Rumor: Jimmy Howard to Retire

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think Howard is a goalie that could have been the guy on a cup winner the first 6 or 7 years of his career. Bummed that the guy got stuck on Detroit as the wheels were coming off.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think Howard is a goalie that could have been the guy on a cup winner the first 6 or 7 years of his career. Bummed that the guy got stuck on Detroit as the wheels were coming off.

Yeah, he had a handful of years where he would’ve been enough to bring it all home. It’s a tough world for goalies when you think about it.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I always felt that if you swapped him and Corey Crawford early in their careers, Jimmy would have been a cup winner and Crawford would have become the punching bag here. He was just here at the wrong time, and to be fair he did have his fair share of playoff blunders, we just weren’t good enough to bail him out.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

He was goalie for a couple pretty good teams. He faltered in a few key moments.
He was one of those guys who got paid well and long term despite not really proving his value.
Not as bad as Ericsson/Abdelkader, but in that group.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If you look at Jimmy's overall numbers they're pretty good.
Jimmy Howard Stats and News

You just opened up Pandora's box lol.

Jimmy's story is quite simple, he was an above average starting goalie who did have a few duds in the playoffs when he was young, who at around the halfway point in his career started to become injury prone. Then the cycle repeated itself every single season.....he played great, got injured, played like crap.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Worst player in NHL retires.

About time.

Remember how good he was on those early days until 2012 injuries. He was great.

One of my favourite. Really big part of my journey as a fan.

Could think I've seen 90% of his games.

Last edited:

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
You just opened up Pandora's box lol.

Jimmy's story is quite simple, he was an above average starting goalie who did have a few duds in the playoffs when he was young, who at around the halfway point in his career started to become injury prone. Then the cycle repeated itself every single season.....he played great, got injured, played like crap.
I realize all that

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He was goalie for a couple pretty good teams. He faltered in a few key moments.
He was one of those guys who got paid well and long term despite not really proving his value.
Not as bad as Ericsson/Abdelkader, but in that group.
Do you mind expanding on this? Lumping him with Abdelkader (only got his contract because of playing with Datsyuk who even acknowledged how much of an anchor he was) and Ericsson (who never even broke the 20 point barrier) seems pretty insane without demonstrating it in any way.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
shame about all the injuries he was one of the best Goalies in the league for a while earlier in his career(#1 in even strength save percentage in the 2 season period of 2011-13)

I can't help but wonder if the long running joke about how out of shape he always seemed to be in the offseason had something to do with contributing to those injuries though

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I realize all that

If my comments seemed to be abrasive/argumentative towards your main point, truthfully not my intention. Reading it back I can see it being taken that way.

I was trying to expand on your point because I agree with you.

The part about Pandora's box is because Howard is very polarizing around here and its just a matter of time before the anti Howard crowd begin ripping him to shreds for the thousandth time.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Define "solid". He flamed out pretty bad.. should have kept Mrazek...

Agreed we should have kept Mrazek, but not really fair to judge a goalie's career based on what he accomplished between 34-36 after his body broke down. In his prime when he was healthy, Howard was a very good goalie, one of the most underrated in the league quite frankly.

Reactions: derblaueClaus

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
the cycle repeated itself every single season.....he played great, got injured, played like crap.

So much this. Was so frustrating to see him start the season playing great, get injured around Dec/Jan, then come back a completely different player. Retirement is definitely the right option for him, must have been tough being completely clapped out last year and getting shellacked every night.

But he got way too much hate around here. I get it, it's Detroit. When the Lions lose, its the QB's fault. When the Wings lose, it's the goalies fault. but the hate was ridiculous at times. I still remember a game against the Rangers when we had an injury crisis so bad that Andersson was our 1C. We got outshot like 46-20 and lost 1-0, with their goal coming off a cross ice pass that deflected of a defencemans skates and between Howard's pads. Sure enough, in the PGT, it was full of comments blaming Jimmy for the loss....

At the end of the day the guy has retired in 3rd place for all time wins by a Detroit goalie with 246. Only Sawchuk and Osgood are ahead of him, and that's pretty damn impressive for an o6 franchise.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
If Holland was still running the show, Jimmy would be around for a couple of more seasons. Glad he isn’t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad