Signing(s): Jimmy Garoppolo signs huge extension with the 49ers (5 years, $137.5 million)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So as a quick perusal, it's just $10 million more the next 2 years than if he was franchised. So if he sucks, it's really just a guaranteed loss of $10 million. If's he good, they've got him.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I don't think Sherman's going anywhere, unless hes's PUP. We need him.
Earl may force a decision on the other hand and with no Kam I'm definitely on board with chasing Eric Reid.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think Sherman's going anywhere, unless hes's PUP. We need him.
Earl may force a decision on the other hand and with no Kam I'm definitely on board with chasing Eric Reid.

I doubt both or either would get cut. Yes, cutting them frees.cap space but they don't have guys to replace them.

SF could have franchised Jimmy to see what he can do in a full season. But, they opted to go long term. I don't see him as another osweiler, so they should be ok.

No chance the niners were going to lose him. They always had the franchise tag option.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
he beat the hapless Bears & Texans, then the 9-7 Titans, then the already-clinched-the-division Jags, and then the Rams who didn't play a bunch of starters

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I doubt both or either would get cut. Yes, cutting them frees.cap space but they don't have guys to replace them.

SF could have franchised Jimmy to see what he can do in a full season. But, they opted to go long term. I don't see him as another osweiler, so they should be ok.

No chance the niners were going to lose him. They always had the franchise tag option.

Why use a franchise tag and sour a relationship at the most important position in the league?

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's a negotiation tactic. To let the players agent know that it's an option.

Always better to come to a long term agreement with the QB. It's a lot of money for someone who has less than half a season of starts.

I could understand the Carr contract. 3 year starter and got better each season, culminating in a playoff appearance.

Just surprised he got more than Carr.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Aaron Rodgers was extended after his first 7 starts as well so its not unusual. The 49ers weren't trying to "win" a deal. That's how you end up with a disgruntled player and an agent that will drive up the price and a soiled rep. That's what happened to Baalke after the Harbaugh fiasco.

Reactions: Voight

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I already think Jimmy G has proven to be pretty good. I think his ceiling is very high. This is a great move by SF. No brainer.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's a negotiation tactic. To let the players agent know that it's an option.

Always better to come to a long term agreement with the QB. It's a lot of money for someone who has less than half a season of starts.

I could understand the Carr contract. 3 year starter and got better each season, culminating in a playoff appearance.

Just surprised he got more than Carr.

He got more than Carr (and every other QB) because somebody was going to pay him that. He has more potential than say Osweiler 2 years ago and the league is starved for quality QBs, basically any good QB whos contract is up going forward will be getting this kind of money.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
As a Pats fan, I'm happy Jimmy got paid AND landed in a great situation.

Pats could have gotten a lot more in return from Cleveland, but f*** that sh*thole franchise. Bill and the Pats FO did Jimmy a huge favor by shipping him to SF for less.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I almost feel like part of that is because Belichick also has a grudge towards the Browns for canning him.

Win-win. He doesn't send Jimmy into the pits of hell and he gets to screw them over further (as if that's somehow possible with the Browns these days)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As a Pats fan, I'm happy Jimmy got paid AND landed in a great situation.

Pats could have gotten a lot more in return from Cleveland, but **** that sh*thole franchise. Bill and the Pats FO did Jimmy a huge favor by shipping him to SF for less.

They wanted to keep him as long as possible as an insurance policy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad