In Memoriam Jimmy Hayes (1989-2021) - Updated 17 October

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Garbage!

How many lives do they save every day along with fire departments using Narcan on the spot? Keep shiting on law enforcement that's working so well.
I have never, ever, seen anyone, ever shit on fire departments. Really not sure how they get roped in to the debate about police and law enforcement reform - which is desperately needed when we criminalize addiction.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yeah, but so much of the industry, especially law enforcement/criminal justice, has operated under the assumption that the individual is to blame. The individual is weak. The individual has a moral failing.

Meanwhile, anyone with a shred of empathy and compassion realized that it isn't really the case.

Are you law enforcement when you make comments like they think the person is to blame? The ones I know put the victim first and their well being, personal judgement doesn’t enter the picture.

just wondering if this is personal opinion or you know actual people that feel this way

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I have never, ever, seen anyone, ever shit on fire departments. Really not sure how they get roped in to the debate about police and law enforcement reform - which is desperately needed when we criminalize addiction.

take the laws off the books then. You cannot expect a law officer to selectively enforce laws they may or may not agree with.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Until I started working with kids who have been through abuse and neglect, I always believed that alcohol and marijuana were gateway drugs.

But now it’s clear to me that trauma is the gateway to substance use.

Mental trauma from neglect and mistreatment and physical trauma, not only through physical and sexual abuse….but also the trauma that a body endures from injury.

Spot on. The endless debates about how to deal with drugs in terms of law enforcement, social policy etc. largely miss the key point - that most drug use is driven by trauma, neglect, mental health issues, or an absence of other things that provide self-worth and fulfilment. As long as there are people who suffer, and as long as other means of alleviating that suffering are inadequate, people will use drugs. And they can be rich or poor, young or old, from a good neighborhood or bad, supposedly successful in life or a frequent 'failure' - as long as there is hurt or some form of angst, the possibility of drugs will be there.

Of course there are many great initiatives, programs and people who do fantastic, effective work in supporting addicts and users and reducing or ceasing use by particular individuals. But ultimately the things that will help most to reduce consumption and addiction have very little to do with drugs themselves - better family and child services, better education and employment opportunities, better mental health support, a wiser, more considerate medical/pharmaceutical industry, programs and efforts that break cycles of intergenerational trauma and abuse. Nothing's going to be a silver bullet - by all accounts poor Jimmy Hayes had a great family and support network and a more financially comfortable life than most, and unfortunately it still wasn't enough - but they're still worth investing in whether they save/improve just 10 lives or millions.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Fentynal should be banned worldwide. That shit is destructive

Worse one now back w-18.Crisis centre's scared to death in places like Vancouvers East end cause you can at least inject Naloxone to help counter the Fentyal OD if in time but this W-18 your in big trouble cause pretty sure its not an opiate so naloxone will not work with it.Anyways it's wise to avoid drugs and stay safe .My 2 cents.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Fairly certain Fentanyl has legitimate medical purposes, it just f***ing sucks that scumbags have access to it and can cut their drugs with it

And now a couple more kids don’t have their father. Because of a selfish, greedy scumbag who cut his shit. What gives me solace is that those kids have an entire NHL community there for them…so while they may not have their father they’ll have hundreds of aunts and uncles

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Fairly certain Fentanyl has legitimate medical purposes, it just f***ing sucks that scumbags have access to it and can cut their drugs with it

And now a couple more kids don’t have their father. Because of a selfish, greedy scumbag who cut his shit. What gives me solace is that those kids have an entire NHL community there for them…so while they may not have their father they’ll have hundreds of aunts and uncles
I believe it's offered as a pre surgery anesthetic.

Reactions: Kegs

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I have to give a lot of credit to the family for making the matter public in order to try to reduce stigma and help prevent this in the future. They had every right to keep this private, and will surely endure some painful commentary from ignorant people for the effort. I can only hope the effort is rewarded with getting some positive change.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It's only legitimate use is for severe breakthrough pain which cannot be managed with traditional opioids. Stuff like end of life cancer pain, trauma, burns, etc.
They gave it to my kid when she broke her arm.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's only legitimate use is for severe breakthrough pain which cannot be managed with traditional opioids. Stuff like end of life cancer pain, trauma, burns, etc.

yeah I did some research, they use or have used fentanyl lozenges to treat IED casualties. That kind of puts the power of the drug all into perspective. I believe they gave it to my buddy when he broke his neck in a car wreck. It’s truly awful that it’s fallen into the wrong hands and now we have this story to add to the countless other tragic stories that are way too prevalent nowadays

Reactions: BMC

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I'm glad they revealed the cause because, like others, I hope it educates and even scares people.
An old teammate and close friend of mine got hooked years back from injuries, and he was tough as nails. When I found out even he couldn't handle it, that was a life changing moment.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thanks but I`m simply a man who hit bottom, reached out and with the help, love and support from virtual strangers, got clean and sober and since April 3, 2005, I try to be there for the next man/woman who reaches out, I`m one of the very fortunate one`s who made it
and we are all happy you did make it !

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I’ve been sober for 7 years.

Never touched anything but booze, but that was plenty.

Both of my parents suffered from mental health and substance abuse issues. My dad spent a chunk of time in jail for domestic violence during my high school years. I lost two uncles to suicide who also struggled with substance abuse and mental health.

I often think about how easily I could have gone down that same path.

I can only chalk it up to the grace of God that I was able to quit cold turkey.
Man your a courageous person for sharing. Thank you

Reactions: SPB2776 and sarge88

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I have to give a lot of credit to the family for making the matter public in order to try to reduce stigma and help prevent this in the future. They had every right to keep this private, and will surely endure some painful commentary from ignorant people for the effort. I can only hope the effort is rewarded with getting some positive change.
Looks like Kevin Sr. has really turned the page on his shady past, good for him

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I see more and more the "getting hooked on opioids due to injury" discussion and I know it is very important for education. But beyond that, I hope society is careful not to lean towards somehow dividing substance abuse problems into classes of moral origin.

Addiction and alcoholism is what it is, regardless. It's devastating and nobody wants it -- and in practice it matters little how they start/manifest themselves. It is not immoral or weak to have an addiction to alcohol or drugs. And one path to that end is not more understandable (or somehow more "OK") than another. For anyone who does not have an alcohol or drug problem I would suggest a few prayers of gratitude to celebrate your good fortune.

My kids have had the benefit of never seeing their dad drink. I like to think that I am a good husband, friend, and father --i.e. just an average person. However my history tells me well that if I have one drink today, or one codeine pill, or whatever...... the rodeo starts again. It matters not whether I take that drink or drug for a "good" reason (he was just celebrating his daughters wedding ..... or he had a bad knee injury) or a "bad" reason (he saw the drink on the table and just picked it up -- I bet if you asked him yourself he'd not be able to tell you why today was different). Result is the same -- buckle up everyone, it's going to get bumpy.

Substance addictions and alcoholism affect all manner of people and do not in and of themselves make people good, bad, brave, cowardly, tough, weak, or anything at all.

RIP Jimmy Hayes - I mourn for your young children.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I see more and more the "getting hooked on opioids due to injury" discussion and I know it is very important for education. But beyond that, I hope society is careful not to lean towards somehow dividing substance abuse problems into classes of moral origin.

Addiction and alcoholism is what it is, regardless. It's devastating and nobody wants it -- and in practice it matters little how they start/manifest themselves. It is not immoral or weak to have an addiction to alcohol or drugs. And one path to that end is not more understandable (or somehow more "OK") than another. For anyone who does not have an alcohol or drug problem I would suggest a few prayers of gratitude to celebrate your good fortune.

My kids have had the benefit of never seeing their dad drink. I like to think that I am a good husband, friend, and father --i.e. just an average person. However my history tells me well that if I have one drink today, or one codeine pill, or whatever...... the rodeo starts again. It matters not whether I take that drink or drug for a "good" reason (he was just celebrating his daughters wedding ..... or he had a bad knee injury) or a "bad" reason (he saw the drink on the table and just picked it up -- I bet if you asked him yourself he'd not be able to tell you why today was different). Result is the same -- buckle up everyone, it's going to get bumpy.

Substance addictions and alcoholism affect all manner of people and do not in and of themselves make people good, bad, brave, cowardly, tough, weak, or anything at all.

RIP Jimmy Hayes - I mourn for your young children.

I worry for my kids --- there is alcoholism on both sides of our family. Fortunately, (maybe unfortunately?) everyone who was afflicted either got sober before they were born or passed before they were old enough to remember them.

Either way -- the gene or whatever -- is embedded in their DNA. I never let my kids take an opiod to manage the pain from their sports injuries because of this fear. Fortunately, neither has suffered from a major injury thus far.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I worry for my kids --- there is alcoholism on both sides of our family. Fortunately, (maybe unfortunately?) everyone who was afflicted either got sober before they were born or passed before they were old enough to remember them.

Either way -- the gene or whatever -- is embedded in their DNA. I never let my kids take an opiod to manage the pain from their sports injuries because of this fear. Fortunately, neither has suffered from a major injury thus far.
I think that's really wise. DNA is no question a big deal and a factor -- certainly in my family and my kids fall in the same category as yours.

I've had opioids prescribed twice for surgery over the past many years. In both cases Mrs. Number8 kept them somewhere and I'd ask if I needed -- which really was just first 24 hours. Amazing how body can heal if we push it to do so a little bit.

Doctor's have prescribed these things like candy for years. Thankfully I think this is changing.

Reactions: Ladyfan and sarge88

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think that's really wise. DNA is no question a big deal and a factor -- certainly in my family and my kids fall in the same category as yours.

I've had opioids prescribed twice for surgery over the past many years. In both cases Mrs. Number8 kept them somewhere and I'd ask if I needed -- which really was just first 24 hours. Amazing how body can heal if we push it to do so a little bit.

Doctor's have prescribed these things like candy for years. Thankfully I think this is changing.

I once had an urgent care doc write me Percocet WITH A REFILL for strep. I challenged him on it and he said it was already sent to cvs and my strep was as bad as he's ever seen.

I asked him to cancel it and I'll stick with the Penicillin and otc lozenges

Nobody should have to be in pain, so I'm all for necessary medications. Keyword being necessary.

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad