News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
WAR? for NHL goalies? When did anyone ever cite this as a different stat.
For which year? For six years?
For one year?
Compared to Mrazek? Which year? Because Mrazek has had good years and bad years in these six years.

Face it, Kliq.
You're grasping at straws.
Howard has been a bottom bottom 10, bottom 5 or even backup caliber goalie for most of his contract.

In no ****ing reality is that worth 6 years x $5.2M

You're the one arguing alone for three pages on this point, take stock of it perhaps your flawed method of attaching save percentage without actually qualifying it to starter numbers with a set of say 35 games has skewed the data. Is what it is. What you don't like is this stat establishes him within line of his pay, which is what @Henkka provided. You're trying to have an argument on your own set of terms while lecturing people that they aren't only looking at your view point. You are free to have it, just know that others think you're grasping at straws and a support of Mrazek who yes we all liked at some point but has serious issues at this level with consistency only further hurts the argument for me.

Is what it is, but it doesn't seem like you're trying to have an honest discussion any more. Your opinion is Howard sucks damn the torpedoes and full stop. Got it, but it really is one of the least egregious ones during the decline. We needed a solid NHL goal-tender and that is what Howard has been. When we had better parts he took us to the playoffs and won a round, we have a bad roster and he provides stability for our youngsters so we only have one or two Boston and Montreal games a year. Oh well, what we need to hope is Larsson can accelerate his development or we can find a bargain next year on the market. For now Howard hasn't done much good or bad and we didn't pay him like a superstar. We paid him to be what he was, I wish he was better, but he isn't really that lousy in the greater scheme of it barring a few really harrowing stretches of play during his tenure. Those generally happen to all goalies though as it is the nature of the position. Just seems one of the more interesting points to be riled up about. I disagreed with not exposing him in the expansion draft, but I don't really have issues outside of that during his tenure outside of health issues which again are really hard to criticize too hard. Though with Jimmy he would help himself by looking like he runs once or twice in the off-season.:laugh:

Jimmy has been a solid pro, we know what we are getting in him when he is healthy.

Reactions: kliq

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Here's what I don't understand.

Let's say I could snap my fingers, and every single person on this board suddenly agreed that Jimmy Howard was the worst goaltender in the history of the NHL, signed to the worst contract in the history of the NHL.

So what?

A better goaltender likely would have hindered draft stock.

There were no franchise-altering free agents likely to come here if Detroit had a better goalie and/or better cap situation.

The GM who signed him is gone.

At this point...who cares whether we should have kept Howard, kept Mrazek, or dumped both and signed Captain Kangaroo? What's done is done, and Yzerman will make decisions according to his plan going forward.

What if we just...

Let-It-Go-670x372.jpg

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Let's say I could snap my fingers, and every single person on this board suddenly agreed that Jimmy Howard was the worst goaltender in the history of the NHL, signed to the worst contract in the history of the NHL.

So what?

There were no franchise-altering free agents likely to come here if Detroit had a better goalie and/or better cap situation.

At this point...who cares whether we should have kept Howard, kept Mrazek, or dumped both and signed Captain Kangaroo? What's done is done, and Yzerman will make decisions according to his plan going forward.

What if we just...

Let-It-Go-670x372.jpg

Was Captain Kangaroo available? Source?

If I find out Holland passed on Kangaroo to keep Howard I will keep this thread alive for 3 more pages

Reactions: jkutswings

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
WAR? for NHL goalies? When did anyone ever cite this as a different stat.
For which year? For six years?
For one year?
Compared to Mrazek? Which year? Because Mrazek has had good years and bad years in these six years.

Face it, Kliq.
You're grasping at straws.
Howard has been a bottom bottom 10, bottom 5 or even backup caliber goalie for most of his contract.

In no ****ing reality is that worth 6 years x $5.2M

Yes, I am grasping at straws to prove that Jimmy Howard is an average mediocre goalie. I'm such a homer.

Can we please be done with this conversation now? You're just getting mad and repeating the same thing over and over and over again. In any debate I'm opening to hearing facts and I'm always willing to move on my position if the facts dictate that. You just keep citing Save % and GAA, while ignoring context, so whats the point??

As far as what @Henkka wrote, ask him/her. This was directed at you 2 pages ago, I figured you already read it.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

So what?

What if we just...

Let-It-Go-670x372.jpg

Well said. Honestly, I think its still a way for those who hate Holland to take shots at him. An admission that Howard is not bad, is possibly an admission that Holland didnt make a bad move choosing him over Mrazek.

Howard is a solid goalie when healthy. Problem is, every year he gets injured and then after returning from his injury he plays like dump.

Another good point. Its so hard to assess Howard by just looking at GAA and Save %, because we have all seen this over and over again. Guy plays lights out, gets hurt, plays like crap and when he plays like crap after his return from injury it screws with his stats. If someone wants to make the argument that Howard is injury prone and shouldn't be trusted as the starter, no argument from me.
But some of things being said about Howard in this thread are just ridiculous and seem like sour grapes due to their frustration with him, Holland, or a combination of both.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad