Value of: Jimmy Howard to TOR at the TD

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The one good thing about a potential 2019 lockout is the compliance buyout. :laugh:

It's a 2020 lockout isn't it?

either way with Seattle coming in I don't know that there will be a lockout having a lockout before an exspansion team comes in is bad for business

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The way Anaheim looks right now.... I assume we might be moving Miller at the deadline... would be a good vet/leader and great back up for the leaf playoff push.... and I assume miller would be cool spending half a season chasing a cup... Toronto might be best spot for him. Ducks and Toronto have a pretty good history in making trades.... just give us a pick or 2(depending on rounds) and call it a day.

Reactions: zaqq

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's a 2020 lockout isn't it?

either way with Seattle coming in I don't know that there will be a lockout having a lockout before an exspansion team comes in is bad for business

Both the NHL and the NHLPA have an opt-out clause in September 2019. If they don't opt out, it ends in 2022.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Sv5FjBi.gif

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The new CBA was signed in the 2012/2013 season for 10 years, They can opt out after 9 years. So that's 2020/2021 either way you look at it.

The opt out window opens September 2019 for sure, but I think you're right about 20-21. My guess is they can opt out but it wont end for another year, that way you're not suddenly trying to work out a new CBA a week before camp opens.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The opt out window opens September 2019 for sure, but I think you're right about 20-21. My guess is they can opt out but it wont end for another year, that way you're not suddenly trying to work out a new CBA a week before camp opens.
Yep just looked it up, They can vote as early as September 2019 on what to do. But the current CBA can't be terminated until September 2020. So i am correct on the 2020/2021 season.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'd rather play a little more for a top caliber backup especially when teams like Boston are bringing in guys like Halak and Boston is a team you need to get through to win a championship and this team can win a champion so spend a little more, go get Howard or Kinkaid, somebody that you know can play well if Andersen goes down because right now Andersen is all we got

I see what you're saying. But Boston brought in Halak because they thought they might need him to play even with Rask healthy. It showed a lack of confidence in their #1. No one in Toronto's front office or coaching staff feels that for Andersen. All we need is injury insurance, not a plan B. If Andersen is healthy, Babcock will start him.

And some other available guys could do that job perfectly. Someone suggested Miller, and that's a good one. He could play a playoff series and not sink this team. Hutchinson has started 30 ish NHL games in a few different seasons. He'd be fine.

I bet Howard would be more expensive than most think. There's a chance Detroit re-signs him, so they won't just toss him away for nothing. So I'd rather not spend our TDL picks and cap space on Howard when we could use it to fill other holes. Just snag someone better than Sparks to be the insurance policy.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
In fairness, last year, and for starters this year, it doesn't matter who is in net, the buds get squashed by the better Bruins team regardless of who is in net.

The Bruins get built up into this boogeyman because they beat us at the opportune, heartbreaking times. But all told, regular season and playoffs we're 6-6 against them in the last ~14 months and 10-6 against them since the beginning of 2016-17. They're unquestionably an elite team but hardly our kryptonite.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I see what you're saying. But Boston brought in Halak because they thought they might need him to play even with Rask healthy. It showed a lack of confidence in their #1. No one in Toronto's front office or coaching staff feels that for Andersen. All we need is injury insurance, not a plan B. If Andersen is healthy, Babcock will start him.

And some other available guys could do that job perfectly. Someone suggested Miller, and that's a good one. He could play a playoff series and not sink this team. Hutchinson has started 30 ish NHL games in a few different seasons. He'd be fine.

I bet Howard would be more expensive than most think. There's a chance Detroit re-signs him, so they won't just toss him away for nothing. So I'd rather not spend our TDL picks and cap space on Howard when we could use it to fill other holes. Just snag someone better than Sparks to be the insurance policy.

If it's just simply better than Sparks then that's not hard to fill, I'd even take Mike Smith over Sparks at this point, because while Mike Smith is having a terrible year he has shown as recently as last year that he is a good NHL goalie I think he's just having a bad stretch, Sparks hasn't shown that he can be a good NHL goalie he is just lucky his team scored 7 goals in Chicago.

I like the Miller idea if we can get him on a short extension.

Andersen/ Miller is a combo I LOVE BUT it leaves us looking for a backup in 2 years at most.

That's why I'd go for Kinkaid because he can solidify that spot for a few years.

I think Andersen/Kinkaid is about as solid as you get

Reactions: zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
If it's just simply better than Sparks then that's not hard to fill, I'd even take Mike Smith over Sparks at this point, because while Mike Smith is having a terrible year he has shown as recently as last year that he is a good NHL goalie I think he's just having a bad stretch, Sparks hasn't shown that he can be a good NHL goalie he is just lucky his team scored 7 goals in Chicago.

I like the Miller idea if we can get him on a short extension.

Andersen/ Miller is a combo I LOVE BUT it leaves us looking for a backup in 2 years at most.

That's why I'd go for Kinkaid because he can solidify that spot for a few years.

I think Andersen/Kinkaid is about as solid as you get

Ya, we're almost in agreement here. I think Kinkaid anf Howard might cost a bit too much. But I sure wouldn't be sad to have them. I think Miller would be the best option from the sound of things. He always wins against us, so maybe he can win with us, too.

Bottom line is, Sparks doesn't cut it right now. I wouldn't wait to see if he can turn it around (but I also, again, wouldn't be sad if he did). Anyone is an improvement, and we don't need someone who can platoon, since Andy will start 60 plus games easily.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
A 2nd and taking one of our cap dumps would work
Not likely. Leafs can’t afford to eat a bad contract. For a backup goalie a 2nd is already rich. Howard is worth the pick given how he is plating, but for now he is still a legitimate starter, not a backup, and the Leafs aready have a top-10 starter in net.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I'd much rather just give fla a 5th for Hutchinson than overpay for a 2G rental

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Howard is not a backup goalie, so not sure why you're looking for him as a backup option. He actually has been very solid for us, and I'd rather keep him around now that the boys are starting to win.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Ahh... So they opt-out in September 2019 and then have the 19-20 season to negotiate or the 20-21 season goes on hold, then?

The opt out isn't a hard deadline. It basically gives both sides a years notice to hopefully initiate some kind of meaningful negotiations. Sept. 2020 would be the deadline if the opt out is triggered by either side.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Howard is not a backup goalie, so not sure why you're looking for him as a backup option. He actually has been very solid for us, and I'd rather keep him around now that the boys are starting to win.

Because Garett Sparks is the current backup and that's just not good enough

Reactions: Liferleafer

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Not likely. Leafs can’t afford to eat a bad contract. For a backup goalie a 2nd is already rich. Howard is worth the pick given how he is plating, but for now he is still a legitimate starter, not a backup, and the Leafs aready have a top-10 starter in net.

Heh, I figured, but that Abdelkader contract is just downright ugly

It was also very early when I made that post and I forgot the cap crunch the leafs are going to have regardless

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The way Anaheim looks right now.... I assume we might be moving Miller at the deadline... would be a good vet/leader and great back up for the leaf playoff push.... and I assume miller would be cool spending half a season chasing a cup... Toronto might be best spot for him. Ducks and Toronto have a pretty good history in making trades.... just give us a pick or 2(depending on rounds) and call it a day.
Miller hates the Leafs. Hates them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad