Confirmed with Link: Jim Rutherford wins GM of the Year!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not only was this very well deserved, but it was the flat out easiest choice of all the awards.

Johnston out, Sullivan in

Scuderi out, Daley in

Perron out, Hagelin in

Sutter out, Bonino in

Package out, Kessel in

Adams out, Cullen in

Everything he did this year had a tremendous impact when it mattered most.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
7222.f.jpg

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
To anyone here who hated on GMJR (like me): At least you don't look as dumb as that Greek dude from Carolina.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Much deserved.

He got his man in Kessel, brought in some depth and made the tough decisions when it wasn't working out early.

Oh and he got three of the kids signed on the cheap.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Congrats to JR.

I didn't think much of him as a GM after 2015, but man alive did he do a phnomenal job. I'll happily eat crow on this one. Well done

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
I still have a hard time believing that a "washed-up retread" playing the role of old sensei to a couple of GM prospects and a longtime disciple and assistant to Tortorella greatly aided this team to a Stanley Cup. It's crazy.

And if he lost this award to GMBM or Nill, that would have been absolute robbery. Much deserved award for JR.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You're already seeing the NHL trend back towards retreads instead of the shiny new toys, with Carlyle, Boucher/Crawford & Gulutzan getting hired. I think you'll see the same with GMs as well.

JR was hired because his experience would allow him to fix the mess Shero left a lot faster than a rookie like Botterill or MacIver could've, and he did that.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
You're already seeing the NHL trend back towards retreads instead of the shiny new toys, with Carlyle, Boucher/Crawford & Gulutzan getting hired. I think you'll see the same with GMs as well.

JR was hired because his experience would allow him to fix the mess Shero left a lot faster than a rookie like Botterill or MacIver could've, and he did that.

With the added benefit of letting Botterill learn from JR and be in a position to succeed him whilst inheriting a very stable situation. That really is the best possible outcome.

On the flip side, you have Arizona with their 27 year old GM who thinks Alex Goligoski is worth $5.5 million per. Ouch.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Good for JR. I have always liked him as a person, he seems like the genuine article. I rooted for him and have had a soft spot for him even when he was in Carolina, but damn did I ever question him on several occasions. I thought he was out of his mind at some points, too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad