Value of: Jimmy Howard to the Calgary Flames

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
34 year old pending UFA with respectable career goaltending stats of GAA: 2.50 SV% 0.915

What would it cost to get him to Calgary? Smith would need to be going back for cap reasons if we're assuming Detroit is not on his 8 team no trade list. He is also a pending UFA.

Smith + Lazar + 2019 4th(NY Islanders)?

Smith + Pollock(22 year old C, RFA next year) + 2020 3rd?

Calgary just keeps kicking that goaltending can a little further down the road. Not the best strategy but it seems one they've committed to until one of Gillies/Parsons/Rittich are ready.

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Rumor is that Detroit doesn’t plan on trading Howard and he will be extended. This offer does nothing for the Wings

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Detroit's pretty much gonna want draft picks for their guys, and Calgary likely aint gonna gives those up considering they've done so far too often the last few years.

Just bad trade partners.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
34 year old pending UFA with respectable career goaltending stats of GAA: 2.50 SV% 0.915

What would it cost to get him to Calgary? Smith would need to be going back for cap reasons if we're assuming Detroit is not on his 8 team no trade list. He is also a pending UFA.

Calgary just keeps kicking that goaltending can a little further down the road. Not the best strategy but it seems one they've committed to until one of Gillies/Parsons/Rittich are ready.

I don't think either of these deals make sense for either team.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Nope by all accounts, It sounds like Detroit will keep Howard. And resign him to a short term deal here in the next few months or so.

Hmm, that seems surprising considering the Bernier signing. But I guess that's Holland's MO. Wonder if Howard wants to go to a more competitive team as his career winds down or if he's happy enough to stay in Detroit.

I don't think either of these deals make sense for either team.

Why? Calgary would definitely like an upgrade on their 1G. Good chance they give Smith some time to rebound but if he doesn't or only gets marginally better(hard to be much worse) there's little chance they're comfortable with the tandem they have now going into spring. Detroit is just entering a rebuild, might as well stock up on prospects and picks for the aging assets they do have. Not going to get a ton for a 34 year old G who is a pending UFA. B level prospect and a mid round pick isn't nothing :dunno: they don't seem to have a whole lot of center prospects with NHL upside either.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hmm, that seems surprising considering the Bernier signing. But I guess that's Holland's MO. Wonder if Howard wants to go to a more competitive team as his career winds down or if he's happy enough to stay in Detroit.

Why? Calgary would definitely like an upgrade on their 1G. Good chance they give Smith some time to rebound but if he doesn't or only gets marginally better(hard to be much worse) there's little chance they're comfortable with the tandem they have now going into spring. Detroit is just entering a rebuild, might as well stock up on prospects and picks for the aging assets they do have. Not going to get a ton for a 34 year old G who is a pending UFA. B level prospect and a mid round pick isn't nothing :dunno: they don't seem to have a whole lot of center prospects with NHL upside either.
Talk is that Howard loves Detroit and wants to stay, His kids were born there like Yzerman's. Talk is that our goalie prospects are still years away. But i would still much rather go younger next season. Maybe Robin Lehner there should be some good young goalies available next summer. Just not sure on Jimmy.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
it makes sense, but why the heck do the wings want to extend howard? literally makes zero sense. he would be a great improvement over smith

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I'd love to trade Jimmy for picks and see how he performs on a decent team but it sounds like Holland is planning on him being our anchor in net during the rebuild.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Those are reasonable offers but just yesterday Mlive posted an article saying the wings would like to resign him. My interpretation of this is that they would prefer to go with the goalie they like than add a 4th round pick and an unknown goalie.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Couldn't we acquire him as a rental and Howard waltzes back to Detroit in FA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad