girardi(32)
Klein(31)

No future..... 8th youngest team in the NHL this season. We dont have alot of high end prospects but our team is actually pretty young. Forward group is very young and deep.

you could have a team full of babies and it would be super young but probably not very good. The team is bad

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00