Signing(s): Jimmy Garoppolo signs huge extension with the 49ers (5 years, $137.5 million)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Pretty crazy for a guy that's still so unproven.

But this is why there has been no reason to over-react every time a player in the last 20 years signs to "the biggest contract in history at his position". Prices go up. Players get paid. He'll be the 10th highest paid in 2 years.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
200w.webp

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's a lot of money for what he has done so far but I think he's going to be really good. I wonder how much extra money those last few games made him.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Holy crap.

I know the dude was insanely overrated but the highest paid deal? That is a bit of a surprise.

Although i guess it isn't the same as in hockey or other sports since so much of football deals are just bogus money anyways. But still that seems like a lot for a guy with limited time and good not great play/production in those games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's a lot of money for what he has done so far but I think he's going to be really good. I wonder how much extra money those last few games made him.

Consider that Derek Carr got $125 mill Iver 5 years with $70 mill guaranteed. He started 47/48 games through years 1-3 of his rookie deal and started 15 games last season. So, 62 starts before his new deal kicks in.

Jimmy, made pretty much the same on the rookie deal as both were 2nd round picks. He starts 7 games and gets $12.5 million more. That's 55 games less wear and tear in his body.

Should expect his guaranteed money to be around $75-$80 mill.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
According to spotrac, 74 million is guaranteed.
That's probably what is expected.

Imagine it's a large signing bonus, which gets allocated against the cap evenly for 5 years. And he'll get roster bonuses for being in the team at specified dates.

His 1st and 2nd year base salary should be guaranteed, along with a good chunk of year 3. That should get to the $74 million mark.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The dude was going to get paid, and he's looked very good in his 6 starts, but it's been only 6 starts.

The 49ers don't really have a better option to take though so it's either this or let someone who you traded a draft pick walk while having no real option to put in that spot.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The 49ers don't really have a better option to take though so it's either this or let someone who you traded a draft pick walk while having no real option to put in that spot.

Yeah, there wasn't much they could do, they just better hope he's the real deal.

Just saying, in general, I agree that these inflated QB contracts are not sustainable.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, there wasn't much they could do, they just better hope he's the real deal.

Just saying, in general, I agree that these inflated QB contracts are not sustainable.

That all depends on how the NFL's revenues go but in this particular case, a 5 year deal isn't too awful for this kind of a thing. Those types of things tend to correct itself in time.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That all depends on how the NFL's revenues go but in this particular case, a 5 year deal isn't too awful for this kind of a thing. Those types of things tend to correct itself in time.

When we're talking percentage of the cap, revenues don't really matter. And if they ever go down, and the cap goes with it, some of these teams could be in a world of hurt with so much money tied up in QBs leaving them struggling to fill out the rest of their team with players not on rookie contracts.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
When we're talking percentage of the cap, revenues don't really matter. And if they ever go down, and the cap goes with it, some of these teams could be in a world of hurt with so much money tied up in QBs leaving them struggling to fill out the rest of their team with players not on rookie contracts.

Well when the revenues go up, the cap goes up and when the cap goes up what a static contract ends up being as a percentage of said cap will change. The league has yet to go anywhere but up in the cap figure without extenuating circumstances. Yeah, that's going to change eventually but it's tough to say when that will be and in the 49ers' case, this won't hurt them because of how little they have on the books right now. But I agree it's probably not a habit for all teams to get into.

Reactions: RedRenegade

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

The dude was going to get paid, and he's looked very good in his 6 starts, but it's been only 6 starts.

It's kind of pathetic how quickly everyone in the media can go from "it's a quarterback's league, if you don't have one, you're nothing." to "look at Nick Foles! You don't need a QB!"

...all based on a handful of games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad