News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Mrazek doesn't want anything to do with Detroit and vice-versa. Time to turn the page.
I don't really know whats in his head and I'd certainly talk to scouts and coaches for their opinion on this beforehanfmd if I was in Hollands shoes. Like I said, I haven't watched in Carolina but if he made strides on his positioning game, I'd definitely be open to the idea.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Look up Tim Thomas

Don’t compare Mrazek to Tim Thomas. Mrazek is not a different player now than he was.

Tim Thomas was a super unique case.

Again, failing some HUGE change in his game, I don’t want him anywhere near this roster, for even a league minimum deal

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Don’t compare Mrazek to Tim Thomas. Mrazek is not a different player now than he was.

Tim Thomas was a super unique case.

Again, failing some HUGE change in his game, I don’t want him anywhere near this roster, for even a league minimum deal
I agree with you in concept that he has to display progress towards positioning. Where I draw a line though is Tim Thomas being some untouchable example. He's one of the best sure but I don't think people just always stop improving at a certain age. Statistically speaking, sure but, it happens often enough where judging cases individually is a better way in making these decisions IMO. Again though, my stance greatly depends on how he played in Carolina. Their fans seemed to like what they saw. Although, so did this fanbase for a while... My question would be here, did you saw him play in Carolina to have such a strong stance on this matter?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I agree with you in concept that he has to display progress towards positioning. Where I draw a line though is Tim Thomas being some untouchable example. He's one of the best sure but I don't think people just always stop improving at a certain age. Statistically speaking, sure but, it happens often enough where judging cases individually is a better way in making these decisions IMO. Again though, my stance greatly depends on how he played in Carolina. Their fans seemed to like what they saw. Although, so did this fanbase for a while... My question would be here, did you saw him play in Carolina to have such a strong stance on this matter?

It's not that people stop improving. It's that you don't sign older players with the expectation that they pull a Tim Thomas. If a guy at 28 is a middling backup... he's probably going to be a middling backup at 29, 30, and further.

That's a really weak reason to want to pull Petr Mrazek back to your team.

And I couldn't give a flying fig about what fans like about a goalie. Fans love the guy who flop around and make spectacular saves. Actual good goalies are actually quite boring to watch on a game in, game out basis. Guys like Jonathan Quick who are fabulous goalies who are good because athleticism are very very much the exception. I have a strong stance because of what he did in Detroit. I haven't watched him in Carolina, but the amount of change he'd have to make to his game to actually be a worthwhile longterm starter would be so ludicrous to imagine that they'd happen in just a year and a half. He would have to rebuild from the ground up his play and I don't see that happening.

So, I could be talking out of my ass, because I haven't watched Carolina games, but just knowledge of the way guys go about their games leads me to believe it to be the case.

And still, I'd say that the upside isn't there with Mrazek, because the whole reason he looked any good in Detroit was that he was allowed to free-wheel and when you do that, you'll have strings of games where you are unstoppable. When you go away from what makes you play well and are comfortable with, it generally doesn't presage good things for your play... and I don't see Mrazek making the sacrifices in his game to completely change his outlook on goaltending. Particularly not 1 3/4 seasons after he left Detroit a broken mess.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
It's not that people stop improving. It's that you don't sign older players with the expectation that they pull a Tim Thomas. If a guy at 28 is a middling backup... he's probably going to be a middling backup at 29, 30, and further.

That's a really weak reason to want to pull Petr Mrazek back to your team.

And I couldn't give a flying fig about what fans like about a goalie. Fans love the guy who flop around and make spectacular saves. Actual good goalies are actually quite boring to watch on a game in, game out basis. Guys like Jonathan Quick who are fabulous goalies who are good because athleticism are very very much the exception. I have a strong stance because of what he did in Detroit. I haven't watched him in Carolina, but the amount of change he'd have to make to his game to actually be a worthwhile longterm starter would be so ludicrous to imagine that they'd happen in just a year and a half. He would have to rebuild from the ground up his play and I don't see that happening.

So, I could be talking out of my ass, because I haven't watched Carolina games, but just knowledge of the way guys go about their games leads me to believe it to be the case.

And still, I'd say that the upside isn't there with Mrazek, because the whole reason he looked any good in Detroit was that he was allowed to free-wheel and when you do that, you'll have strings of games where you are unstoppable. When you go away from what makes you play well and are comfortable with, it generally doesn't presage good things for your play... and I don't see Mrazek making the sacrifices in his game to completely change his outlook on goaltending. Particularly not 1 3/4 seasons after he left Detroit a broken mess.

I certainly don't feel strongly one way or another. The options aren't really great either so, just a thought. There's Bob but thats something to go after if we can have a team where his presence makes us competitive IMO. Who knows when that will be though as stars do have to align quite a bit. Though, if we land Karlsson, I think Bob should definitely be targeted as well. Outside of thay, there's Jimmy, Lehner and a few others in the same mold.
As for Mrazek, I really don't think its all that difficult to stop chasing guys behind the net ot constantly trying to cheat but it requires a mental shift on his part and I think him being a little older, he might mature. He was chasing flash here, and that was his undoing in my view.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Letting Howard walk and signing another mediocre goalie in free agency is just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic because "lel vets bad cut them all."

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Chris Osgood just said in the post-game show that he thinks it will be 3 years at about 3.8. I'd be a little disappointed in that. I think that third year is a little risky to take for granted at this point.

Last edited:

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
If it comes in around the low 4 million dollar range. Howard would be the 25th highest paid goalie. For what he provides on the ice, I would say that is a value contract. 3 years is a little to long for me, but even then it's not the worst contract on this team. If it's a one or two year deal I'll call it a win. He's not holding anyone back at this point.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Ok I didn't know that lol... but I will be pissed if he gets a 3 year deal like Ozzie thinks he might ha
Yeah, I mean nobody including Howard can say that he will be able to play at 38. So, what would be unfair about 2-year extension with an option to extend for another season depending on performance? Anything beyond that is a bit risky to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad