Confirmed with Link: Jim Schoenfeld Steps Down

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Slats was 75. Schony is 66. They're old. I'm sure they loved what they did but probably thought it was time. I bet Schoenfeld discussed this with Slats before Glen stepped down. Schoenfeld has four grown kids and probably a bunch of grand kids by now. He probably wants to spend time with his family.

Gorton is 50. Drury is 42. They have Ortmeyer, Leetch, Richards, and Graves with prominent roles. I bet Gordie Clark, who is 66, will be gone soon as well. Who ever they bring in as President will probably be somewhere around Gorton/Leetch in age (unless it's JD). The new guard (even if it's the old guard). Risebrough and Barnett will be on their way out soon.

The team is transitioning to a new generation and so is the front office.
Not so fast on Gordie. He and Gorton are tight. I wouldn’t be surprised though if he transitions into a different role (e.g. senior advisor)

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Would not be surprised if this is Gordie's last draft. Would make sense for him to stay on and then step down right after the draft.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I could see Gordie having at least one last draft in him (2020), and using it as part of the final transition. Especially if the Rangers have a lottery pick and/or multiple first rounders.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... I bet Gordie Clark, who is 66, will be gone soon as well... Risebrough and Barnett will be on their way out soon.

Barnett for sure, a 100% Slats guy.
Gordie, as the team lead, if his relations with Gorts is good, no need to rush him out, even if they transition among the scouting staff

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I would like Gorton t
Slats was 75. Schony is 66. They're old. I'm sure they loved what they did but probably thought it was time. I bet Schoenfeld discussed this with Slats before Glen stepped down. Schoenfeld has four grown kids and probably a bunch of grand kids by now. He probably wants to spend time with his family.

Gorton is 50. Drury is 42. They have Ortmeyer, Leetch, Richards, and Graves with prominent roles. I bet Gordie Clark, who is 66, will be gone soon as well. Who ever they bring in as President will probably be somewhere around Gorton/Leetch in age (unless it's JD). The new guard (even if it's the old guard). Risebrough and Barnett will be on their way out soon.

I think Gorton should take the top job.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I have complete and total faith in Gorton. If he is given the promotion, I'm fully on board. He's such a good GM.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Some interesting stuff on Shoney's Wiki page...

Schoenfeld is remembered for an altercation with NHL referee Don Koharski after Game 3 of the 1988 Wales Conference Finals after his New Jersey Devils lost 6–1 to the Boston Bruins. During the argument Koharski fell down and accused Schoenfeld of pushing him. As people yelled at Schoenfeld, at least one saying "you're done", believing that he'd pushed Koharski, Schoenfeld continued arguing with Koharski who said he hoped that the entire exchange was on videotape. Schoenfeld yelled back, "Good, 'cause you fell, you fat pig! Have another doughnut! Have another doughnut!" as Koharski and the other officials headed to their dressing room.[2][3] Schoenfeld was suspended by League disciplinarian Brian O'Neill for the following game, but the Devils sought a court order to overturn the suspension. About 40 minutes before the start of the game, New Jersey Superior Court Judge James F. Madden issued a restraining order allowing Schoenfeld to coach, subsequently triggering a walkout by the scheduled Game 4 officials: referee Dave Newell and linesmen Gord Broseker and Ray Scapinello. After more than an hour's delay, three local off-ice officials – Paul McInnis, Jim Sullivan and Vin Godleski – were tracked down to work the game. The Devils went on to win the game by a score of 3-1, but Schoenfeld was later suspended for Game 5 and the officials returned to work.[4]

This incident was parodied later in the movie Wayne's World, when a rather large and apathetic police officer named Officer Koharski hung out at the counter of Stan Mikita's Doughnut Shop. The movie used Stan Mikita's as the name of a doughnut shop, as a parody reference to the chain Tim Hortons. Coincidentally, during the final part of his career, Tim Horton himself teamed on defense with a young Jim Schoenfeld with the Buffalo Sabres. Later, Schoenfeld often paired with Jerry Korab.

Musical career[edit]

Schoenfeld also recorded two albums during his time in Buffalo, both of which were recorded in collaboration with Buffalo Music Hall of Fame singer and producer John Valby. The first, Schony, was released in 1972 and credited solely to Schoenfeld; the album consisted mostly of cover versions of a broad variety of songs (often radically rearranged from the originals), with two originals: the Valby-penned bluegrass tune "Barbecue in Heaven" and Schoenfeld's own "Before." He recorded a second album in 1974 entitled The Key Is Love; this album, which was credited to both Schoenfeld and Valby, consisted of all original songs.[8]

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
That would be one step forward and 20 steps back, into the Dark Ages again. Maloney is and was terrible.
Agree with this. Want no part of Don in a front office capacity here. His drafting record here and in Arizona has been abysmal.

I can see Gordie Clark jumping into Schoney's role and Bobrov being promoted.

Reactions: Paulie Walnutz

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Some interesting stuff on Shoney's Wiki page...

Schoenfeld is remembered for an altercation with NHL referee Don Koharski after Game 3 of the 1988 Wales Conference Finals after his New Jersey Devils lost 6–1 to the Boston Bruins. During the argument Koharski fell down and accused Schoenfeld of pushing him. As people yelled at Schoenfeld, at least one saying "you're done", believing that he'd pushed Koharski, Schoenfeld continued arguing with Koharski who said he hoped that the entire exchange was on videotape. Schoenfeld yelled back, "Good, 'cause you fell, you fat pig! Have another doughnut! Have another doughnut!" as Koharski and the other officials headed to their dressing room.[2][3] Schoenfeld was suspended by League disciplinarian Brian O'Neill for the following game, but the Devils sought a court order to overturn the suspension. About 40 minutes before the start of the game, New Jersey Superior Court Judge James F. Madden issued a restraining order allowing Schoenfeld to coach, subsequently triggering a walkout by the scheduled Game 4 officials: referee Dave Newell and linesmen Gord Broseker and Ray Scapinello. After more than an hour's delay, three local off-ice officials – Paul McInnis, Jim Sullivan and Vin Godleski – were tracked down to work the game. The Devils went on to win the game by a score of 3-1, but Schoenfeld was later suspended for Game 5 and the officials returned to work.[4]

This incident was parodied later in the movie Wayne's World, when a rather large and apathetic police officer named Officer Koharski hung out at the counter of Stan Mikita's Doughnut Shop. The movie used Stan Mikita's as the name of a doughnut shop, as a parody reference to the chain Tim Hortons. Coincidentally, during the final part of his career, Tim Horton himself teamed on defense with a young Jim Schoenfeld with the Buffalo Sabres. Later, Schoenfeld often paired with Jerry Korab.

Musical career[edit]

Schoenfeld also recorded two albums during his time in Buffalo, both of which were recorded in collaboration with Buffalo Music Hall of Fame singer and producer John Valby. The first, Schony, was released in 1972 and credited solely to Schoenfeld; the album consisted mostly of cover versions of a broad variety of songs (often radically rearranged from the originals), with two originals: the Valby-penned bluegrass tune "Barbecue in Heaven" and Schoenfeld's own "Before." He recorded a second album in 1974 entitled The Key Is Love; this album, which was credited to both Schoenfeld and Valby, consisted of all original songs.[8]

Reactions: Lion Hound

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I would like Gorton t

I think Gorton should take the top job.

It's possible that the idea is that JD is brought in as president to sort out the general organization and Gorton remains GM of the Rangers. Then if all works out (personalities, success, etc.), by the time JD retires, Gorton will look to move up to President and Drury will step up as GM. I don't know if there are many teams in the NHL that have organized a management pipeline like that. I can see the good or the bad, if that's what they're trying to do.

Reactions: Cag29

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not so fast on Gordie. He and Gorton are tight. I wouldn’t be surprised though if he transitions into a different role (e.g. senior advisor)

Barnett for sure, a 100% Slats guy.
Gordie, as the team lead, if his relations with Gorts is good, no need to rush him out, even if they transition among the scouting staff
Yeah, didn't mean to imply anyone will be pushed out necessarily, just that there are some guys in the organization that are approaching or fully in the twilight of their careers, and likely to step aside (or as Bob said, step into a less active role) over the next couple years as the team really starts to gear up after the rebuild.

Reactions: bobbop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad