News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Blashill says he's been excellent this year

Ok?

Howard has been good this year. Doesn't change the fact that he's only okay on an game in, game out basis. He is quite good positionally, but his mobility is not anywhere near as good as some of the better goalies and his positioning isn't Carey Price level good to make up for that.

Like I said, he'll never be the issue on a team he's on. Good or bad. He's a goalie that is there and if you have a good team, he'll play well enough for you to maybe do something. If you have a bad team, he will look a lot worse than he is.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
While I don't want them to give any long term contract to Jimmy, he has been great this year, and kept things from getting truly ugly many times already. His play this year is definitely not a problem. Realistically based on play he is worth 4.5-5 a season, as he is just as good as most starters in this league, and if playing on a good team, his stats would reflect better, stats for goalies always look way worse when you are a bottom team.

Seems most like to pretend that he should only get 3 or so, but based on todays salaries that is not realistic in my opinion, as you don't even need to be great to get 4+. Look at Darling, much worse even before last years nightmare season than Howard, and he netted 4 plus per year on a 3 or 4 year deal. Howard is worth more than Darling, even with his injury issues.

However, I think it is time for us to move to someone else, as we shouldn't be resigning 34 year old veteran goalies, unless there is absolutely nothing better out there. I think let Bernier be the starter after the deadline, with Jimmy moved elsewhere, and then add a youngish goalie who needs a change of scenery and a chance as backup to Bernier for next season. Not Sateri, as he is too old already and by the time we will be a better team, will be in his early 30s.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Ok?

Howard has been good this year. Doesn't change the fact that he's only okay on an game in, game out basis. He is quite good positionally, but his mobility is not anywhere near as good as some of the better goalies and his positioning isn't Carey Price level good to make up for that.

Like I said, he'll never be the issue on a team he's on. Good or bad. He's a goalie that is there and if you have a good team, he'll play well enough for you to maybe do something. If you have a bad team, he will look a lot worse than he is.

Why are you parroting the same things back to me a 2nd time?

Your "Howard is average" talking points are swell and all, but his play this year has so far been excellent.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you take out the Montreal game, he has a .930 s% and a 2.38 GAA

Pre-injury Jimmy is a good Jimmy.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Jimmy has been superb this season.
Playing like this, if he wants a new contract in Detroit, he is likely to get it. I'm cool with that, barring a contender with goalie issues offering the moon for the guy.
If he keeps this play up, I could see a small bidding war for his services when playoff time rolls around, but it sounds like a new deal might be in place for him way before that. I think that might be a mistake as far as our team's more long-term needs are concerned, but we know Kenny, and if Jimmy wants to get the deal signed and he's playing good to great hockey, then the deal will be signed before other teams can start their offers.

I would really like to see who is interested and what is offered as the deadline approaches and I feel that is the path management should take, but I totally get it if he's locked up before that. I'm happy for Howard, would be nice to see him get an all-star nod this season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Matt Murray's injury is season ending (regular season), we could offer jimmy to Pittsburgh.

Retent 30% of Howard's salary/caphit and that makes his caphit to 3.704M. Then he will fit under the cap, when Murray is on LTIR with his 3.75M caphit.

Howard <> Sprong + 1st.

DEAL.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
No chance Holland trades Howard while they are in the playoff hunt. What kind of message does that send to the young players? And for Howard? It would really crush morale and we’ve seen around the league how hard it is to do anything positive without solid goaltending. Wait until they’re out of the playoff picture. You owe it to the team for performing well

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Ideal situation is that we ship him off at the deadline, then resign him in the summer for two years.

I predict that we don't trade him, resign him for three years @ $4.5M AAV and then everyone riots because he got three years instead of two and $4.5M AAV instead of $3.5M.
Don't forget the NTC/NMC Jimmy will get for signing for less $$

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
No chance Holland trades Howard while they are in the playoff hunt. What kind of message does that send to the young players? And for Howard? It would really crush morale and we’ve seen around the league how hard it is to do anything positive without solid goaltending. Wait until they’re out of the playoff picture. You owe it to the team for performing well
It tells the team that even though you're doing well now, the organization is more concerned with building a Stanley Cup contender than going on a long series of 1st round playoff losses. That it has learned from the past 6+ years of merely trying to get to the playoffs to maximize profits versus building a contending team. As a player, I can get behind that because I'm more concerned with winning in June than in November.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It tells the team that even though you're doing well now, the organization is more concerned with building a Stanley Cup contender than going on a long series of 1st round playoff losses. That it has learned from the past 6+ years of merely trying to get to the playoffs to maximize profits versus building a contending team. As a player, I can get behind that because I'm more concerned with winning in June than in November.

This is a fans perspective, not a players. Not even saying I disagree with the core of the arguement, but this type of thing pisses players off. Its one thing if you do it with a 3rd line winger, or a 2nd line winger, but you can't trade your starting goaltender when the team is playing this good. Now if it was an over-payment, maybe you could get away with it, but even then you still run the risk of hurting morale.

Reactions: ChrisReevesLegs

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Yes a 2nd round pick is the difference in a dynasty or a first round playoff exit

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yes a 2nd round pick is the difference in a dynasty or a first round playoff exit

Not to mention, if the Wings keep this up by the TDL and they are in a prime spot, it is worth it to keep the goaltender that got them there (not that I think that will happen).

If this streak proves to be a bit of an outlier in our season story, then we will regress to where we should be by the TDL (the most likely scenario), and when we trade him its no big deal. I agree with you that right now is just not that time.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If Matt Murray's injury is season ending (regular season), we could offer jimmy to Pittsburgh.

Retent 30% of Howard's salary/caphit and that makes his caphit to 3.704M. Then he will fit under the cap, when Murray is on LTIR with his 3.75M caphit.

Howard <> Sprong + 1st.

DEAL.
you should definitely go make a thread proposing that trade offer on the trade board.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Nothing of that is a players perspective.

From a players perspective, you have to win in November to win in June. They’re not keen on a team trading a good player who is playing well and who is a good locker room guy.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Ideal situation is that we ship him off at the deadline, then resign him in the summer for two years.

I predict that we don't trade him, resign him for three years @ $4.5M AAV and then everyone riots because he got three years instead of two and $4.5M AAV instead of $3.5M.
Sounds about Holland to me

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Nothing of that is a players perspective.

From a players perspective, you have to win in November to win in June. They’re not keen on a team trading a good player who is playing well and who is a good locker room guy.
But you're not going to trade him in November unless some team offers you a deal that you can't turn down.

And (this is in response to an early reply) if you get a 2nd round pick for a starting goaltender, you should be fired as a GM. Considering what we got for Tatar, we should be thinking a bit higher. And yes THAT kind of return could help us in the long run.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
After what I saw last night, the narrative of "we have to sign Jimmy because we have no goalie depth to bridge the gap blah blah blah" should be thrown out the window and burned. Losing him changes absolutely nothing. He doesn't determine if we make the playoffs next year or not so if he isn't willing to sign a TEAM FRIENDLY DEAL he can go. He is injury prone and 35+. This "loyalty" and the country club approach to our vets has to stop. /rant

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
The fact that Jimmy and Blash don’t have new deals despite some pretty emphatic statements from Ken about wanting them back makes me think Ken’s hands are tied until the Yzerman situation is worked out.

If Illitch wants Yzerman involed in the decision making process, it makes total sense.

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
After what I saw last night, the narrative of "we have to sign Jimmy because we have no goalie depth to bridge the gap blah blah blah" should be thrown out the window and burned. Losing him changes absolutely nothing. He doesn't determine if we make the playoffs next year or not so if he isn't willing to sign a TEAM FRIENDLY DEAL he can go. He is injury prone and 35+. This "loyalty" and the country club approach to our vets has to stop. /rant
Why does he need to sign a team friendly deal? The Wings are not going to be contenders or anything for a couple years at least. Signing Howard to a 2-3 year contract isn't going to hurt anything is it? with contracts coming off the books. As long as the Wings are able to resign the players they need to? I could be wrong

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
The fact that Jimmy and Blash don’t have new deals despite some pretty emphatic statements from Ken about wanting them back makes me think Ken’s hands are tied until the Yzerman situation is worked out.

If Illitch wants Yzerman involed in the decision making process, it makes total sense.

Or maybe they want more money than they're worth and Holland isn't giving in?

Hahahahahahaha ok ya, you're probably right.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

Well I mean we've heard Holland's tone go basically from "I'm the boss, that's all there is to it." when the news that Yzerman was leaving TB to "Well, you never know what's going to happen." right around the trade deadline. I think the writing is on the wall and if these two don't have new deals in place by the draft he's gone this year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Loyalty isn't a bad thing. And I sincerely worry about anyone who rant and rave about it being the worst thing in the world. Jimmy shouldn't get a contract just because he's been here a while and by his play this year, he earned one outside of that. I don't understand why everyone harps on country club atmosphere also... Country club atmosphere doesn't apply to Detroit now. They're bottom of the league because they're bereft of elite talent, not because they're loafing.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Why does he need to sign a team friendly deal? The Wings are not going to be contenders or anything for a couple years at least. Signing Howard to a 2-3 year contract isn't going to hurt anything is it? with contracts coming off the books. As long as the Wings are able to resign the players they need to? I could be wrong
He needs to sign a team friendly deal because he is easily replaceable. And "as good as he has been" he has been equally terrible in a lot of games is old and injury prone. He isn't a part of the future and we don't need him unless it's for very cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad