Confirmed with Link: Jim Watson and Rod Brind'Amour named to the Flyers Hall of Fame; Timonen feted Oct 14

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
What I tell ya, it was almost a forgone conclusion it be against carolina.

Can't wait for that, will be fun.

I'd bet he still be the best faceoff man on the team right now if he were to suit up.

Should be great nights... I believe Jimmy played Juniors in Calgary, so I assume that is why that Game was selected.

BTW; with there being 2015 and 2016 inductions does that mean that Brindy gets listed alongside Rico under 2015? LOL... Sort on odd situation with them both going in the same Year, but in Different Seasons. ;)

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The real question is, will they retire Pronger's number? He only played three short seasons here, but his time was memorable. I don't think they will. If they would have won in '10 I think he'd be going up, but not here. Probably STL, maybe ANA.

Not a chance.

You don't get your number retired here unless you bring home a cup. The only one that doesn't fit that qualification is Mark Howe who played the majority of his NHL career here and is a HHOF member.

If Lindros ever gets inducted I could see 88 going to the rafters, no one has worn it since anyway (it would have been interesting if Patty Kane ended up here).

The only other # I think that is off limits is Pelle Lindbergh's #31. I don't think you will see it in the rafters ever but I also don't think you'll ever see it on the ice again either.

I like that the Flyers are super strict about who's #s get retired.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Jim Watson not being in the Hall has been a peculiar omission for oh so many years.

WORD... it has never made sense to anyone who was around back in the day... or who has read up on the Era.

I wonder if the questioning of that omission on Forums such as this... as well as Twitter... reached their ears and made them rectify it. God knows some of us have bltched about it often.

That said, in discussing this with messages with Bill Meltzer -- who has also been a staunch supporter of Jimmy -- I learned that the Flyers Alumni were pushing for his induction... but exactly which Alumni members I have no clue.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
WORD... it has never made sense to anyone who was around back in the day... or who has read up on the Era.

I wonder if the questioning of that omission on Forums such as this... as well as Twitter... reached their ears and made them rectify it. God knows some of us have bltched about it often.

That said, in discussing this with messages with Bill Meltzer -- who has also been a staunch supporter of Jimmy -- I learned that the Flyers Alumni were pushing for his induction... but exactly which Alumni members I have no clue.

We had a thread from earlier in 2015. Bob Clarke's exact words when asked about the second best d-man in team history:

“After Mark Howe, between either Eric Desjardins and Jimmy Watson would be awfully close,” said Bob Clarke, who played with these guys, traded for these guys. “Kimmo Timonen would be close, too, Desjardins as the better defensive guy, Kimmo the better offensive guy, but Desjardins was a defensive defenseman who could also score, just didn’t try to rush the offense, similar to Mark that way.

I don't think people realized how consistent Jim Watson played. He wasn't flashy or dynamic but to call him dependable would be an understatement.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
We had a thread from earlier in 2015. Bob Clarke's exact words when asked about the second best d-man in team history:

I don't think people realized how consistent Jim Watson played. He wasn't flashy or dynamic but to call him dependable would be an understatement.

I missed that and never heard the quote before... thanks... Clarkie should know.

Van Imp anchored the Defense of the three SCF Teams and the entire D were pretty much rock solid... but the young Jimmy Watson to me was the D-man who was the steady all around who could be counted on Game in and Game out; he showed up and was there when most needed. There may have been some who were better in a particular aspect, but none that was as solid in every aspect, IMO.

What prevented Jimmy from being more of a household name today and kept his numbers down was the fact that his career was not able to last as long as it would have had his injuries not finally forced his retirement -- IIRC it was his back, but I could be wrong without double checking on it -- I believe half his Seasons earned him an All-Star nod.

Personally he was one of my favorites among a group of characters that garnered much more attention from the fans and he never got the respect he deserved from the casual fans who were swept up by the Broad Street Bullies and the personalities that abounded on the Team... But the more grounded fans who were there before the Bullies and stayed well after recognized his worth and appreciated him. To us his snub was downright a crime... and to me, seeing his more outspoken and outgoing brother Joe get in the Flyers Hall a couple decades back while Jimmy seemed to not even be considered merely added salt to our wounds.

This day in my eyes is vindication that can never be fully explained... a day that I feared might never arrive as the younger fans pushed for the great players that they grew up with and followed... To most of the younger fans Jimmy is merely a name they hear the old farts like me speak of with fondness.

... Jimmy, you are finally where you have so long belonged... beside the other great players who wore the Orange and Black. :yo:

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Not a chance.

You don't get your number retired here unless you bring home a cup. The only one that doesn't fit that qualification is Mark Howe who played the majority of his NHL career here and is a HHOF member.

If Lindros ever gets inducted I could see 88 going to the rafters, no one has worn it since anyway (it would have been interesting if Patty Kane ended up here).

The only other # I think that is off limits is Pelle Lindbergh's #31. I don't think you will see it in the rafters ever but I also don't think you'll ever see it on the ice again either.

I like that the Flyers are super strict about who's #s get retired.
as well they should. Ring of honor stuff is great and recognize's players for great careers...but number retirement is another level.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I missed that and never heard the quote before... thanks... Clarkie should know.

Van Imp anchored the Defense of the three SCF Teams and the entire D were pretty much rock solid... but the young Jimmy Watson to me was the D-man who was the steady all around who could be counted on Game in and Game out; he showed up and was there when most needed. There may have been some who were better in a particular aspect, but none that was as solid in every aspect, IMO.

What prevented Jimmy from being more of a household name today and kept his numbers down was the fact that his career was not able to last as long as it would have had his injuries not finally forced his retirement -- IIRC it was his back, but I could be wrong without double checking on it -- I believe half his Seasons earned him an All-Star nod.

Personally he was one of my favorites among a group of characters that garnered much more attention from the fans and he never got the respect he deserved from the casual fans who were swept up by the Broad Street Bullies and the personalities that abounded on the Team... But the more grounded fans who were there before the Bullies and stayed well after recognized his worth and appreciated him. To us his snub was downright a crime... and to me, seeing his more outspoken and outgoing brother Joe get in the Flyers Hall a couple decades back while Jimmy seemed to not even be considered merely added salt to our wounds.

This day in my eyes is vindication that can never be fully explained... a day that I feared might never arrive as the younger fans pushed for the great players that they grew up with and followed... To most of the younger fans Jimmy is merely a name they hear the old farts like me speak of with fondness.

... Jimmy, you are finally where you have so long belonged... beside the other great players who wore the Orange and Black. :yo:

Absolutely, it was his back though he had other injuries. IIRC, he told a story of how he tried to play in a preseason game and couldn't move, something beyond lack of mobility. It was at that moment he decided to retire. He was one of the many Flyers' players to have an on-ice eye injury, sticked by Jerry Butler which supposedly broke his contact lens in half. It caused permanent damage but not to the point where he had to retire from that.

Maybe Joe said he wouldn't stop talking unless his brother was selected. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

CelticPride

Jan 12, 2015
Both deserve it, the Brind'Amour trade was depressing but I'm glad he got the cup with Carolina, he was a true leader.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
And of course, CSN shows an image of Joe and captions it as Jim. The "4" should be a giveaway.

ap-jim-watson-rod-brindamour-philadelphia-flyers-nhl.jpg

Jim Watson (left) and Rod Brind'Amour will be inducted into the Flyers' Hall of fame next season, the club announced Tuesday. (AP)
“Jimmy was a great defenseman and teammate, not to mention a two-time Stanley Cup champion and a five-time All-Star,” Flyers president Paul Holmgren said.

“He was an extremely competitive player who could always anticipate the action. We’re very pleased that he gets to join his brother Joe in the Flyers Hall of Fame.”

Watson’s career plus-minus total is the fifth-best in Flyers history. The 186 points currently rank 10th among defensemen in Flyers history, while the 613 games played currently rank him 15th overall in team history, fifth among defensemen.

“I am absolutely thrilled and humbled by the whole thing,” Watson said. “This is a tremendous honor and I am very excited to be a part of the Flyers Hall of Fame. Gosh, it is amazing how it all evolved, but here we are and I am extremely proud to be getting inducted. What a wonderful honor.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...tson-rod-brindamour-selected-flyers-hall-fame

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Surprised Brind'Amour is getting in this 'soon.' Figured they might wait a while until he was doing something else. He was my favorite player growing up. Definitely not missing that one.

Watson as well, long overdue.

Kimmo will get in one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad