Value of: Jimmy Howard to the Calgary Flames

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That happened many years ago with Keith Tkachuk, so it's not unheard of.

If Howard isn't an option, how about Bernier?

I didn't think Bernier would be an option. I assumed he was the guy who would insulate the young goalies in your system until they were ready.

Would rather trade Bernier since he is locked up longer. What would you offer?

Assuming you're keeping Howard and still need a legitimate option to insulate your goalie prospects and back up Howard, I'd assume the starting offer we'd be suggesting is Rittich+ X. However, I am not totally sure what X is, but it I'm thinking it's prospects or picks. I'm also assuming you'd keep Rittich and actually play him for the next few seasons as Howard's backup.

Rittich I personally think is within the same range/calibre of goalie as Bernier but much less developed than Bernier. However, this is only his sophomore season (last season I think was only his second season in North America) and he could continue to improve, but for now, I think he's less consistent than Bernier. We need consistency now to compete and can't really wait on Rittich if he is struggling along side Smith later this season.

I don't know if the Flames would have a lot of interest. They need a proven starter. Bernier has been wildly up and down throughout his career and struggled whenever he's the #1.

A Smith/Bernier tandem isn't too bad for this season. After this season, because of what is left on Bernier's contract, I think it's an OK option for a backup if we find a starter and it's not long enough to truly block an up and comer like Gilles or Parsons. It's not a home run option, but there are far worse options than Bernier's 3 mil AAV as starter/backup for the next 3 seasons.

I've always felt that Bernier was a decent 1B, good backup. But struggles if he's the #1 or a 1A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad