Jim Rutherford "likely out in Pittsburgh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Rossi is a clown and I have an all new respect for JR.

That said, JR sucks as a GM. But I have no faith in upper mgmt/ownership to find the right guy. None. Mario is clueless.

I definitely agree. I don't trust ownership to make the correct move in hiring a competent GM.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
source? I want to believe this as it's so like him, but that just means that one should be all the more cautious about being taken in.

Dejan Kovacevic's original point on the topic, made in the comments section of one of his articles:

I'll say one thing about this and nothing more: Yes, I saw and heard it. Things like this happen all the time in this business. It's not at all unusual. The only difference in this case is that it was written about, even though the exchange was not an interview and not on the record. That is something I have never done and will never do. If I do, I will personally write all of you refund checks for your subscriptions.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Most sports columnists would get banned for message boards for being opportunistic trolls.

I'm not fan of Rutherford (he did an awful job in Carolina and got extremely lucky one year), but Rossi's criticisms are way off. Take two top 4 d-men off of ANY team and they're going to struggle. The Neal trade was a decent return and getting Ehrhoff on a 1 year deal was a steal.

I didn't like the Perron deal, but, overall, the team struggled down the stretch and got a bad draw playing NYR vs playing the Isles/Caps where they'd be better suited.

Rutherford shouldn't engage him though outside of the press conferences/media scrums. This is just asking for trouble and giving a troll fodder to attack you with.

He traded Despres away for a guy who had almost no chance of living up to expectations and 99% of fans knew was a bad trade since day 1.

The guy might be a horrid reporter but it isn't like JR is a solid GM either :laugh: The guy has gotten by on reputation for way too long, over a lucky run a decade ago.

Obviously they should have hired Pierre

Anyone who knows me knows I'm the furthest thing from a McGuire supporter, but if it was between him and JR I'd much rather go with Pierre. At least you aren't 100% sure your GM is going to be crap like you are with JR, just 99% :laugh:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/8209495-74/rutherford-penguins-final#axzz3XwzzaopA

Then there was this.

Can't say Pens fans will be too upset if he indeed gets shown the door.

Jim Rutherford was a bad decision the day they hired him and it is still a bad decision today.

I don't know why anyone thought he would turn around Pittsburgh. He may have drafted fairly well in Carolina but his handling of FAs was generally just overpaying in term and dollar and he didn't have many great standout trades

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Jim Rutherford was a bad decision the day they hired him and it is still a bad decision today.

I don't know why anyone thought he would turn around Pittsburgh. He may have drafted fairly well in Carolina but his handling of FAs was generally just overpaying in term and dollar and he didn't have many great standout trades

"But look at this! He built a Stanley Cuo winner in 2006. We know that's almost 10 years ago, but it is still relevant."

DyerMaker66*

Please not Chiarelli. Please not Chiarelli. Please not Chiarelli.

What would it cost to get Paul Fenton?

Last edited by a moderator:

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com

his drafting is actually abysmal throughout his entire career

his handling of FAs was "i am going to overpay and then toss an NMC on top of that"

he is a horrible GM. we have been hemorrhaging talent since 2006 and have done nearly nothing to replace it

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
his drafting is actually abysmal throughout his entire career

his handling of FAs was "i am going to overpay and then toss an NMC on top of that"

he is a horrible GM. we have been hemorrhaging talent since 2006 and have done nearly nothing to replace it

Bingo. There's very few things that Rutherford did right in Carolina. On occasion, he would get the upper hand in a trade, but it was often overshadowed by baffling draft decisions, overpaying free agents/upcoming free agents, or trading away future talent for lesser players that are more developed.

The latter is exactly what he did in the Despres for Lovejoy trade.

DyerMaker66*

Bingo. There's very few things that Rutherford did right in Carolina. On occasion, he would get the upper hand in a trade, but it was often overshadowed by baffling draft decisions, overpaying free agents/upcoming free agents, or trading away future talent for lesser players that are more developed.

The latter is exactly what he did in the Despres for Lovejoy trade.

I don't even understand that trade. It made me even angrier that we fired Shero for this guy.

BabaBooey1

Mar 18, 2015
He's awful. Made the team worse and hurt their future. I'd fire their coach aswell. Clean house, trade/buy-out MAF, trade Geno for depth would be my plan.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He should be given a medal.

Rossi is the worst damned sports journalist I've ever seen and he's had an agenda since his buddies Rejean & Danny were fired. Hell, he openly admits to not watching the games.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Please not Chiarelli. Please not Chiarelli. Please not Chiarelli.

What would it cost to get Paul Fenton?

Fenton seems like a Nill type to me, hell stay with his team a very long time before he considered another front office job. Or he'll wait for the right situation, which isn't Pittsburgh IMO.

Preds would want something big for compensation tho.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
As for the whole "the exchange wasn't an interview and wasn't on the record" thing, Rutherford has been in the business long enough to know that if you're talking with a reporter, it's on the record unless otherwise stated.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He had two jobs:
Build a defense capable of not allowing goals in the playoffs.
Reduce Crosby's responsibility from the "do everything" guy on his line, so that he's less involved with defense, forechecking and overall puck retrieval, and able to focus more on creating dangerous chances from the possession established by more competent linemates.

And failed miserably at both.

To be fair, he did manage to accomplish both of those things. The problem is that the components that accomplished those goals are all injured simultaneously.

What's going to get (well, what supposedly already has gotten) JR fired is
a) cap management
b) squandered assets
c) that he's a fossil whose time has passed

That 2nd and 3rd (4th?) for 4 weeks of Daniel Winnik is stealthily one of the dumbest, most pointless moves I can recall any Pittsburgh GM making and it forced us to play 5 freaking D for nearly a month.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
As for the whole "the exchange wasn't an interview and wasn't on the record" thing, Rutherford has been in the business long enough to know that if you're talking with a reporter, it's on the record unless otherwise stated.

Another sign of just how clueless he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad