Rumor: Jimmy Howard to Retire

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't understand my some "fans" make a point to go out of their way to criticize a player when they announces their retirement? I understand if you criticize someone while they are playing, and I also understand if someone criticizes them if there is a discussion regarding their career accomplishments, but to respond to a retirement announcement with insults is just shitty. I'm sorry, but some fans are dicks.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Holy crap! That's a Scott Stevens-worthy hit from Dats. And great payback for a dirty hit.

Why'd he get a misconduct for that??

Maybe a second late. Plus Euro rules.

I don't understand my some "fans" make a point to go out of their way to criticize a player when they announces their retirement? I understand if you criticize someone while they are playing, and I also understand if someone criticizes them if there is a discussion regarding their career accomplishments, but to respond to a retirement announcement with insults is just shitty. I'm sorry, but some fans are dicks.

Because Howard sucked all but one injury-prone year of his 6 year contract.
Because he showed up for work fat and out of shape.

And other reasons.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Maybe a second late. Plus Euro rules.

Because Howard sucked all but one injury-prone year of his 6 year contract.
Because he showed up for work fat and out of shape.

And other reasons.

For the record, I wasnt talking about you, and quite frankly I don’t care about the motive. When someone announces their retirement there is no justification to tweet back at them that they sucked, or that they are glad their “fat ass retired” etc.

And ya, what an asshole for getting injured all those times.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
For the record, I wasnt talking about you, and quite frankly I don’t care about the motive. When someone announces their retirement there is no justification to tweet back at them that they sucked, or that they are glad their “fat ass retired” etc.

And ya, what an asshole for getting injured all those times.

Ripping athletes on Twitter is pretty weak.
What I mean is - going on Twitter and responding to the athlete, personally. That's weak.
But when a team posts stuff.. they're going to get pushback.

I'd love to hear Mrazek talk openly about what he "learned" from Howard, what he learned from it, and how it shaped his relationships with other goalies later in his career.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
There is a thread on here from like 3-5 years ago where for a whole season I calculated game's he started that where 1 goal game's or two goal game's with the second being a EN goal and Howie's record was atrocious.

If I remember correctly which is just a guess given the time his record was like 5-20 or so, along those lines. It was back when we still had Mrazek I'm sure of
. It was my main point to him not being clutch.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There is a thread on here from like 3-5 years ago where for a whole season I calculated game's he started that where 1 goal game's or two goal game's with the second being a EN goal and Howie's record was atrocious.

If I remember correctly which is just a guess given the time his record was like 5-20 or so, along those lines. It was back when we still had Mrazek I'm sure of
. It was my main point to him not being clutch.
I mean, it doesn't really show anything unless we know how he does in "clutch" situations. What were the scores of those games? Did he let in late goals which caused those losses? What was Mrazek's record using the same metrics? What if you go based on more than 25 or so games?

You can twist almost any statistic into a positive/negative for a player. Hard to judge based on one stat that doesn't have proper context.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I mean, it doesn't really show anything unless we know how he does in "clutch" situations. What were the scores of those games? Did he let in late goals which caused those losses? What was Mrazek's record using the same metrics? What if you go based on more than 25 or so games?

You can twist almost any statistic into a positive/negative for a player. Hard to judge based on one stat that doesn't have proper context.

I can't remember of the top of my head but Mrazek had much better #'s. I put it in the thread. I only counted 1 goal game's and two goal game differential's with the second goal being a ENG either way. The #'s matched up with my eye test that year with what I thought.

I didn't test it over multiple years so I take no issue with a sample size point of contention. But it did match up with my eye test of at least 3-4 year's of watching him.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I can't remember of the top of my head but Mrazek had much better #'s. I put it in the thread. I only counted 1 goal game's and two goal game differential's with the second goal being a ENG either way. The #'s matched up with my eye test that year with what I thought.

I didn't test it over multiple years so I take no issue with a sample size point of contention. But it did match up with my eye test of at least 3-4 year's of watching him.
But what specifically do you think that stat by itself shows and why? Why is a one goal win a better determination of a goalie's "clutch" factor compared to a one goal loss?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
But what specifically do you think that stat by itself shows and why? Why is a one goal win a better determination of a goalie's "clutch" factor compared to a one goal loss?

If I recall correctly the issue was that the close game's it would seem that he would crap the bed on. So I focused mainly on the 1-2 goal game's because it would always appear to me that it would be a close game and more often than not he would find a way to lose. Similar to how he had a high frequency of letting in ending of a period goals say under three minutes left that would be momentum killer's. But the former mentioned wasn't tracked in the thread.

I only focused on close game's for that comparison.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
So I guess its official now? Wishing him the best in retirement, I do wish he got more love for being such a long time wing but I never warmed up to him. Good bad or indifferent we should have went with Mrazek and if he shit the bed we would have rebuilt sooner. Howared will be lumped in with Cleary and Abby those tainted bubble years where the previous roster's depth players became the next core as all the stars retired but maintained marching orders to tread water indefinitely in mediocrity.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Won’t forget the lockout season he had. Literally had no faith in anyone but him. Then after that the wheels fell off lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad