Confirmed with Link: Jim Watson and Rod Brind'Amour named to the Flyers Hall of Fame; Timonen feted Oct 14

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer · 8m8 minutes ago
The next two inductees into the Flyers Hall of Fame per @BroadStBull : Jim Watson and Rod Brind'Amour.

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull · 10m10 minutes ago
Jimmy Watson (long overdue) and Rod Brind 'Amour going into #Flyers Hall of Fame.

I have championed Jimmy Watson's enshrinement for so many years now... me and Bill Meltzer, my dear ally... and now it appears to be happening... I'm so thrilled. Jimmy has been overlooked for way too many years and deserves enshrinement completely.

That said, I expect Brindy to get all the attention... and he does deserve much, I must agree.

Congratulations to both worthy Flyers. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :yo:

EDIT: Official link... http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772983&navid=DL|PHI|home

--------------------------

Brind'Amour Flyers Hall of Fame sked for Nov. 23 vs CAR and Watson is on Feb. 29 vs CAL; Timonen retirement ceremony is Oct. 14 vs CHI

Source: Tim P's Twitter

--------------------------

JimWatson-RBA_20150630.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The real question is, will they retire Pronger's number? He only played three short seasons here, but his time was memorable. I don't think they will. If they would have won in '10 I think he'd be going up, but not here. Probably STL, maybe ANA.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Never should have traded Brindy. Oh well.

While that may be true, the return of Primeau was impressive as it turned out... and would be more so had his career not been shortened by the PCS effects.

But that certainly should not in any way detract from Rod's induction... The Avs wanted Brindy in the Lindros deal and he was needed to pry away Primeau; his worth was great in the NHL, and he proved that to be deserved by the time he retired a Cup Champion and great Captain/Leader.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The real question is, will they retire Pronger's number? He only played three short seasons here, but his time was memorable. I don't think they will. If they would have won in '10 I think he'd be going up, but not here. Probably STL, maybe ANA.

Too few Seasons as a Flyer IMO... I believe Recchi stands a better chance for that. It is so tough in this Organization on number retirement, and rightfully so IMO.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Brind'Amour is my all-time favorite player...can't wait to see his induction!

Love his play-style.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
FLYERS HALL OF FAME MEMBERS

1988 - Bob Clarke and Bernie Parent
1989 - Bill Barber, Ed Snider and Keith Allen
1990 - Rick MacLeish and Fred Shero
1991 - Barry Ashbee and Gary Dornhoefer
1992 - Reggie Leach and Gene Hart
1993 - Joe Scott and Ed Van Impe
1994 - Tim Kerr
1996 - Joe Watson
1999 - Brian Propp
2001 - Mark Howe
2004 - Dave Poulin
2008 - Ron Hextall
2009 - Dave Schultz
2014 - Eric Lindros and John LeClair
2015 - Eric Desjardins
2015-16 - Rod Brind'Amour & Jimmy Watson

It is interesting that over the span of 20 Seasons they have selected only six players and no more than one per year... now over the last two Seasons they will have inducted five players, and no less than two per Season. Is this a change in philosophe/procedure in the Organization? There are quite a few players waiting in the wings like Recchi and Primeau... and off-ice like Lou Nolan... and with the pending Semi-Centennial Expansion celebration expected to be a major event spanning a couple years and League-wise, I imagine that the Hall may be influenced and possibly stressed to some extent... Can we expect many more additions to the Hall? Will this, if done, water down the importance by the shear numbers of what was once such an exclusive group?... Just a couple thoughts.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd always just assumed Jimmy was already in. Currently the best dman developed by the Flyers from the ground up. Hell, the only top-level dman developed by the Flyers from the ground up.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Too few Seasons as a Flyer IMO... I believe Recchi stands a better chance for that. It is so tough in this Organization on number retirement, and rightfully so IMO.

Yeah that's probably accurate. If Recchi gets in to the Hall, which I think is a given, I think he'll go up. Has anyone even worn #8 since he left?

EDIT: Duh. Grossmannn.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I would be shocked if they retired Recchi's number. He had good individual success in Philly, but didn't play on a team that made a Final.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would be shocked if they retired Recchi's number. He had good individual success in Philly, but didn't play on a team that made a Final.

Yeah but he played ten years here and had his best seasons here. I guess we will find out really what the criteria is to have your number retired. Is it HHOF or HHOF and a finals appearance?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I don't think Primeau will get in.

IDK... Preems is a living legend and a loyal soldier who Captained the Flyers really well... and while his numbers are by no means spectacular, he tailored his game to fit a Role he was given... His stats are better than some already in the FHoF and with players such as Schultz and Joe Watson, and even I suppose Poulin in the Hall, a decent argument can be made fir Keith... But that said, it is mainly for the stressful times he led the Team, the way the fans took to him, the Organization-friendly concessions he gave, and the sad situation that caused his early retirement that should earn him a spot... That one super long PostSeason run where he carried the Team on his back and willed them some wins certainly doesn't hurt either.

JMO... FWIW

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Yeah but he played ten years here and had his best seasons here. I guess we will find out really what the criteria is to have your number retired. Is it HHOF or HHOF and a finals appearance?

Well, Howe broke the old "rule" of having to have been part of a Stanley Cup winning team, so it's honestly up in the air for me.

I personally think Lindros is the only player worthy from the years that I've been following the team (since '92). And I'm not even sure that he should get the nod.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

Nowhere has it ever been inferred by the Organization about a Finals appearance... Granted, at one point a Cup win seemed to be a standard, but with Howe that is no longer the case. I think we are now merely imposing our own restrictions without anything to back it up.

At this point Recchi strikes me more as a general NHL player than as a player on any one team.

With all due respect, we all debated this in other posts... at least one dedicated to the subject... but to sum it up, Rex played as a Flyers more than anywhere else and gathered his stats here more than other Organizations... and IIRC many were more than the others combined... He holds Flyers Single Season Records and most notably for points and possibly Assists (not sure on that one though... maybe Clarke)... His only high spots outside the Flyers is that he won his three Cups elsewhere... He was a loyal soldier who had his heart broken by Clarke during the LockOut and impending Cap Era that caused Clarke to not make an offer... after which the Pens made him an off er he couldn't refuse. He was prepared to retire in O&B and live in Haddonfield. To me he was a Flyer and will always be one... He is a hell of a guy also and is presently kind to the Flyers fans on Twitter and elsewhere. while he may be a "general NHL player", he should be able to be claimed by the Flyers with a much stronger case than by any other Organization, even the ones he won Cups with... and not even close by all indicators besides the Cups.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Flyerdelphia ‏@Flyerdelphia · 11m11 minutes ago
UPDATE: #Flyers will honor Brind'Amour on Nov. 23, and Watson on Feb. 29 http://*******/1FNNdSk

Here we go... early report.

UPDATE: Brind'Amour's Hall of Fame induction will be celebrated prior to a game against the Hurricanes on Nov. 23, while Watson will be honored on Feb. 29 prior to a matchup against Calgary.

In addition to the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, the Flyers will commemorate Kimmo Timonen's retirement in a pregame ceremony on Oct. 14 against Chicago.

The full Flyers promotional schedule can be found here, and includes traditions such as dollar pretzel and hot dog nights, Kids Day on March 19, Fan Appreciation Night on March 30, and much more. The team will also hold several "awareness nights" such as Hockey Fights Cancer (Oct. 24), Military Appreciation Night (Nov. 10), Snider Hockey Night (March 3) and Autism Awareness Night (April 2), in addition to their first-ever Make-a-Wish Night on Jan. 13.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad